Notchless Felling?

Forget about it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/x7mKJffvY14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have held wood in my hands each day for like the last forty years... Goes back even farther if I want to add school shop classes. I remember being in a guy's shop and when the wood came out of his planer, he simply let it fall on the floor in a heap, where it could get dings and bruises. No big deal, it wasn't going to be used for much was his opinion, the scars didn't hurt, even though the edges coming from the saw and jointer were sharp to begin with before the planer. Later he told me that he could see my objection, the principle of the thing. The point is, I think of wood as a material that is worthy of degrees of respect, the material in general, maybe somewhere some 'consciousness' in it. Certainly there are exceptions, but trees generally tend to be pretty so far complete in their totality from outside harm, before being cut. When working with wood while still in the tree form, I like to see clean cuts, not tears and such, if possible, not random helter skelter. A hinge that folds and breaks and tears is often a necessary evil, but I think we all like to see even and as clean as possible effects that can result with skill and knowledge, a degree of care from ourselves to the wood. I can't really put it into words, just a feeling I get when seeing things done like in the video. It slightly pains me to see the tree twist and lose it's years of developed character to randomness. At least with hinges we generally want to rely on what the tree has until the end, some ergonomic symmetry in action, or how best to put it. I wouldn't go so far as to ask how one that does such methods sleeps at night, but I think that most would agree that there is a lot of brutalizing that goes on in the world, and if wood could talk......

Amazing post, Jay. I agree with it all. But I would add that if something is ripped/torn etc etc and it is done on purpose with knowledge and intent, and it is efficient, then it is as "artful" as a more traditional precision cut, it's just less immediately evident to an observer of the result of the cut.

Not that what was is the vid was artful or efficient (the stub didn't need a rope, as Murph said it had front lean, so there is inefficiency) but I'm just speaking to ripped cuts generally.

Holy smokes. He pulled a stub over!

That was Hilarious!

And now, I will dance!

2efjmky.jpg

Daniel, I always watch your vids, one called "tip end rigging" or something like that was very good, indeed, you pulled it 'cos there was the possibility of noobs smacking themselves in the face or something. It was good though.
Not so sure about this particular one.
You're putting it out there though. Chapeau!!! As they say here.

I put the cut the OP recommended on video (and the stills) to further the discussion, and actually found the OP to have a good argument in support of the cut. I tried it and liked it.. At least it something those with small minds and big mouths can fathom... was pretty quick actually going from ridicule to accepted as "goes without saying"...

Back