New Petzl Basic - first impressions

Jack

Treehouser
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DH9b5TNdzRI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dont think I would run 1/2 inch rope through it ... looks too tight. Nice comparison.. Like the two biner option.. Dunno if I like the thinner option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont think I would run 1/2 inch rope through it ... looks too tight. Nice comparison.. Like the two biner option.. Dunno if I like the thinner option.

I agree. Just wanted to try the 1/2 inch ... wasn't as bad as I had expected but I wouldn't recommend it, either. ;)

The new Petzl Basic ascender is smaller, lighter, thinner, 8-11mm.

This video is a subjective comparison of the 'new' vs. the 'old' Basic.

Upon further evaluation:

Climbed with it rigged as a knee ascender on 11mm Blaze ... worked fine, IMO.

The 1/2" (13mm) line did work BUT NOT RECOMMENDED.

Overall ... the new Basic seems a little 'light-duty' for tree work.

In light of the ZigZag failure ... and the recent New Croll failure (also made of thinner stock); Petzl needs to stop catering to the crazies who weigh their shoe strings ... SAD.

I wish I would have bought more of the old style.

I've read some indications that this might have been the result of destructive testing ... still unclear ... this photo was from a FB post ... lots of rumors floating about ...

943219_510500265663834_1354651091_n.jpg

caveat emptor

Another photo:

8664067260_5dc5c1a3e2.jpg

EDIT: Notice that the ropes appear undamaged yet the Crolls have clearly failed ... not a good sign!!! :\:

I actually like the thought of these units failing at the shell as opposed to destroying the rope. Just make it plain that they are not to be used as life-support, only non-critical rope capturing functions, like knee ascenders. Predictable load release at lower loadings could make them safe to use on double-braid ropes.

Good point, Dave. As mentioned in the vid, a knee ascender is my intended purpose for the Basic. However, there are some here that use the Basic as a hand ascender and tether to the saddle as though it's suitable for life support. That concept might deserve to be re-evaluated for the NEW Basic. It would be nice to find and read the full test report on the Basic. I think it was done in Italy ...

Back