Natural Crotch Top Rigging?

True, but I think you need a stub to keep the rope on the trunk, don't you? If you were blocking down sections of a telephone pole, could you still use the natural crotch method? I can't figure out how a round turn stays up there if there's nothing to hold it.

no stub needed.

Ive seen another company around here cut a small wedge on the backside of the tree and on the backside of where the marl or half hitch would be. They were blocking down large sections of a cottonwood and it seemed like they had no problems doing so. It also seems like it would put some extreme wear and tear on the rope.

Thats old skool for sure, cutting a false crotch..I have never done it myself...but seen some older guys do it...looks sketchy to me, but it works..I was also informed thaat it worked better with manilla rope and softer wood trees, due to the ability of a really hard wood to "cut the rope and the edge of the false crotch...
Bounce..I dont pay for my rigging lines..

MB- I think willie is asking how one would set up the rigging line to lower a piece down JUST using the rigging line and NOT leaving a stub for the line to rest on.

I have the same question. Short of carving in a fake false crotch, I can't see how it'd be done.

love
nick

Frans, are you saying it is possible to lower a section of trunk from a smooth spar that has no branches using only a rope? I can see if you cut a notch in the wood, which would essentially be like making a stub for the rope to hang on. But otherwise? It would seem that Nick, MB and myself all do not understand this.

trying to download some pics...........................answer is on its way.

I've carved notches on vertical trunks to allow pieces to run but I don't know anyway through just roping to keep it from sliding down the stem without a branch to stop it.

I cant get into my e mail to get the pics I just took with the camera phone so I will try to explain it.

On rough bark tree's you can get away with pulling the rope down tight and then wrapping it around the back of the wood (a high wrap as opposed to a low wrap @ ground)to create a loop/hole/noose to run it through.

For added safety you could cut a square notch into the back of the tree to set the rope in.

It works, it burns rope and its sketchy but I didn't start the thread.

Back