Nalini Nadkarni Fall

I can never understand the justification believers have to relate things to God?

Each to there own, but it is a bit weird, in my opinion eg. to thank God for the drugs that have been developed to help cure a child with cancer.

Surely if there was a God then the child wouldn't have developed cancer in the first place.

Why did it offend you Jed that she came across as an Athiest? Suppose it is no different from me thinking it strange to mention God.

My best falling story some might enjoy- I was about 7 and must have seen some footage of iron workers erecting skyscrapers. I got a rope and tied it to a pretty heavy piece of steel for a 7 year old. I went up a ladder to the second story of a barn and started hoisting the steel. I got tired and decided to back up instead of hand over handing the rope, forgetting there was some voids in the floor behind me. As I was falling I noticed the steel was going up because I was still holding on to the rope. I had enough sense to know the rope was not my friend anymore. Luckily I landed on a bent up old U shaped gutter that cushioned my landing. It smartened me up a little about danger and concentration.

Enough of the God stuff, that's for another thread.
Falling out of tree stories, I was climbing a Buckeye and was chatting away to the client you know the sort of thing "do you do rock climbing?" Me "no I only do this for money" blah blah...
So I was perhaps 12 or 15 ft up and leant back to throw a lanyard around the tree and because my rhythm was broken by the chat, I forgot that the branch I was leaning back onto was dead, I wasn't tied in because I was hardly in the tree really.
Crack goes the branch, down comes Humpty Dumpty, backwards onto a pile of rocks. Six broken ribs and ten days in hospital.
I remember every moment very clearly.

I don't think she had any spiritual awakenings either Ger. I'm really sorry to be the downer in a thread like this, but she struck me as a bit of an atheist wind-bag, "We're all a part of this 'universal process,'" or however she put it, "When a tree falls in the woods, another one takes it's place," "Forests and diseases recover from fires and insect blights, and so do we sometimes..." Blah, blah, blah. No gratitude to a higher-power who may not exist, allowed.

How much more edifying would it have been to have heard the stupidest southern redneck in the world just say, "I was a dummy and broke my butt, but thank God... looks like I get another chance. Guess someone up there must be looking out for me..."

Sorry.... just how I felt about it. :(

This is exactly the reason I tossed Jeff Jepson's climbing book in the trash after reading the intro.
He relates how he fell out of a Jack pine and God decided to save him.

That kind of deluded egocentric bull ( I'm so important that God keeps an eye on me constantly) does not instill confidence in me that whatever he teaches is to be trusted.

I'll stick to agnostic writers like Jerry.

Sorry.....just how I feel about it:(

I didn't write egotistic.
Egocentric......meaning that you suffer from the delusion that you are the center of everything.

Meaning that somehow you are soooo important that God keeps an eye on you and saves you when you screw up.

Unlike the rest of us mindless unimportant atheist ants.

We should probably take this to the proper thread for religious discussions like Mick said.

Sorry!

bruce-lee-apprv.gif

It's amazing how little you can fall yet really frig yourself up.

Right. I bet a six footer right onto your back could break a few ribs and give your a gnarly concussion. 20-30' depending on the surface could smash your arms/legs and put you out. 40-50' if you survive at all you are damn lucky.

I have fallen further than that (again distracted by talking to the client) got up, shook my self down and finished the tree.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm always dropping out of trees like a tranquilized bear.

from, say 30'? 50'?

Not busting your balls at all Mick, just curious. I was thinking about this the other day after I set my TIP and leaned back into the suspension. "I bet even this would knock the wind out of me", as I'm leaning back like 4 feet off the ground. . .

When I fell out of a Noble fir and busted my back, it was from maybe 12-15 feet.
Landed on a stump, that'll do you in.

no it was only 15 or so ft, I landed on my feet and sort of parachute rolled. (Not planned, I was lucky it was a flat lawn)

Strange story after the rib breaking fall...
I asked my wife if we could change which side of the bed we sleep on as I couldn't lay on my side and face outwards, which I prefer.
So after a couple of nights I hear the dog barking downstairs, which she never does. I hobbled carefully downstairs to find my wife, who I had thought was asleep next to me in the bed, scratching on the front door on all fours like a ghost.
She had got up to go to the toilet and half asleep and disorientated had found the low window (which used to be used as a hay loading hatch when the place was a barn) she thought it was the bedroom door and had exited it and fallen 10ft onto the flower bed below.
Turns out she'd cracked 3 vertebrae and needed an operation on her back.
Apart from that we had a good year!

This is exactly the reason I tossed Jeff Jepson's climbing book in the trash after reading the intro.
He relates how he fell out of a Jack pine and God decided to save him.

That kind of deluded egocentric bull ( I'm so important that God keeps an eye on me constantly) does not instill confidence in me that whatever he teaches is to be trusted.
(

hahaha....So, did you retrieve and look through the rest of the book Stig, or did he just blow it big time with egocentrism ? No shortage of them types in treework.

Fallings not a joke though. Ive had a few. Theres not much give in the landing.

Nope, I've never read it.
Simply gave up on the deluded fool and tossed it out.

I've only fallen once.
That did it for me.

You know the clients that'll tell you," Don't fall out of the tree, now"

I always tell them that I did that in 1983 and broke my back,which wasn't fun, so I have been careful not to do it again.
Usually that shuts them up!

I fell about 15'-20' out of a silver maple while free climbing. I landed on my feet then crumbled. The landing wasn't bad but I still have a decent scar on my forearm from the road rash I got while trying to grab the trunk on the way down, my arm swelled up like a football.

Nope, I've never read it.
Simply gave up on the deluded fool and tossed it out.

Yeah the stories misplaced, really. Whether or not believes God really did save him. If I was writing a book id make that part particularly morbid, as a deterrent 'if you fall, you'll probably die....dont count on God, or your groundie '.

I did my ankle ligaments when a top failed on me SRT'ing up an oak. Anchor gave way when I was about 12 foot up luckily.

Didn't do me any favours though. Bloody painful and would have probably been back to 100% quicker if I had broken it.

"Not to my death", is my usual answer for the annoying question from a client, "Have you ever fallen?" Then I point out that I need to focus my attention on my work to be safe - so I better get to it now!

That's the key right there....be pro-active in keeping the distractions minimized. Too often folks around me are asking questions or bantering while I am setting things up to do them in the right order and safely. They aren't about to make a climb up a rope/tree with sharp things and the possibility of getting hurt...so they just babble on and on.

I sometimes do that, too...tell the talkers I need to focus on what I am doing so that I get it right.

Sorry about the God stuff gents. I was primarilly responding to Roger who posted up the vid, which I found jejune and inane, but I see that the conversation has primarily turned to the act of falling which, I feel, the law of gravity has made rather predictable, and therefore, a bit nugatory. (All my big words are now expended.)

Rich: I would never dream of attributing climbing failures to the devil, or even positive physical recouperation stories to God, per se; but was only responding to Roger's idea that the vid expressed any metaphysical commentary at all worth listening to.

Mick: If we are to restrict our remarks to the act of falling, then I would just point out that ALL of us are going to fall. It's just a matter of time. If you never fall out of a tree in your career, then, "Ah! Well done you!" You still will fall six feet into the earth in good time... it's just a trifling matter of a few years. I thought (based on the comments of the man who bothered to post-up the videos) that the conversation was to extend beyond rope-length, gear-checks and stopper knots, but now, I fear not. (Crazy about your wife though!!)

Stig: I'd never dream of considering myself one iota more important in God's eyes than the most hardened atheist... but I see that I'm boring you all. Forgive me.

Back