Navarro Redwoods

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Last Sunday 9/14, Terri and I took another hike through the Navarro River Flats to photograph big stumps and fine second growth redwoods. We found a lot and a few residual old growth.

So far we've hiked through nearly 6 miles of flats and have about 4 more to go. Figure we will have it all covered by this time next year. We don't leave any tree or stump behind. Well, the small ones maybe.

Attachments

• clump 1.jpg
    clump 1.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 67
  • fine sec gro 1.jpg
    fine sec gro 1.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 66
  • look up.jpg
    look up.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 64
  • residual 1.jpg
    residual 1.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 64
  • residual 2.jpg
    residual 2.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 66
  • stump 1.jpg
    stump 1.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Stump 2.jpg
    Stump 2.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 61
  • Stump 3.jpg
    Stump 3.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Stump 4.jpg
    Stump 4.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 61
  • stump 5.jpg
    stump 5.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 61
  • terri and me.jpg
    terri and me.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 59
Wow, that's cool! You can see the springboard notches in those old stumps. I hope I can get out there to see those big trees someday. :cry:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There be bears in these woods. Pretty shy and nocturnal for the most part.

As long as I keep kicking I'll keep on hiking through the redwood flats of Navarro. The changes that happen there are incredible, and my archives of images will be a record for myself and others to use for future reference.

Most of the old stumps will be long gone and rotted away in another 100 years. Boy, especially if a fire burns through in the dry season. All the old remnants of the old forest will be history, and the second growth trees and few remaining residual old growth will be the only thing left of a once old growth forest.

Oh, yeah in another 100 years the second growth trees will be as big as the old trees that were cut down. Only difference will be the whole forest in the flats will be nearly all the same age. There abouts anyway.

I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to record the Navarro flats at this time. Heck, what else is there to do? Terri and I have some work to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Brian

Before the Montgomery Woods fire of this year I never realized my early photographs of the park would be as powerful as they are. The before and after photos of Montgomery woods are remarkable contrasts. Just like Navarro River flats. The changes that go on there are ever constant creation and destruction. It's wonderful to see.

nice.....i need to come back to Cali......NO, I NEED to go climb a redwood.:D

A hike through the redwoods is always enjoyable. Stepping into a redwood grove is like entering some great old cathedral, there is a stillness and calmness that is palpable.

So often, great things don't get missed until they're gone. Documenting and bringing forward to show the value of what we have now, awakens folks, and helps preserve. Hats off to Jerry and Terri.

A hike through the redwoods is always enjoyable. Stepping into a redwood grove is like entering some great old cathedral, there is a stillness and calmness that is palpable.

Did you stroke your beard as you thought that one up?

Hat's off Jerry and Terri, Great Pics! Regular set of Documentarians.

Back