OAR hybrid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
blue moon is my preferred line, i also have some ne escalator. correct on the holes. higher=more bite.

I might be in love.

Middle hole clip-in worked slick with 9mm htp.

Jamie, how's the clip in point evolving?

On to Stephen (hopefully Monday).

Pics don't show anything really.

Canopy raise of low limbs entangled in vine maple below. End weight reduction on reiterant leaders on ponderosa pine.
0acc07e985b74c0d1733c2ae01089813.jpg
cdc60d4ceaeea7e436dacbea42500f00.jpg

Holy chit do I hate inconsistent friction. Glad to be all SRT today.

Usual M.O., APTA, Wraptor ride, anchor (or not) climb line-SRT with a foot ascender, maybe rope walker, rappel out of tree instead of thrashing my way back up through pondo mess, Wraptor up and one final limb, clear climb line. Hang Wraptor. Rappel out. I love labor saving tools/ techniques.

sweet! if you are sending the the device onward, why dont you send it back to me. i have an updated model i will send to Stephen.

Yes, pm your address please.

I've been meaning to get some more time on, but was mostly Wraptoring up conifers, and barely climbing.

I tried the top hole, but was too tight. With the clip in as it is, I am using beeline tied in a kleimheist like a foot lock prusik which add some drag ascending and descending. The B line is very new and the HTP is slick and only 1 millimeter larger at 9 millimeters therefore I have to put on a ton of wraps. It's possible that the top hole would be appropriate for the 9 millimeter HTP alone.

This Tapatalk voice recognition posting is wicked !!!

Smiling... I think I figured it out.. Short a smaller crab for the chest attachment.. Fix that this week and I will fly it some. Looks Great Jamie! Thanks and I will do some write up soon. :)
DSCF0145.jpg

Sooooo .... got to use it on an ascent today. Been setting it up with my gear around the house to make sure I have it dialed in. Little 40 foot ascent today on a blue oak.
Jamie! You have out done your self man. This thing is smooth as silk.
I was climbing on Aztec, orange PI FWIW. Sweet. Tended nicely .. Behaved real nice. Picked the lowest hole on the adjustment. Seemed about right with my weight. I wish I had a HAAS to play with it. I just used my good old frog walker set up.
The unit looks too tight for 13mm (1/2"). But I have the HH for that stuff when needed.
Going to play with it some more. I think I will order a HAAS for myself since my sister got me a WesSpur gift cert. for Christmas. :D

Uhhh... :|::|::|::|::|::|::|:..... Dang, you guys rock.

Old Dogs+New Tricks=:rockon:

I'm such an inbred retard though. I absolutely can't STAND to run dDrt very much anymore, but I don't even have a hybrid device yet. I just use the skinny ultratech in a VT with one extra wrap, with no device. Makes all decending a pita.

I'm going to chose what device I buy, based on how this thread turns out. Tried my friends rope wrench, and (though it's a heck of a lot better than nothing) was less than impressed. I can't wait to see how things develop.

Jed, I run both Ddrt and Srt in most trees. I do not rely on only one system. The hybrids make it perfectly possible to switch back and forth while working the tree. Much faster to use the proper system that is best for the task at hand especially on the fly.
Paul, I will be probably making or buying the HAAS that does not have a foot loop, but has a point of attachment so I can set it up to clip right into my ankle strap.
Right now I just attach the HH or OAR to my bridge and use a double hand ascender to advance it. Frog walker.

....but I don't even have a hybrid device yet. I just use the skinny ultratech in a VT with one extra wrap, with no device. Makes all decending a pita....

I am at a loss for polite words to describe what I think of this. If you like working a tree SRWP just pick one of the great tools that are designed for it and get one.

Company constraints? Just being inbred? I did this about 5 years ago, after my GriGri handle broke, when WR were wood.

Sorry, Jed. I reread my last post and it came out a lot harsher then what I was thinking. Obviously I think it is a terrible idea but I didn't mean to come across as a dick. I read most of your posts so I know you are smart, well liked and with a great sense of humor. We don't need to loose you from something silly.

Supposedly, you can run a 1/2" climbing rope hitch on a 5/8" climbing rope. Don't know.

Jed, a bit of a footlock positioning of your feet on the rope will use your boots as a friction point, helping to rappel off just a hitch cord. Split the friction, like a HH and WR do.

Really loving this tool Jamie. Did some dead wood and cabling assessment on an old friend today.. I really need to order that knee ascender set up to appreciate it more. It is very intuitive. Feels pretty much like my dialled in hitch. Ddrt has been nice as well. Again.... very intuitive.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yF34UeUTCHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what an awesome tree! good to hear you like it. i really dont want to step on Gordons toes, so i have begun work on a new design that does not, i hope, infringe his product. cheers

I don't know how you are thinking of pricing. I really like how this is set up though.
Now granted, I have not tried Gordons design.
Only thing lacking for me in this product would be the ability to take 13mm line. Works a dream on my 12.7. (PI,BM,Aztec........)
As a hybrid, It works for nice SRT or Ddrt.
I wish there was a better locking pin solution, but it works and never worries me.
This thing feels bullet proof.
I would like to keep it a tad longer to try some sappy trees and maybe a knee ascender if I may. I got some birthday and Christmas money to play with :D
That tree was fun to play with it in. I wish Rob could have got a vid of me crossing over to the other side sliding down the cabling.. :D

Wow, could this newbie get on the list?

I don't know how you are thinking of pricing. I really like how this is set up though.
Now granted, I have not tried Gordons design.
pricing is not an option as i have used gordons design on condition i would not sell. doesnt mean i cant give a few away though:D. i never really loved the pin either tbh, hard to operate, need to keep a fingernail to push the catch.

cory, i dont remember who was next on the list to try it. if no one chimes in we'll put you up next.

Back