O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Hopefully there'll be action pics soon, plowing is growing old and I'm yearning for some treework.

This thing will be handier than hell I'm thinking, haven't got to spend anytime on it yet though, already been out sanding for a couple of hours this morning and it's only 5:30am here.

I got it with the BMG grapple(obviously) and the stock bucket, pallet forks, a spare tire, and a spare attachmnt plate for probably just making up a receiver hitch for moving trailers.

Steve that porty looks real nice, I sure wish I had the skill, tools, and inclination to be able to build stuff like that. 8)

The learning curve is a bit steep at first....jus don't catapult yourself using the forks or bucket. oh yeah, handy is an understatement. Don't tell the competition

I'll be practicing with the bucket cleaning up all the little corners of snow in my yard that I haven't been able to get with my plowtruck. Once the sun comes up that's the plan anyways:D.

Yah no one around here for tree services uses one, they just hire guys to bust their backs humping wood. Having recently had alot of employees, I'm looking for anyway that I can keep a smaller crew and use machines over manpower.

I have two dudes and a mini........equals a crew of 5-6 probably. Maybe two minis next..........hmmm.............:D

Yup, I agree. For myself I prefer not having employees and will construct my business in such a way as to not need them.

I made a saw scabbard and a 'biner bracket for my bucket this week. I was going to rebuild my old scabbard but I wanted something that would fit under the hard fiberglass bucket cover without having to be removed every day. I cut the back piece out of an aluminum 'men working' sign and pounded it into shape. The biner bracket was made out of a shelf bracket I removed from one of the toolboxes on the truck.

My old Fujifilm Finepix is slowly dying out. It was to a point that I was starting to miss some good shots. I changed that this morning. :/:

I made the leap to the digital SLR side. It was a little more than what I wanted to pay, but I justified it by knowing I have two decent lenses to start with... a 14-42 mm, and a 40-150 mm lens.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1295

Attachments

• 8359046_ra.jpg
    8359046_ra.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 69
skwerl, somehow I could see myself leaning way out and cutting my pants/leg on the corner of that "beaner" bracket..

why so many?

Yeah, Butch is right. It's on the control handle/ boom side of the bucket and the front edge is rounded over so it's not sharp. I have so many because I made up different size slings and I'd rather have a few extra holes in the bracket than not enough.

Steve, they are just 5/8" rope slings spliced at both ends. They range from 5'-10' long and I use them like oversize loop runners. If I'm topping a tree and catching the lead, it's easier to choke it off to itself using a sling rather than drag up a 100' bullrope. Especially since I'm not lowering anything down on the rope. I'll use the shortest sling that will fit in order to reduce the drop distance and shock loading. And the best part is that I don't need somebody on the ground holding the other end of a rope.

Brian, be carefull and keep in mind working around electric that thru bolts in the liner and/or bucket has seriously compromised the dialectric protection provided by them.

got ya, i work on all sides of the bucket, less time moving. Sometimes theres no choice to work over the controls/boom.

Andrew, those bolt heads you see on the saw scabbard don't go into the bucket. They attach the plywood to the aluminum plate, which is bent to hang on the bucket lip. I flipped it over and ground off the ends of the screws so they don't poke into the bucket.

On the bracket, I did drill two tiny bolt holes through the liner. Theoretically it matters but realistically it's a dry area in between a nonconductive liner and a nonconductive bucket so I'm not very concerned. I am rather cautious around power lines also. Thanks for the heads up.

got ya, i work on all sides of the bucket, less time moving. Sometimes theres no choice to work over the controls/boom.

Sure, I do too - but you gotta remember Brian's truck is a materials handler. There's a lot more boom on that side over from a convential bucket set-up.

so a guy i worked for a year ago came by today, hes wanting to sell me an 075 that runs and a parts saw, misc bars and chains for 500 bucks. yall think its worth it? id actually like to get another 090 to rip planks and cants.
another guy has a 2100 with a 6 foot bar and an alaskan mill for 700 bucks. sounds like a good deal. any advice?

Andrew, those bolt heads you see on the saw scabbard don't go into the bucket. They attach the plywood to the aluminum plate, which is bent to hang on the bucket lip. I flipped it over and ground off the ends of the screws so they don't poke into the bucket.

On the bracket, I did drill two tiny bolt holes through the liner. Theoretically it matters but realistically it's a dry area in between a nonconductive liner and a nonconductive bucket so I'm not very concerned. I am rather cautious around power lines also. Thanks for the heads up.

Brian, my local hardware store carries a variety of nylon bolts, nuts, and washers. To get the strength you'd want for that bracket, you would need to up the diameter from what you have now, but you could change over and be fully dielectric using them, fwiw.

Lol I was fishing. Right now my new Bandit 250 is in the dealer's shop getting the once over for pick-up tomorrow morning. No pics til tomorrow, but I'm excited as hell.

Felt weird to pay for it and leave with just the manuals :?

Back