OAR hybrid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
that is possible in the older versions. it is fixed in the new. be aware of it, but it never happened in the field in the time ive been climbing on it. it can only happen if the anchor is set to the middle hole.

I would like to remind everyone that the oar is Gordon's property. The version I have worked out is with his permission and ultimately belongs to him as well. I can't help myself when it comes to tinkering, and I want to see this oar project off the ground. Hopefully my design will contribute to that end.

i believe southsound still has it. i dont know who is next on the list to give it a go.

I think I would like to be on the list. I am not all that hip on mechanical hitching, but your modded devise looks like it would be the one I would consider. It or the Rope Runner.

Stephen, pm me your address.

I haven't had a second to try it, and was back to work today, but didn't saddle up at all. Tomorrow...

I have been using the bone for several months. It is superior to a hitch cord based SRT system: it provides consistent friction, doesn't require periodic hitch cord purchases and self tends around 15 to 30 feet depending on set up.

I humbly suggest not waiting for the demo and contacting Gordon (surveyor) to inquire about purchasing one or as some people are doing two

Periodic bulk hitch purchases Raj?

Well I have run out of work. If you are still going I'll come and do a tree with you and bring the bone.

I can't think of one thing that I'm on schedule for. I finally got a chance to climb a little today, chunking down a maple habitat tree into a shorter habitat tree. APTA helped me with a first-shot hit on the target crotch on an neighboring fir as a high TIP. I didn't get to do too much on it, and I am climbing on a 1/2" line. My guess is that 11/ 11.7 would be much better. I'll see if I can do that tomorrow. I'm interested to see what you have going with the clip-in. Since I have the non-locking pin, and my HH was already on my line, just ran the HH underneath to back it up. Seems that pulling down on the OAR was compressing my HH, as it conveniently happened.

My first impression is that its going to become fine tuned into a winner! I wonder what kind of strength testing it will withstand for legally compliant use.

I got some time on with a relatively new (slick) piece of 9mm HTP. I backed it up with a new piece of beeline tied into a kleimheist friction hitch, as it was a full sized climb in the middle of a tree (aka tree to hit below me if I slid or the connector pin, which is in R and D, pulled/ pushed out, but it was no problem).

This fed smoothly while rope walking on HTP. 1/2" xtc tended by hand smoothly, but not self advancing when spurring up the spar, with the HH below as back up, a few days ago. I don't think it would self-feed with 1/2", but maybe.

My set-up was good for advancing, and descending, but slid to a stop, or I had to the OAR-h a bit. Wet conditions, slick rope, small diameter.

I will try it on 11.7mm Poison Hyvee next, hopefully today.

I wonder if the rope needs to bend a little more. The middle arm seemed to be doing little 'work'. Maybe the position of the roller needs to be out a few mm, or a larger roller???

I didn't try the different attachment holes. Are they just to adjust the amount of squeeze to release, or do they adjust the friction? Could I get more 'bite' out of a middle or top hole attachement?

Aside from needing a little more friction for small, wet, slick rope, and the developing attachment point becoming more secure, this thing is a winner.

Again, a note, the carabiner clip in hole needs to avoid being able to jam the biner gate into a sideloading situation, a la the ZZ. A slightly bigger clip in hole???

I didn't try the different attachment holes. Are they just to adjust the amount of squeeze to release, or do they adjust the friction? Could I get more 'bite' out of a middle or top hole attachment?

deffinitely try the different settings. they adjust the friction and the squeeze.

ive never tried it on 9mm rope, im honestly a little surprised (and pleased) it worked.

there are infinite possibilities for adjustment with differing size rollers.

the anchor point is a work in progress...

Will do.

What do you typically climb on?

Regarding the different holes, you are saying that holes higher up give more bite, right?

Back