O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

They are very small and might not meet safety regs. Their top speed is 55 more or less. They are four wheel drive and not meant for interstates. They can have little dumpers on them, refrigerator, delivery box, little tankers, anything you can think of. Most people here use them as hunting atvs, off road, ranch and farm vehicles. They have heat and lights and all the amenities unlike some other ranch/farm trucks. They have high clearance, tight turning radius and get 60- 70 mpg. They have diesel and gas and manual and automatic. There are some little bitty work vans that are also sweet. The steering wheel is on the wrong side but they are so small I don't think it matters.

It is gd criminal we can't import small trucks to the USA without a 25% tariff. Kevin is right about the tiny trucks not meeting safety regs, but the "chicken tax" on foriegn trucks is what keeps the next size up out of US markets.

I have gone down a pretty serious rabbit hole trying to figure out how to import a Toyota dyna truck. It can be done, but only with trucks 25 or more years old!

I disagree 100% with this assessment. A jaguar is a toy. These are incredibly designed and well thought out tools. We are shooting ourselves in the foot by not allowing these things over here.
I'll defer to your more experienced opinion Kevin, regarding the kei trucks. In an urban environment, they may be the best thing going, I wouldn't know...though in the rural setting I still think they would be too small and underpowered. But that may well be wrong.

As to the Jag...right again, it's definitely a toy, though not exactly toy-like :).

I think most Kei trucks in the USA are used in rural The states the allow them often specify that they are only to be used in rural places. It depends on what job you are asking of the truck but just because it's small does not mean its a toy. Although it is true that most people's trucks are in fact toys that are never used for one tenth of what they are capable of. These kei trucks are more truck than most truck owners ever need.

All true.

Really, by calling them a toy, I meant that if one cannot drive it on a road or street legally, it can only function as a cute toy. I didn't make that clear, obviously.

I agree toy. I have been starring at them for a week and half now. Maybe a six inch chipper and dump body but at a guess two yard capacity. And I have my doubts about holding up well. If you are into really small prunings or trimming hedges it might be good. But that is about it.

I'd like to see how high I could stack brush on the back. Hauling rounds might need a conservative approach...

Yeh there has to be a lot of epic photos to share from there. I saw a great one awhile back, a skinny kid on a skinny bike carrying a fridge. Did I see that here??:|:

We took the ultimate plunge and decided to go big...our newest crane, GMK3055. 60 ton AT with 141’ of main boom. Such an amazing piece of equipment.

Attachments

• 2ECB29EF-7B5A-4285-942A-01E75CA0FC58.jpeg
    2ECB29EF-7B5A-4285-942A-01E75CA0FC58.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 704C8647-6BFC-4732-935F-4CB29421A3EA.jpeg
    704C8647-6BFC-4732-935F-4CB29421A3EA.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 98154757-39CA-4D60-BF5A-40A84F69B03A.png
    98154757-39CA-4D60-BF5A-40A84F69B03A.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 4D40A228-01E1-4D52-8745-09109E0A9A3C.jpeg
    4D40A228-01E1-4D52-8745-09109E0A9A3C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 532A3A18-6F29-4620-B427-6E5434711865.jpeg
    532A3A18-6F29-4620-B427-6E5434711865.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 4362294F-70BE-4C49-8A6C-22F6985BABBE.jpeg
    4362294F-70BE-4C49-8A6C-22F6985BABBE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Omfg That is truly amazing. Likely the ultimate tree crane on earth. Who'd ya buy it from, was it a tree service crane or construction type crane?

You probably know the Mayer Tree saga, afaik they pioneered the use of the GMK for daily tree work.

As I recall you have a small crew, 4 people?

Lordy you must crank out the work with that bad boy and save your bodies big time.

Crazy impressive, thanks for posting.

Hi Cory,

We purchased it from shawmut, came from a tree company. They did a complete boom overhaul prior to our purchase of it so everything boom wise is brand new. Yup we are still a small crew, just 4 of us. We do a lot of trees haha. EAB is still hitting us hard so it’s going to be fantastic for all the removals we have coming up.

Wasn't it his quote when asked how he could afford a crane his answer was "i can't afford to not own them because they make so much money!" ?

That always struck a chord with me, very good way to look at it.

Way to go Mike! Are there any restrictions on the roads with that truck in your area? Is the federal bridge law a concern? We would need to pay for trip permits every single time here with that truck.

Also, I am still rockin your shirt that you gave me years ago.

Way to go Mike! Are there any restrictions on the roads with that truck in your area? Is the federal bridge law a concern? We would need to pay for trip permits every single time here with that truck.

Also, I am still rockin your shirt that you gave me years ago.
Haha i still have the shirt I got you from you too!! Yes it’s a daily permit but most of our jobs are close so the permits are pretty reasonable.

Interesting about the daily permits. Must be a PITA sometimes, no last minute schedule change or emergency work I presume?.
I had a crane operator tell me that he didn't need a CDL or plates for a crane as it is considered a piece of construction equipment. I am about 99.9% sure he is mistaken any truth to that? He was running a 27tonner.

Interesting about the daily permits. Must be a PITA sometimes, no last minute schedule change or emergency work I presume?.
I had a crane operator tell me that he didn't need a CDL or plates for a crane as it is considered a piece of construction equipment. I am about 99.9% sure he is mistaken any truth to that? He was running a 27tonner.

Ha yea he is wrong, definitely needs a cdl. My crane doesn’t require a plate because the permit is considered the registration. Most of the permits will be auto issued so it’s pretty quick to get one. Maybe an hour or so.

Buying a crane previously owned by a tree service would be scary to me, not trashing your move, just saying.

Are you keeping your other crane, what was it, a 33t?

In CT, that crane is not roadable even with a permit!

You probably considered a grapple saw truck when you were deciding to upgrade, why did you go with a stick boom, higher productivity?

Buying a crane previously owned by a tree service would be scary to me, not trashing your move, just saying.

Are you keeping your other crane, what was it, a 33t?

In CT, that crane is not roadable even with a permit!

You probably considered a grapple saw truck when you were deciding to upgrade, why did you go with a stick boom, higher productivity?
With a couple boom rebuild it made us feel more at ease. Everything boom wise is brand new. I don’t even want to say how much they put into it. We have a 38 ton and we are probably going to sell it. I like the kbooms but i just feel the productivity with our crew is much higher with the stick crane.

Nice.

Mayer says the GMK's hold their value very well

Back