New federal DOT cell phone law, effective January 3rd.

On my bike I still see huge dump truck drivers texting while at the wheel. At a stop light, I want to pull them from the cab and beat the Sh@t out of them. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its never been the commercial drivers that worry me, but the soccer moms as they can't drive when they ARE paying attention. I imagine it wont be long before ALL cell use is banned nationwide while driving.

I must say I am guilty of taking calls while driving, and under this new law you can still do so, so long as both of your hands are available for driving. The other day i was driving and my phone rang, I took the call, and fumbled with the phone trying to get it to speakerphone mode. I found it to be far more distracting than simply pushing the answer button and putting it to my ear. Guess I'll be trying a bluetooth headset.

It is, but I wonder how many of commercial drivers are at fault for causing an accident as opposed to a average everyday driver.

On a per-mile basis? VERY few in comparison.

We already have this law in Massachusetts, so it doesn't change a thing for me.

Im pretty sure the texting ban is nationwide.... i could be mistaken.

Talking on the phone usually isn't that much of an issue. With an automatic transmission it is commonplace to drive with one hand 99% of the time anyway, and talking on the phone isn't any more distracting than talking with a passenger in the car. The phone thing started getting scary as smart phones started gaining popularity. The texting, tweeting, surfing the web and playing video games while driving is what scares the crap out of me. If the driver's eyes are staring down at his phone instead of looking out the windshield then I don't want to be in his path.

I usually answer and then tell them to wait until I pull over. Can't say as I have had an emergency call on it yet that couldn't wait a minute or two. I get 4 or 5 calls a week on the work cell if we are real busy at work. about one a week on my private cell phone. Don't have texting or anything else on it. just calling and leaving a voice mail.

Could this mean that I am an old fart???

I'm on the phone nearly half the time i'm driving. I think the law/ban is silly. If someone causes an accident they have already broken the law haven't they? If they had an accident because of the phone why is that different than if it was because they spilled their coffee? Just punish the ones that cause the accident rather than everyone. I have my flack jacket on now, go ahead and shoot me now

I have a cell phone but never use it for taking calls. Only to make them in case of an emergency. In the last two years I made one call to report a pole fire from a transformer going berserk.

Pay attention employers.......$11,000 max penalty to the employer.

We have a worker like you Willie. He is on the phone half the day rather than working. During one 2 month period he had 38 hours on the phone. The boss took it away and made him use his own. Hasn't slowed down a bit.

Last time I had a guy doing that, I sent his phone through the chipper.

Willie, your use of "accident" seems like something that is only written down on a piece of paper. Even with the laws, there will always be the people with such a philosophy, that the restrictions aren't needed for themselves. To the few that this way of thinking may be factual, Willie probably being one, I believe they should suffer for the good of the whole. The road with cars is far more dangerous than most people are wanting to conceptualize, especially during some hours, unless they have directly experienced the carnage that often takes place. As long as you see people walking across busy intersections while staring at their phones, you have to figure that there will be idiots in cars doing similar nonsensical practices. I like the folks too, that follow the rules and pull over immediately wherever they are, only to block traffic behind. I was on a freeway bus recently and some dufus did that on an offramp. The bus came very close to plowing into him.

Don't get me wrong... I love my cell phone.. but...

WTF is with these people who can't seem to SHUT THE FOCK UP? They insist on yakking on their damn cellphones constantly, no matter where they are. They take it in the crapper, in the store, in their car... all without missing a single word of a completely meaningless conversation. These are the ones you run into in the supermarket and have to say "EXCUSE ME!!!! You're in my WAY!!!!" very loudly, because they're busy gossiping to Marge about Helen's gallbladder surgery. These people make me want to rip the phone from their hands and smash it. Seriously.

You can't have a conversation with these people, because they'll stop paying attention to you every ten goddamn seconds to see who texted them and tap out a reply. F'in REALLY? You can't wait until we're done talking to answer the phone? Cut the shit.

I think it is a sign of the general spiritual deprivation in society, without being on the phone, talking or texting, one feels hopelessly lost.

I leave my cell in my truck when I go in a store.

Texting is an AMAZING problem at Mcdonalds. I never knew that - they didn't exist 20 years ago; that problem didn't exist.

Then you also see the people who are "bothered" having to take time out of their important cellphone conversation to place a damn order, too.

Back