Longest Fall or Swing

As a kid, I learned to hold onto branches with leaves, as the ones that didn't have leaves can leave a kid ragdolling down through the limbs, landing in the last crotch a few feet off the ground on my shoulder/ neck, then dropping onto my head. An hour of laying down, and I was back outside playing.

My longest swing back... Maybe ten feet. Levi was watching me walk back on a limb that was quite wobbly and said "You're gonna fall Dad". Sure 'nough.. Smacked the trunk pretty good and was a bit sore for a couple days. Kept on working that day and the next though. That was about the time I really started using redirects more. Few months later, Had one come out from under me and I had my redirect close above... Fell off the limb and just hung there, over a chain link fence the the little wire ends all facing up to me. The kind that looks like they just twisted the ends and left barbs. I was thankful I was secured like I was. Rapped out and finished the rest of the tree. from the other side of the fence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I jumped about 10 feet down a stick on my flipline and spurs to avoid this oak lead railroading past where my face was. The stinger crane was overloaded and overextended, over my shoulder. Tacoed my 020 bar too.
Ha. The Rookie Days.....

So the crane fell?!?!?!

No, the crane couldn't float the load away from me as I cut it. So he had to lower the piece fast. I slid/jumped down the tree/stick to get out of the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, the crane couldn't float the load away from me as I cut it. So he had to lower the piece fast. I slid/jumped down the tree/stick to get out of the way.

:O Must have looked like one of those pole climbing races when the guys are coming down. Scary stuff!

Came off the end of my Rope.Fell 36 Foot.Hit the Ground driving one of my Gaffs through my foot,then Cartwheeled further down the Hill.

Drove to the Hospital,then got strapped to a Spine Board.

When I was 7 or 8 I must have seen or read something about ironworkers. I tied a piece of steel on a rope and was pulling it up 20 feet to the loft of a barn. It got heavier as I was pulling it, so I decided to back up, instead of pulling. I forgot there was a square of floor missing behind me, about 3 foot square. I fell through the hole, still holding on the rope attached to the piece of steel. I decided the rope wasn't my friend and landed on a pile of debris that kinda cushioned my fall. Had a headache and probably mild concussion. I went and took a nap without mentioning the mishap to Mom or Dad. Good thing I let go of the rope.

Just gotten my new BF2 saddle in the mail and promptly headed up the closest tree, a magnolia in my front yard, with shorts and t shirt on for PPE. A limb walk in a magnolia is walking on egg shells compared to others, a lower long lead broke I when I was about 15 or so feet out on it. Swung and grazed a good bit of the lawn and had a nice headache and the neighbors had some really puzzled looks on their face!

Also had a nice swing back to main trunk in a broad live oak, decided to start pole sawing a limb above me when I got to the end of lower limb and didnt stop to lanyard in, arguing with groundie at the same time too. Just instinctively balled up and had all PPE on so all I got was a few bruises and raised heart rate for a bit.

I dont see how the really old school guys I have met used to climb without "chicken straps" as they call them - lanyards.

Lanyard has always been an integral part of the climbing system as far back in the business that I can remember. The 60's. Though I knew a few fellows that told me they started out climbing not using a lanyard, but they were when using them when they were telling me that. So I think it's just a learning phase a lot of the old guys went through and never really was a steady practice.

Took a potentially nasty swing this morning. Not that big, only 15-20 feet, but onto a barbed wire fence.

Would have been unpleasant had I been dragged along it on my back, fortunately I saw it coming and jumped before I was pushed, and landed on my feet.

I climbed over an open campfire once...it added a new dimension to landing zone and making sure the groundie was paying attention.

Attachments

• PICT0022 (2).jpg
    PICT0022 (2).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 3
  • PICT0026 (3).jpg
    PICT0026 (3).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT0024-2.jpg
    PICT0024-2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PICT0027-2.jpg
    PICT0027-2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2
Had just installed a redirect higher up when the branch that I was standing on let go. I didn't fall that far but had I not trusted my friction knot to do its job...I likely would have landed back first on a pointed metal fence below me...ouch!

Ever since the article about the guy who's kong ascenders failed and he fell straight down onto a piked fence, getting impaled on it, I've been very weary of fences. I believe he lived, but two or three spikes impaled in his lower back I believe.

That was a "Kong double rope" ascender. the climber thrust it up where the ropes spread at a tie in point. It pushed the cams open. Happened more than once with those ascenders. For the same reason you don't want to push a prusik up to the same area where the rope spreads. 5:1 they say?

That guy was "F'n" lucky!

An analogy to that is flipping your lanyard over the top of a pole. That happens too. You got to pay attention in this work, man!!

Back