My New 23GT and trailer

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 232
  • Views 22K
80' feet up tied into those skinny little things? :O Talk about pucker factor! :\:

Even if you got to climb them, you could get a ride most of the way up..

It can get a little dicey transferring from the bucket on those skinny bastards, specially when the trade winds will move them a few feet from side to side

I bet those skinny bastards sway around pretty good.

Awesome machine Wesley. Nice to see it in action.8)

IMO when you are tied in to the tree and its swaying its easier on your balance than when you are in the bucket and the tree is passing you left and right. It always makes me feel like I'm falling:\:

I get that feeling when I am up a pondo over 60 feet and the wind kicks up... Seems like every one of those suckas around you are moving different directions... Can about make a man sea sick :P
Same as you Butch... Focus on the tree in front of me and the task at hand.. No site seeing ;)
I could not even imagine how that would be in one of those palms:\:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am surprised how many 80 ft. coconut palms I am running across. I went to finish up one residential account and the 23GT was too short by 5 to 7 ft., even parked directly under the palm.:( I emailed Lenny Polonski and told him I need a 85 ft. lift. I did see a very interesting show while there. A couple was making nooky in the bushes and did not notice me until I was on my 3rd palm. they were well hidden as I did not see them until I was about 40 ft. up. There were a few families on the beach within 100 ft. of them and I don't think they even knew the couple was there. I have 1 picture of them below. The other pictures would be too graphic for a public family forum like this one. :lol:

I also worked on the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel this morning. Carl, that is the hotel you stayed at. The sand is real soft there but the 23GT went through it no problem. The pictures show how soft the sand is.

Also went to the Hilton to finish up the day and took some pictures of the beach scene.

And in case you didn't already know it, click on the picture to make it bigger.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 31
  • RHH 1.jpg
    RHH 1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 25
  • RHH 2.jpg
    RHH 2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 21
  • RHH 3.jpg
    RHH 3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
  • Please not in public.jpg
    Please not in public.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 54
Nice to see you working the heck outta that machine.

So when you are 7' too short, no luck using a power pruner or something like that?? How do you access the tree from your lift?

Two reasons why I cannot use a pole saw or power pruner when the lift is 2 to 7 ft. short. Much of the growth we cut out is between fronds that you are not going to remove and a lot of the "paper" or fiber needs to be cut off too. 2nd reason is, as MB mentioned, needing to cut and toss due to small drop zones.

I have some close up pictures of the coconut head and you can see the bullet shaped seed pods we cut off, along with the loose fiber. We also cut out the flowers, but none are shown in the picture below. I also have couple of pictures of the typical drop zone at the hotel and more eye candy today.

We park the truck on the beach and I could believe it when we got back that people would set up their mats right in front of the trailer and right along side my driver's door. I had the unpleasant task of asking them to move so we could get out.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Drop zone 1.jpg
    Drop zone 1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 20
too much eye candy, my crew wouldn't get a damn thing done on those beaches. :D They would be busy with the supersoaker and ice water nailing the girls that untie their tops... :shifty:

Nice one Koa, you're an inspiration mate...

How much do those fronds weigh on average?

How much do those fronds weigh on average?

There is a huge difference in weight depending upon the species of coconut palm. There are at least a dozen varieties. The kind I like has tiny fronds with a base only about 2 inches across, around 8 ft. long and weigh 2-3 lbs. At the other end of the spectrum, there are those with a frond base 12 inches across, 20-25 ft. long and weigh 20-25 lbs. The fronds shown in the drop zone picture at the base of the lift was about 9 inches across, 20 ft. long and probably weighed about 18 lbs. each. It sounds like a gunshot when the base hits the concrete flat on. You see people 30 ft. away jump from the sound of the impact.

Couple of pictures of me having to step of the bucket because 75 ft. is not enough. This one was at least 85 ft. of trunk, and it is one of, but not the tallest tree at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

A picture of the tracks in soft sand and more eye candy today.

Attachments

• Ready to step out of bucket.jpg
    Ready to step out of bucket.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 10 ft short.jpg
    10 ft short.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1503a.JPG
    IMG_1503a.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Eye Candy.jpg
    Eye Candy.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Soft sand no problem.jpg
    Soft sand no problem.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 8
Man, those are some TALL coconuts. Nice work Wesley. Hopefully the trades weren't blowing too hard.

Back