Need info on cement...

Do the detergent and scrub brush. If anything still shows give him my spiel. Don't do a bunch of work trying to get him to pay. Don't use anything that could actually damage the concrete. It really will fade away. You really do need to get paid. Crabapple stains on concrete are a normal part of life. Nonpayment for labor(that was not malpractice) is a crime.

the stains were originally pink, but turned navy blue after a few minutes ?

Sure, concrete's PH is off the chart. Just get some concrete cleaner and be done with it. No big deal.

Ya know T, you can always spray paint graffiti all over his new concrete in the middle of the night. :/:

When you come back the next day to clean the crab stain his tune might change.

Now offer to clean the sidewalk with the power washer but you want to be paid first for the trim before you start a new job!!!;)

Just a thought!

HC

Graffiti seems like the best way out so far. All the other ideas seem too chancy...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update : I will not be getting paid for this job, and customer is insisting on 6 new slabs of concrete (x $150 per). I told him if concrete was free I would not replace it. Looks like we'll be going to court.
Butch nailed it... chalk one up to experience.
Oh, and Wes nailed it, too. Fruit stains are permanent.

Just to get him thinking streight, slap a lean(sp) on his house before it goes to court. That may be enough to motivate him to pay up!

Take a few pictures of the stain NOW and a month from now. Just in case he attempts to doctor up the concrete for the judge.

Good luck T.

HC

Wadda caulksucker! Do like HB says, its important and may save you further grief.

F--ing caulksucker!

Not sure what to say here, but if you rent a big hot water high pressure washer it will do the job. These are dangerus high power mashines...

I got many houers of use on these...

With 45-50 degrees celcius water and a rotating nozzle it will do the job.
If you need it will remove the top surface too or make a hole in the concrete.

Make sure you document with film pictures.

And run to the court house on Monday and file a mechanic's/labor lien on his house.

TC, sorry to read of your troubles. Stump nailed it in his first post. Also, I agree with placing a lien. I mean, fruit over a sidewalk and the guy is worried about a stain? That would have happened eventually. Idiot.

That's infuriating, Teresa, what a jerk.

A guy with an attitude like that didn't want to pay you in the first place.

Me too. There are people out there like that. We had one recently, slapped a lien on him and he was pissed. He did pay though.

Not to steer away from TC's tale, but I had a guy hire me to remove some pines prior to a new house construction, not his place though. My fifteen year old son dropped by to see the job, and the guy told him that if he wanted to drag brush, he'd pay wages. To make a long story short, he ended up ripping the both of us off. Imagine that, an adult ripping off a fifteen year old kid after he busts ass for a day.

I payed my son out of my pocket, and I'm still looking for the guy. He has a way of making himself scarce for a long time.

I sympathize with you TC, based on experience.

Do the pix now or right after cleaning. Find best, cleanest angle and get background/undeniable identifier. Then putt off court as far as possible. If'n you do go to court; take more pix right b4. Ask if the stain spread or if it is just the cost of planting cement in that area. Of curse if some fell invisibly in the middle of the night here and there over time, it might even help, even if on fresher cement.

Pix now might even prove helpful in future conversation defending rep around someone. Assuming if at that time the stuff looked worse than now etc.

I heard that too, if you print a pic at the store, how can anyone tell if its a digi or not?

Those of you who live in states that allow a lien to be placed on a property for tree work are lucky indeed. I am a licensed tree contractor in Hawaii and Hawaii law does not allow me to place a lien for tree work. They don't consider that property improvement.

Back