Mud Truck Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not to mention nothing messes up an expedition like laying your rig on your side.

Frans, they will be wider I'm almost certain, but that's not what I call a bad thing.

You're wanting a manual tranny eh?

Not to mention nothing messes up an expedition like laying your rig on your side.

Frans, they will be wider I'm almost certain, but that's not what I call a bad thing.

You're wanting a manual tranny eh?

In Moab, that can be a VERY BAD thing!!! Those trails are TIGHT and NARROW! With rocks on both sides.

A 14 bolt comes in 63"and 67" WMS. The IIA is every bit of 66" wide.

Best I can tell, Series WMS is about 54".

Not exactly as extreme as you make it sound. Plus I doubt he'll be doing hard core rock crawling in the vehicle he's riding home.

Jeep's weigh roughly the same as a Rover, maybe a little less. Why would you want to go through the hastle of replacing the axles with axles from a comparable weight (percieved strength) vehicle? Seems like alot of squeeze for the same juice you already have.

Manual transmission of course. Grew up working gears starting at 4, don't want to change now.

A lot of these rover types are diehard purists. I don't see the sense in hanging on to old technology for the sake of looks.

Lucas even says in one of their original wiring manuals 'driving after dark is not recommended' :)

Lucas, the prince of darkness. Headlight switches have three options: 1. off
2. flicker
3. on (sometimes)

If the truck is a bit wide, so be it. But tires sticking out further than half way out of the wheel well would look odd.

Part of the rover's ability to be a great off road vehicle, is it's narrowness, low center of weight, angle of departure, and low gearing

Back to my build, I might have found a 465/205 on the way to get the Rocks. He's been trying to sell them since 7/10 on Craig's list, maybe he'll come down on the price a touch :) It's going to be a 10 spline input on the 205, not ideal, but it should get the job did ;).

I forgot to ask if it was a fixed or slip rear yoke.

Back to my build, I might have found a 465/205 on the way to get the Rocks. He's been trying to sell them since 7/10 on Craig's list, maybe he'll come down on the price a touch :) It's going to be a 10 spline input on the 205, not ideal, but it should get the job did ;).

I forgot to ask if it was a fixed or slip rear yoke.

Big engine for a big guy :lol:

Uh, whats a 'fixed or slip rear yoke'? Does that mean limited slip diff.?

I don't know what the rover has stock. But I was first thinking of putting in a borg t-18 tranny

I forgot to ask the dude with a 465/205 setup if it was a slip yoke.

FWIW, (SM)465 is a transmission (4 speed in GM trucks from 68-91, 1/2-2.5T). Made by Muncie, fwiw.

Carl that 465 is a fantastic gear grinder. Only seen one that was not rebuildable & that was because some one kept running it with the bearings completely gone. They have a great granny gear.

Never cared much for the 205. But for a mud truck it's probably what I would want. Not to mention they are about as indestructible as you can get for the money!!

What's wrong with a 205? For crawling I'll either use a doubler (4:1 in low low) or another tranny (13:1 in low low)

my hopped up '80 Z-28 blitzed a borg warner tranny (blew the main drive gear twice in 6 months, mainly due to shitty clutch control by me). put in a Hurst and didnt have any further issue.

While it won't be as cheap, it's looking like the dual transfer cases is a better bet than dual transmissions. The dual t cases add about 6" over the standard T case whereas the dual transmissions add 16.5" (face of bell housing to rear of t case is 53") which really eats into the rear driveshaft, especially since I want them to be interchangable if possible.

Now I need a 32 spline 203, a 32 spline 205, a 465/203 adapater, and ORD's 32spline mainshaft for the 465.

Just got the prices on the conversion pieces.

To convert the SM465 to a 32spline short shaft (works with 203 adapter) is $250.

They have 203 adapters for $275

Doubler kit is $770.

The rear T case will run around $1300

Hopefully I can get a 203 with a 32 spline input, otherwise changing the input shaft will run $155.

Making for a total tranny to T case yokes of $2450ish.

That'll give me the 465's 4 speed, a 2 speed underdrive (1:1 and 2:1) and a LoMax 205 (1:1 or 3:1), short as possible, 32 spline (strongest) everywhere. Crawl ratio 300:1 in double low, or 148:1 with the t case in low.

Gotta save my pennies!

Guy just called me from Oregon. He has the truck I have been looking for with a small block swap already done. 10K total price.

Thats about 3-4 hours from me. Worth checking out.

Guy just called me from Oregon. He has the truck I have been looking for with a small block swap already done. 10K total price.

Thats about 3-4 hours from me. Worth checking out.

And you haven't left yet BECAUSE???????????????

Wow, sounds promising, Frans. Good luck with it. Bring your camera and take lots of pictures, that way you (and the rest of us) can study them closely after you get back to see if there's anything you might have missed.
8)

What's wrong with a 205? For crawling I'll either use a doubler (4:1 in low low) or another tranny (13:1 in low low)
Nothing wrong with it Carl. I just care for how heavy it is. The other issue being its low range. But you are dealling with that.

You're worried about a 135lb T case? A single tire weighs 3x that, the tranny weighs 40lbs more.

The LoMax is a new case and gears, even stronger than the stock 205's setup.

Nothing wrong with weight down low. Its top heavy weight that can get you messed up on the trail

Back