New member with a request for the YouTube guys.

CoreyYLTG

Treehouser
Not long ago August Hunicke posted a video concerning putting ropes into a chipper. I played the video on my phone at a tailgate safety brief after a related near miss. It was great. It had an effect.

I am cursed with a low turn over. My newest guy has worked with me for about three years. When I say stuff I feel it falls on slightly deaf ears. "Oh look Corey is telling us how not to kill him again, yawn".

Will you famous guys make more safety videos? Maybe if you do workers comp will go down...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reg C., your very well respected and considered famous as well. Just saying.

I never knew we were Famous Guys! :beer:

I always thought I was just good looking! :)

I showed my wife, kid, dogs, cats, goats, and chickens the pictures next to your post. Nobody thinks that guy is good looking.

worker's comp is an industry in itself, they don't care about our safety, they care about money, if you can find a way to affect state politics, insurance and policy then you may be able to change things. they really don't care what some "famous" guys are doing on YouTube. while it's awesome when i guy with a big following like August or Reg addresses a safety issue in a vid getting some accredited learning material from NATS or Arbor Master or have them come to your company for a demo, or maybe even taking your crew to a demo they're already putting on may work the same way as taking defensive driving in the eyes of your insurance. wouldn't hurt to ask anyways...

worker's comp is an industry in itself, they don't care about our safety, they care about money, if you can find a way to affect state politics, insurance and policy then you may be able to change things. they really don't care what some "famous" guys are doing on YouTube. while it's awesome when i guy with a big following like August or Reg addresses a safety issue in a vid getting some accredited learning material from NATS or Arbor Master or have them come to your company for a demo, or maybe even taking your crew to a demo they're already putting on may work the same way as taking defensive driving in the eyes of your insurance. wouldn't hurt to ask anyways...

You might be missing my point a little here. Workers comp is in many ways a scam IMHO, however I have been told by them that the only way to reduce rates is a measurable decrease in accidents and fatalities in our industry over several years. That being said workers comp rates are not why I care about safety or why I made this request. I look at safety from the perspective of a guy who doesn't want a good friend he has worked with for years getting ripped in half or smashed flat doing what you know is a dangerous job.

I love that you and others make absolutely kick ass videos about doing rock star level tree work. It isn't uncommon for me and the guys to watch them on lunch breaks. All I ask is for understanding that a fresh voice from somebody well respected such as yourself is going to go a long way. For example, the Tree Climbers video August posted a bit back where you almost got smashed flat by bad rope work was pretty intense. You looking off camera and saying "That's how you friggin' kill people" goes a lot farther on screen in a safety meeting than me saying "Don't hurt me or yourself" everyday to a guy who has literally roped for me for the past 1,800 or so days and has never seen a tree work related injury.

I think you guys do a great thing, and you owe nothing to no one. I can't imagine that you guys make any money from youtube. But understand that you are in a position to save some 19 year old ground guy in Ohio that you have never met from life changing injury or death because you made a video and he took it to heart because he thinks your cooler than his boss.

Corey they have been starting to give more safety advice in their videos and explaining what and why they are doing things the way they do. It might be subtle but gets mentioned in a lot of videos

Welcome by the way. What does the last part of your screen name stand for? And where are you at in this great state? I'm close to Canton.

Corey your local tree guy. I'm down near Cincinnati. Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks. I'm terrible at guessing abbreviations. Can't say much about Cincinnati. I bought my f-550 from a landscraper down that way, that's about it.

pardon the rant Corey, i guess i miss understood. i got hung up on the thought that Insurances guys would even care that YouTubers were making safety vids :P

I know most of my vids have just be straight entertainment for entertainments sake (& to keep me from getting bored ;). i've tried to make a few informative vids here and there, as well as my SRT vid series but i guess for the most part i don't feel qualified to teach many aspects of safety, i feel like i do stuff that the safety police say nay about. i try to share lil tidbits here and there (especially if i've never heard it mentioned) on my Instagram but more regular thought out YouTube content is more time consuming to make, especially when busy busy. if ever you or anyone sees anything in a vid of mine and have questions just ask away in the comment section or hit me up on here :thumbup:

i'm working on a case study rigging series, i hope it'll be helpful for people, gonna take some time tho

pardon the rant Corey, i guess i miss understood. i got hung up on the thought that Insurances guys would even care that YouTubers were making safety vids :P

I know most of my vids have just be straight entertainment for entertainments sake (& to keep me from getting bored ;). i've tried to make a few informative vids here and there, as well as my SRT vid series but i guess for the most part i don't feel qualified to teach many aspects of safety, i feel like i do stuff that the safety police say nay about. i try to share lil tidbits here and there (especially if i've never heard it mentioned) on my Instagram but more regular thought out YouTube content is more time consuming to make, especially when busy busy. if ever you or anyone sees anything in a vid of mine and have questions just ask away in the comment section or hit me up on here :thumbup:

i'm working on a case study rigging series, i hope it'll be helpful for people, gonna take some time tho

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Believe it or not you are probably in a better position to preach safety than the "safety police". The "safety police" who go on and on about one handing a saw, double tie in 100% of the time, and so on probably cause more injuries than they prevent. I am guessing you are talking about the people who can't do your job but will come to your job site and tell you that their book says you're doing it wrong.

Back