Not sure if anyone wears Wescos but.

A guy I work with wears Whites. he has gone through two pairs to my one! His boots are rebuilt twice in the amount of time I barely resole mine twice, nevermind rebuild them.

Hoofmans makes a great Pac boot as well!

Wow, check these puppies out! Them canadians must be tuff mo fos

The Tricouni's or however the hell you spell it are awesome but as the boot wears and in the constant wet on our coast they'll end up ripping the side of the boot(sole) off eventually. And it always happens right when you're counting on that extra little bit of grip. I like the tricounis with the trip tip caulk or maybe just a tungsten. Back in the day you could wear your caulks right in the bar in Lumby, you did not want to start sh-t in that place on a friday afternoon.

Funny you should say that Darin. My last pair of Whites took a long time to break in, and when they did they were so comfortable.

Then one real wet winter they seemed to shrink. Despite me keeping them on the PEETS shoe dryer and oiling with Obenoffs (sp) Fiebings, Hubards, etc.

The boots became very uncomfortable after that winter.
My Danners don't last as long but always stay comfortable and the leather doesn't stretch.

I wore my Wescos yesterday just because of this thread. My god, it was like I was walking in mud all day. Back in the box with em! :thumbdown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't like steel toes so I don't add them.
I get lace to toe cause I like my boots tight around my ankle and heel.

Thanks for the input...I have run at least five pair of Redwings into the ground, they have all had steel toes...I was leaning towards the hardened toe with lace to toe...

I hear steel toes are the safest but I used to be a firefighter and have gotten used to not using them. Steel toes heat up when you are walking around in hot ash beds and do not cool down. Getting a hot foot is not fun.

The hardened toes vrs. the steel toes debate!
Oddly enough, the hardened toes have the same safety rating as the steel ones. Except that the hardened toes do not collapse and hold your toes pinched so the hospital has to just go ahead and cut everything off.
And like Darin said, they transfer heat and cold. They add weight, they can cut into the top of your foot doing side hill/ steep work, and cause premature wearing on the tops of your boots.

A lot of 'specs.' dictate steel toes for employees, so employees have no choice in the matter.
Thank goodness I am self employed and don't have to put up with that nonsense.

Thanks Frans , I have noticed these negatives with steel toes...alot of warehouse workers swear the steel is a toe remover in an accident...

I've had to misfortune to actually see a guy's toes get amputated by his steel toes. He was working for the garbage company delivering dumpsters and had a trailer with about a dozen dumpsters on the back. He was trying to working the handle on the tongue trying to get it off the ball, then kicking it from the side so the ball would not be under the hitch. The little swivel leg under the tongue collapsed and the tongue fell directly onto the steel toe of his boot, crimping it onto his toes. He lost all 5. I had to use the tire jack to get the tongue off his foot before the ambulance arrived.

Bounce, if your not nice to us, I will contact your job, tell them I am an OSHA officer and ask them if they are in compliance with the 'new' directive mandating steel toes be worn by all employees at your work site.

:)

At this point I could share my opinion of certain OSHA rules... double lock snaps on my safety...no way... why not triple or quadruple independent locking actions...while I am hanging onto a limb passing the snap...OSHA would kill me up there someday!

hmm, the Mythbusters crowd didnt manage to get a steel toe boot to amputate in a bunch of their experiments, guess the real world is a bit different.

Back