New federal DOT cell phone law, effective January 3rd.

To me, it shows a lack of class and etiquette in proper cellphone use.

If more people took my remedy... you'd see a change in etiquette. And a healthy boost in phone sales. :lol:

We already have it in California too. Butch I saw a sign in the McDonald's in my hometown the last time I was in there warning the employees that if they are caught on their cell phone they could pack their stuff up right then and there.

Most of my phone time on the road is business, I wouldn't get far pulling over everytime a call came in. If I have to write something I will pull over. Having a secretary has helped minimize my phone time but I have only recently made it to a point I could hire one

Actually the state DOT wants me to call myself and verify that I have worked for myself the last 3 years along with doing background checks on myself and some other non sense so I may have to call myself on the road between bids tomorow:dur:

Most of my phone time on the road is business, I wouldn't get far pulling over everytime a call came in.

Which is funny, really; only relatively recently have people been able to phone us no matter where we are. If they could leave a message 10 years ago and wait for your call back then, why can't they do it now?

I have a buddy who doesn't have a secretary, but the customer wouldn't ever know cuz he uses an answering service. They get all the details and then pass it along to him. They also weed out wrong/BS calls, too. He says THAT'S the best part of it.

From my bike I can see that people on the phone while driving, often have a kind of glazed look in their eyes. If a child ran out, an animal, whatever, that instant of quicker alertness could make a difference. I think as cyclists or other motorists, we have a right to expect full attention on the road. It takes precedent over the vast majority of other matters. Here cycling while on the phone is also illegal, as with riding while holding an umbrella with one hand.

Anyone operating a motor vehicle should have both hands on the wheel and the cellphone in the glovebox.

Anyone operating a motor vehicle should have both hands on the wheel and the cellphone in the glovebox.

no cell allowed here while in the car. Must be on a hands free bluetooth device, routine fines for $125 or so if the police catch you talking, texting or touching your phone while at the wheel.

Same here.
Texting will give you a tag on your license, as will reckless driving and speeding badly.
Three tags and you loose the license.

They stay on for 5 years, then they get erased.

I think I got one today, went through a hidden speedtrap and was blitzed. I think I was going fast enough to get tagged. About 173 of the pictures they take are too poor quality to identify the driver, so maybe I'll get lucky.

I leave my cell in the truck while I'm working. I won't allow my employee(s) (when I have any) to carry a cell while working. I sub for a guy sometimes who once had a groundie, who I kid you not, didn't seem to go more than five minutes between calls. I'd have to yell down at him to untie the limb i'd just lowered to him...over and over.:X

How the hell do you shift a manual transmission if you have both hands on the wheel all the time? Maybe you think manuals should be outlawed too?
To be honest, the people who scare the crap out of me are the old people driving with both hands glued to the wheel and staring intently straight ahead. Nothing can distract their full attention from the spot on the road 10' in front of their hood. These people are your ideal drivers?

grandpa-driving-car.jpg

Have to agree with that...some elderly pose a serious risk. People that have tipped back a few then get behind the wheel top the list of hazards from my perspective, along with speeders, which must be far more common these days, given the heavy drunk driving laws in place. Phone users coming around blind curves towards me can be a little unsettling. I felt compelled to follow someone to their driveway once, to get their interpretation of what I considered a serious wtf. Stinking of sake, he had none.

Anyone operating a motor vehicle should have the cellphone in the glovebox.

There ya go Brian - I fixed it for YOU.

Back