O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

That's awesome info Brian, totally makes sense about the water as it'd take a hell of a lot of fluid to get it to level. So your saying to just drape the inside of the can with a garbage bag? Prevent rusting maybe?

Thanks dude.

Not just a garbage bag, they have special liners for those cans that are extra resistant to solvents. A garbage bag will turn into a gooey molten glob in a few months. Check with your NAPA store or your local Snap On rep. Dump in your kerosene and ATF, then fill it with water until it's a few inches higher than the pump pickup.

Does it stink up the whole garage, or just the "area"?

The manual is telling me 10 gallons water, 15 gallons solvent. Not to bad. Does kerosene leave an oil residue like diesel fuel? Or is it a bit cleaner?

It's been a long time, but I think I used #2 white kerosene. At that time there were a couple gas stations that sold it at the pump but they are long gone now. The #2 is cleaner than pump diesel, plus the detergents in the ATF help as well. You can use more but 5 gallons is plenty. I used mine for about 5-6 years before moving and it was still plenty clean. Second location was about 2-3 years before I sold it back to my dad when he bought my lawn business.

It won't smell any more than any other piece of equipment with fuel in it, especially if you keep the lid shut when it isn't in use.

I'm excited about my new-to-me Ramsey winch with a hitch mount. Got if from a guy that used to pull firewood logs out from a local logger's jobs for his personal use. 10 or 12K. Got it with about 150' of 3/8" cable, needing power wires. A friend fixed the remote plug (no power feed out, due to a broken tab). It will fit both my pick-up and my chip truck, mounting and powering off the engine. Getting ready for winter storms. $225 out the door. Already used it to winch a small uprooted flowering plum off of a house, paying for half of it (gotta figure in all the other job costs). One more simple job and its paid for itself, easy.

SST, be real careful about pulls that are not in line with the hitch...towing hitches are designed for in-line strength, not for sideways strain. I've seen a hitch mount folded over from winching off to the side only a little. Personally, I'd change it for a permanent mount, but that of course restricts your options.

You need more than one snatch block for rigging gear. I've also seen beautiful winch installations left useless in many situations by lack of rigging gear at hand.

This is the basic set that goes everywhere with me, to support working with my Warn M12000. I have more, much more, available for special applications.

Attachments

• Dscn0843.jpg
    Dscn0843.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 23
That is real close to my winch box Burhnam short the third Johnson block, and sound advice on the pull direction, when I first got my winch and welded a hitch to my 77 f350 I wanted to test welds, how much would it move the truck, ect. I watched it roll a touch. didnt fold but it was close and I was glad I took the time to see it's limitations. welded some cross braces in for added piece of mind.

My big dogs from Baileys came today for the 066... Down side.. No new clutch cover, it is back ordered:whine:
Hard heads came today.. Just in time for that Ninja Pondo drop... :/:

Burnham, thanks for the helpful advice. I'm just planning on using it in the hitch for straight, in-line pulls for logs on the ground or brush. I'll plan to re-direct through a block of whatever other pulling I need to do.

I'll get more gear as money allows.

My plan it to mount it with welded hitch tube onto the front of my chip truck, when I get a little extra dough. My electrical wiring will be set up to be able to clamp onto the battery terminals on my dual terminal battery, and have to work out another connection for the battery with a single set of posts.

I'm also wanting to mount a piece of hitch tube and supports on the towing frame on the back of the chip truck to be able to have a block on the top of the chip box, so that I can hoist wood with tongs. I'll have to be aware of leverage and bracing.

All in time, hopefully not too much of it.

Here's the new cutter wheel for the stump grinder; I'll probably get around to installing it this weekish.

2010-11-13100639.jpg

Back