New Chipper for TreeCareLA, too!

Surprisingly, you put two men on it (one with a saw and feeding the back hopper while the other feeds the knives) and the brush goes away surprisingly fast for it's size. The guy feeding the back drags and allocates the limbs for the man at the knives. I have had that thing in the tightest of spots with just the two of us rolling it in or on the dolly. One job we literally were pulling it about with the quad in between a stand of cedars too tight for a vehicle to get into. Raised about 100 cedars and chipped it right back under them. Never had to drag a lick of it. We would have had to yard all the slash up a hill through goofy access roads that maybe a jeep or bobcat could traverse and not get stuck for 100s of yards to chip it where a bigger rig would of had to park.
Would I endorse owning one to a full tree service... No.. But it sure has it's advantages in the right job environment. Could I use bigger.. Hell yeah :D Anything over 9" would be over kill IMO for my business, it's niche and my demographic.

Have you ever used a single wheel, larger chipper, Nick?

No I have not. Speaking from blissful ignorance here!

Here ya go Nick, this is the pile a friends Morbark 2400 left after about 3 hours of use. View attachment 45011

We must be talking about 2 totally different things. We run Bandit 1890's (they might be 1590's not sure now..) and they have 2 feed wheels but they dont leave a pile that big from a weeks worth of chipping.

Maybe I am commenting on something I know nothing about!

We dont do that, Bandit's web site says there is a door you can remove but I have never looked/tried to do that. The beauty of where I work, if the knives get dull, we send it out for new knives! Lose a hose, a nut, or a spring? Send it to Kent!

Any pile under my machine is easily thrown into the truck and raked away afterward. I haven't seen that much crap under my chipper ever.

Kent is our International HQ, I live about 40 or 50 miles north in Cleveland.

A couple of our buildings:

Davey_Tree_headquarters_1.jpg

34e800a0a5c3ee92cc8c42c4aae25798

id rather own a 12 inch chuck n duck to a 6 inch self feeder, .....im telling ya, the 6 inchers burn a lot of time, were talking 25 to 35 hp motors, they dont compare, and for the price of a used cnd
i loved my 12 inch bandit compared to my 12 inch morbark..

the difference was the bandit had the hyd raise and lower of the feed wheels, and the trap door on the bottom to allow small bits and foreign bodies to fall out, i usually put a tarp under it when i started and just lifted it into the truck when done
and easier to clear a jam

my cnd was faster than the bc 1000 i ran today

we have 3 bandits at work, 1890, 250xp, and 150xp. they all have doors under the bottom feed wheel. i only ever chip with the doors open if we are dragging brush through gravel or loading with the tractor. if stuff gets wrapped up in the wheels (oak, vines) you just reverse till it comes loose and feed it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just cut the check to pay for the chipper. Sortof gut wrenching to see a check that big...going out!

Chipper is getting painted the color of my pickup next week, then it ships and should be here at the beginning of February. Can't wait. Sick of paying and getting up early to rent.

Benefits:
1- No more rental fees
2- No more being limited by rental yard's work hours
3- No more trying to get by without it on smaller and medium jobs
4- No more regretting those times when I DIDN'T get but should've, or should've gotten it, but didn't.
5- Dump fees will go down, (they charge less for the same volume of chips vs branches, so the savings is many times more!)
6- Won't have to go to the dump as often. Right now the truck holds like 1 days worth of limbs. It will be maybe 4-5 days worth of chips!
7- No more stacking branches in the truck. Jobs will finish faster
8- No one will have to hop up in the back of the truck with a chainsaw to cut down the pile. We will be working safer
9- Occasionally we'll be able to give away or sell chips.

Cons:
1- Cant park truck on the street overnight anymore. I'm going to have to pay maybe $200/month to rent a big enough space
2- ummmm....I think that's it.

love
nick

It a morbark M8D, 8" disc chipper. At the suggestion of basically everyone here, I upgraded to a diesel engine, 44hp. Comes stock with like a 30hp gas engine.

Pintle hookup.

After I get it, it'll get sent to the painter to have the logos put on it.

I'm gonna have to put some flags on it of some sort. It's a pain backing up a chipper that is skinnier than my truck. I do pretty good now, but some flags would make things way easier. I'm things some flags on hinges of some sort. Folded in most of the time, then we pop them out when backing up.

Anyway- it'll be hear shortly!

love
nick

Thanks for the links, brendon. I have a feeling that is exactly what I will get. I have to find out what the height of the ring is on the chipper so I can see if I need to drop or raise the hook on the truck. Once we figure that out, I'm golden!

love
nick

Back