Need info on cement...

Those of you who live in states that allow a lien to be placed on a property for tree work are lucky indeed. I am a licensed tree contractor in Hawaii and Hawaii law does not allow me to place a lien for tree work. They don't consider that property improvement.

They probably saw some of your competition's work!

What's really bugging me about this is that in a few weeks, the tree would drop it's fruit all over the cement anyways.

I had a guy... a very expensive guy as a matter of fact, handling ground work for me and he didn't get the oil cap on his 460 tight... dumped the whole reservoir on the customer's curb and driveway. We cleaned it the best we could but there was a stain. I knocked $100 off the price and the customer was satisfied... still sucked though.

I don't see how a stain warrants replacing concrete, it's not damaged, only stained. Cosmetic damage is different than cracking or pitting it.

I would definitely document the whole deal, get a lien if possible and do your best to clean the stain without spending more than half the job price, document that too. Then, if he wants to go to court, go and show you've done due diligence.

If the judge sides with the customer anyway, use muriatic acid... on the customer's face.

how much do they owe? Does he rake up all of the apples any other time?

I gave a bid for a tree removal yesterday for a lady that has a legal document service. So now I have a hookup if I need to do a mechanic's lein.

This doesn't have a thing to do with tree work .

Some years back I hauled one of my D4 Cats hither and yon doing small jobs .One was stripping a half acre of top soil for a guy to sell .Well he was little slow at paying ,excuses ,excuses .

He would periodically meet me at a local watering hole and give me a hundred or so .On one meeting I told him "I always get my money " and left it at that .He paid me off the very next week ,about a thousand bucks or so and asked me exactly what I meant by my statement .

It seems the site where the top soil was at had a nice little half acre pond .I would have simpley with no additional charge have shoved the dirt in the hole and moved the dozer before anybody was the wiser .What the 'ell ,verbal agreement .;) You know that guy thought I was serious and me a Mr milktoast :evil:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No I did not get paid. It got really ugly, and we are at a standstill.
I told the customer that I would like to try to help, but only because I can see that having ultra-white sidewalks means so much to him and not because I felt he was being reasonable. It was important to establish that with him should he end up suing me.
His rebuttle was if I was any kind of an arborist that I would've known this would happen; that power washing would not help; that he had already spoken to his cement people and they need a minimum $2,000 to return (tells you what their experience with him was ?); that even then, the new concrete won't match.
I am not in a position to help him if he's determined to be difficult.
I really figure that I'll get a chagrined phone call from him next spring or whenever he finally realises how ign'ant it is to try to keep pristine sidewalks ? Or not.
The $320 is a moot issue, but I double-dog dare him to take me to court.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should tell him I'll pray for him... I know nothing burns me up more than hearing that. lol
I had a guy hand me payment (cash) on my LAST ever-growing brush pile (grrr!) along with what I thought was a tip because we both knew he got the deal of the century & he ripped me off. It was a bunch of religious pamphlets. I WENT OFF ON HIM !!! My friend was holding me back physically from that moron.

Well T ., my uncle who was a very successful busines man and now retired quite comfortabley once told me of those types .

He has deep religious convictions himself but warned about people who preached constainly and would rob a nun in a heartbeat figuratively speaking . He said Al ,keep one eye on them and a tight rein on your billfold .

That's a shame to hear, Theresa. I guess NOW as an arborist you know, eh? He'll get what's coming someday, the cot soccer!

i always try to flip the force to the other side. Maintain somehow, and commit/ putt him in charge of making sure no other staining or shading occurs to prove his position eternally. If however such conditions are just Natural risks of having cement in the big picture..

It's a karma thing T .You will get manifold more being cool .He on the other hand shall endure perhaps Montazumas revenge .Serves the caulk chucker right . People that screw people out of a hard earned wage deserve nothing less .

He might be the screwer now but before it's over most likely the screwee.Hope he has some KY .;)

Back