Notchless Felling?

RopeArmour

TreeHouser
Anyone give this a go?
I ahve done this many times,
Fluchcut with the ground and utilizing the root flare to get it to the lay.
Oaks, maples and Spruce and pines all seem to cooperate when the root flare
is in tact and the centre of mass is to the lay. A few times ropes and wedges needed to get r to tip. Very little barber chair.
I know its crazy but this is coming from the same guy likes to throw an all metal wt/not metal in a bag. :P
It follows the same principle as shoulder cutting limbs on removals and the two main benefits are less time suckin in exhaust when your in the hole and the time savings from skipping the notch.
Run like Hell boys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep 3 cuts is way better.
Most of my work is urban or developement and usually
crap trees on a fence a line or hedge row and find the need to go
verry low to miss the metal then again rocks and dirt aren't much better.

I remember flipping the rear axle upside down on my Chevy nomad station wagon, just to see what would happen. I had four speeds in reverse and didn't need a rear view mirror to see behind.

Still stuck in the box men?

I call it transcending the notch... both at the stump and in the air (from the bucket mostly)....

incredibly fast, safe and efficient... in many cases far safer than using a notch/undercut..

You just gotta know how and when... this goes far beyond just using a straight back cut (which has its place too)..

For those of you stuck in your orthodoxies, I've tried to explain things nicely in the past, but it doesn't work. You're so full of yourselves, you can't imagine there is someone out there that knows something you don't. You'd rather talk crap than humble yourselves and try to learn something.

If I showed you how easy tree work could be you'd cry from all the time and energy you've wasted for so many years..

( been quiet around here lately Butch... so here's a little fire LOL)

I have used a straight back many times chunking down wood but not for felling a whole tree. I like gunning the witness marks on the saw making an undercut and driving a stake with the tree because it's fun.

I think that we all are willing to learn, Murph. You seem to misinterpret caution at new and unconventional ideas as "full of yourselves". So if it doesn't get lapped up like a thirsty dog at a bowl of water, it's no big deal. You shouldn't post if you feel the need to lecture about it, there are no kids here, and I think the main point of this forum is to enjoy ourselves.

God bless the ignore button.

I use notchless cutting if I'm not trying to save logs and don't give much of a damned if the tree only goes somewhat in the intended direction.
Cutting down acres of small trees for chipping is a good example.

I do it to small trees that don't have much force. It will be a cold day in hell when I take a 70 foot white ash and just stick a saw in the back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.
Still hoping for others experiences be it notchless or notched with observations
more importantly experienced when cutting root flares/compressed/reaction wood

I'd like to see more of this notchless cutting, take more videos murph, maybe of some whole trees being dropped in tight spaces

I would too. I don't understand exactly what is being said/done with it.

Back