New to me gadgets

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 5K
S

sytherstrike

Well I have a new boss now, who is training me to be a better climber. Hes very patient and seems to like my work, evan though I feel slow. I was honest with him when I told me how much experiance I had and he said he'd try me out. He sent me up in a box elder up in some power lines, he told me don't do anything I don't feel comfortable with, but I've worked around lines before so it wasn't a big deal. Than I went up in a very dead tree that was too far gone to tell what it was, but solid enough to climb up 10 feet and take the top out of. He said he could tell I need some training from my climbing, but at least I have the balls to go up trees with hazards around and to be a good climber thats a good start. Than he started sending me home with some different pieces of equipment to make climbing easier on me. I put together the peices with some I already had and came up with this lanyard:
dsci0062.jpg

Its kind of like one Burnham showed me when I first joined the tree house, so I'd like to shoot a thanks out to Burnham for showing the basics on a home made lanyard, and thanks for everyone else, this place is great and I've learned alot from everyone.

Cool! Keep on educating yourself and you'll be a top notch climber in no time! And more importantly, a safe one.

dont be in a hurry around those powerlines just to impress the boss. Those suckers dont play and not all"bosses" know what is safe. You gotta look out for yor ass first.......

new gear can be fun though cannt it:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Safety was an issue with my old skool lanyard. The guy that first taught me about climbing only used a single lanyard and would unhook when he got to a branch throw it over hook it back up and go on his way. Well I learned to do it like that and it became second nature to me. The Boss mans other climber yelled at me for doing that so I decided to make up this lanyard so he would stop yelling and that it was safer.

Those suckers dont play and not all"bosses" know what is safe. You gotta look out for yor ass first.......

That is so true. Learn how to recognize the different wires yourself, don't trust anyone who sends you into a tree IN CONTACT with primaries without being line clearance certified. No second chances... hunk of smoking carbon... closed casket funeral... no more trim!

Nice looking lanyard, I like those steel snaps, you can whip'em around a trunk no problem. I used to use a 2 in 1 without a pulley but I like single ended now.

Nice lanyard. For me, I like to use a smaller diameter cord for the adjuster. If the adjuster cord is smaller than the flip line it grabs better

sytherstrike- I think after a little tinkering, you'll find you like a much more slimmed down lanyard.

You're on the right track, though.

sytherstrike- I think after a little tinkering, you'll find you like a much more slimmed down lanyard.

You're on the right track, though.

I've been thinking myself its too long, I just think this would work better and be slightly lighter than carrying two lanyards. I just used the samson blue, because the boss man had some laying around I could have, I've thought about making it out of something else. He has some arbormaster, but I don't like that as much as the samson blue. The arbormaster feels stiffer and doesn't seem to like friction hitches as much as the blue. Right now he uses the arbormaster for all the climb lines, which is making me want to buy my own, maybe it would be better with a split tail which I for see at some time in my future. This week on monday I'm ordering a weaver cougar from wesspur to replace my 4 d saddle. I can't wait to get it.

sytherstrike, when I hear you mention the need for 2 lanyards, it makes me think of something...

Do you carry a climb line with you up there?

I always take a climb line with me, or at least try too. I think I just need some more new gadgets is all, and time to try them out and see what works well for me and what doesn't.

<font size=3 face="Comic Sans MS"> Anyone that climbs w/o a rope is a rookie, and you can take that To The Bank. </font>

I started off climbing with a rope but no lanyard. Had to unclip every time I wanted to change tie in points. I was so happy when another climber showed me how a lanyard works.

My gig was different then. Rigging spars in the bush. Go up do what ya gotta do and get back down. Sometimes I wore a camelbak if it was really hot out.

Apples and oranges, but I hear ya.

ALLWAYS have available a physical connection to the groundies.

The next level is to do as Beranek does, and have a pouch with a weight attached to a length of fishing line just in case he lost his rope connection to the ground.

Apples and oranges, but I hear ya.

ALLWAYS have available a physical connection to the groundies.

The next level is to do as Beranek does, and have a pouch with a weight attached to a length of fishing line just in case he lost his rope connection to the ground.

I have not heard that idea before but it is a good one...I have found my self being REAL careful up high before when working with my climbing line, realizing that if I dropped it I would have to spur down. Having the rig you described is a great idea...probably wouldn't need to be much of a pouch at all to hold 100 feet of monofilament and a weight...thanks.

(if anyone has a picture of the size and type pouch you use for this, please post)

Back