New Lowering Device

RegC

TreeHouser
Ive been away in the UK for a week just recently....actually demoing the product featured in the video at a forestry show. Before I went I bought a video camera with the intention of making the introductory video that Im posting here tonight. I decided earlier that I cant really afford to keep the camera, what with everything else Ive paid out just recently....and today was the last day of the 14 day return policy that the store offers on all of its goods. So I had to make the video in haste earlier today, and get it back to he store before it closed. As a result the video is not very refined. There is no rehearsed script, and I speak slowly so to give me time to think where each sentence is leading. Anyway, I got the camera back to the store in time and got my refund:thumbup:

Video is 15 mins. Thanks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mL4c2tV86yc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Outstanding! It looks like a great, more economical model than the GRCS. Will TreeStuff be able to offer it?

I miss my hair! :cry:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Treestuff have assumed a lot more influence than what people realize just recently....although its not really my place to go into details. To answer the question, yes I would think so.

The hair is good for blocking people out that I dont want to speak to....as well as the sun throughout the summer. Other than that its not actually a lot of use for anything.

Good stuff Reg.
That's not compatible with the RC3001 and RC3002 Dual is it? or is there something else in the pipeline?

Its not compatible Al, unfortunately. I did try to make it fit, but was too sloppy and not worth pursuing further. The 3002 will also feature the same winch fitting.

Damn it, so now i'm stuck with my RC3002 and can't have the upgrade! :lol:

That's marketing mastery right there! :(

Well, its not been cynically done Al. The 3001/2 models have been out probably 5 years or so now....but things have to move forward at some point. The Hobbs for example, has probably had several face lifts over the years....the GRCS and portawrap also. If at some time in the future you are looking for an improvement on what you have, at least with this option its not a huge cash investment....nor in the event of it getting whacked by a falling log, interchangeable parts etc.

How big is it compared to the GRCS? That's my only complaint about the grcs. It's ginormous and heavy.

Your device looks awesome!

love
nick

Well, its not been cynically done Al. The 3001/2 models have been out probably 5 years or so now....but things have to move forward at some point. The Hobbs for example, has probably had several face lifts over the years....the GRCS and portawrap also. If at some time in the future you are looking for an improvement on what you have, at least with this option its not a huge cash investment....nor in the event of it getting whacked by a falling log, interchangeable parts etc.

Oops, sorry Reg, it was meant as a joke but I see now that the humour can get lost in text.

Me and the groundies love the RC3002 but if you & Stein need a promotor of the RCW3001 in Britain, i'd be happy to oblige, of course! ;)

I'll definitely get to the APF next time. :)

How big is it compared to the GRCS? That's my only complaint about the grcs. It's ginormous and heavy.

Your device looks awesome!

love
nick

Thanks Nick. I dont have the exact dimensions. I used to have them in my head but not now. I think the Bollard is probably about 5 in diameter. It is all mild steel, so not exactly lightweight but still requires only one person to mount it....by first setting a short line and carabiner around the tree and hanging the device from the lifting eye, so you can then use both hands to set the strap and choker etc. It does have removable rubber (preservation) mountings in the back also. The 3002 Dual, the Al (oldmill) has is a big device, but the 3001 as seen in the video is just half that, so a lot slicker. DSC03931 - Copy.JPG DSC03945 - Copy.JPG DSC03948 - Copy.JPG

I think if you were lifting objects a long way up Nick, it probably would yes. Personally speaking Ive not really encountered many such situation. Generally the objective is to bring the limbs down after all. Pre-loading is mainly what we aim at for most winching application, whereby to initiate a limbs change of direction/favor, or perhaps to shorten the distance between the rigging point and tied-off limb to lessen the falling distance in anticipation of it being severed etc. Im not here to tell people how to rig trees, just that theres an option here that might suit certain peoples preferences and circumstances. Thanks again.

The Hobbs is not exactly efficient or user friendly either, in regards to winching....what with having to keep pulling that big bar on and off, and that being a 2 man operation. The GRCS, great tool, great guy who produces it. The Harken is geared for power though, not speed. In both cases the strengths of both these devices make up for any little subjective quirks that may exist. Ive used both, nothing bad to say about either.

The 3001W is just our take on it, all things considered and balanced up like practicality and cost.

Thanks again. I think that line was about 15-17 feet, with some room to spare on the reel. Not sure exactly what line we'll go with, probably a little thicker than the one in the video.

How do you think it compares to the 3002 Dual Reg?
I mean in terms of ease and efficiency of preloading to eliminate slack and preloading to steer limbs/branches as those are the two areas we use the arm.

Also, would I be right in thinking that the advantage that the 3001W will have over the 3002 is that it has more lifting power?

I had the opportunity to have a little hands on time with the device last weekend here in the UK with Reg ( & his flowing locks :lol) @ the Stein stand.
I was impressed with it on several counts;
Firstly it's simple mountable/demountable function. Damage is always an issue with such devices - especially with less experienced staff or heavy rigging - it gives the ability to pretension a rigging system & remove it before cutting - a definite bonus IMO.
Simplicity - if they can use a bollard then they can step up to this. I don't think it presents the same learning curve as other devices.
Finally - value for money- it gives lift to a rigging system @ a comparatively cheap price & offers rigging options usually offered by more expensive bits of kit.

It is nota GRCS or a Hobbs, but I was impressed by it, it is an honest little workhorse which I am sure will find it's niche in the tree workers arsenal

How do you think it compares to the 3002 Dual Reg?
I mean in terms of ease and efficiency of preloading to eliminate slack and preloading to steer limbs/branches as those are the two areas we use the arm.

Also, would I be right in thinking that the advantage that the 3001W will have over the 3002 is that it has more lifting power?

Al, I had 2 things in mind with the 3002. Simultaneous tip and butt tying for extra control of large limbs, and and extra element of safety and rope care when negative rigging i.e. using 2 lines to catch a chunk, or utilizing both bollards with a single line to avoid the line over heating. The lever was an after thought which lent its self well to the elongated shape of the device. The lever is quick and easy to use but obliviously doesn't generate the same M:A as a winch....and is not as easy to make (alignment) as it might appear, within budget. For that reason its being abolished and replaced by the winch on the new 3002 models.
BP2 004.jpg DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0062.JPG DSC_0099.JPG DSC03680.JPG DSC03694.JPG DSC03705.JPG

Roger THAT!! Some big A$$ wood...love that beech wood.

Maybe I missed it in the thread...what is the price of the new Stein?

Price not finalized, but i think that Reg mentioned around 1000-1100 dollars likely, for the entire system.

Good deal...hope it's in that ballpark...Reg did a great job of showing it off. Looks like it will be a winner.

Back