New Lowering Device

You might be surprised. Looking for a light weight, less expensive alternative to the Gcrs and something better than a porti.
I would definitely buy another device. Probably not one for lifting, but I would love a better device than the port a wrap when it comes to lowering and pre-tensioning lines. But it has to be fast and easy to set up and use.

Reg, I think this is a genius idea. I really like the idea of having a winch worth less than $2600. Better yet being able to get it out of the way. Seems much more "fool proof" than the GRCS. Training new help on such an expensive and vulnerable piece of hardware is not ideal. Not to knock the GRCS, I know it works well for many people, but I haven't been able to justify it.

How secure is the winch in it's receiver when lifting the heaviest logs? Does it flex much?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would definitely buy another device. Probably not one for lifting, but I would love a better device than the port a wrap when it comes to lowering and pre-tensioning lines. But it has to be fast and easy to set up and use.

Not saying its better or worse than a portawrap, but our 2000 device is an alternative of sorts. 2000kg WLL. 3" barrel diameter.....and is designed to utilize two positioning slings. Bottom is the load bearing anchor, the top is to keep the device upright at all times, so not flopping about as was your earlier complaint with the portawrap. Just a thought.
download.jpg S&K 041 Done.jpg
Bigtwig, theres no flex in the reciever. There is a slight gap so the winch slips in and out easy....but its not going to bend under load. Thanks

Does the winch itself, or the frame/cradle it's built into have any movement under heavy load?

Does the winch itself, or the frame/cradle it's built into have any movement under heavy load?
No, at least none that I've picked up on. All credit to the engineers. I'm a crude fabricator....they take my work and make it better.

I think this is going to be a fantastic tool.
I also like the simplicity of the friction hitch. One could easily use a pruner or what ever to slide the friction hitch higher for a longer grab of rope. I would have much more faith in some one setting this up & using it the first time over some of the others while I was aloft.

Did I miss it? Whats the weight of the whole set up?

Not saying its better or worse than a portawrap, but our 2000 device is an alternative of sorts. 2000kg WLL. 3" barrel diameter.....and is designed to utilize two positioning slings. Bottom is the load bearing anchor, the top is to keep the device upright at all times, so not flopping about as was your earlier complaint with the portawrap. Just a thought.
View attachment 57996View attachment 57997
Bigtwig, theres no flex in the reciever. There is a slight gap so the winch slips in and out easy....but its not going to bend under load. Thanks

I tell you what's a bit weird about this picture, look at the base of the other tree.

hahahha...GREAT eye!!! amateurs!!

Though maybe it is real...maybe died due to root flair being covered?
That's a limb being lowered out of the big tree, not a separate tree. Not sure why the tree was dying Gary, it was a good few years ago.

Ahhhh I see it now, I thought it was like one of those photos of swimming pools where they shrink the people and photo shop them in smaller to make the pool look big. Makes sense now.

Interesting concept reg. good luck.

I wish they made a mini hobbs of sorts. Smaller drum, ratcheting, and lighter. It would work for most day to day tree ops. I havent strapped the grcs to a tree for lifting his whole year.

Interesting concept reg. good luck.

I wish they made a mini hobbs of sorts. Smaller drum, ratcheting, and lighter. It would work for most day to day tree ops. I havent strapped the grcs to a tree for lifting his whole year.
Isn't that the Karl Kuemerling (sp) ratcheting bollard?

Back