Mud Truck Thread!

Carl the fun your having now sometimes wont come as easy later in life.
Oh I still have fun. But when your younger its more care free I guess.

Cant explain it that well.
Guess what I am trying to say is ENJOY THIS DANG TRUCK STUFF TO IT'S FULLEST MAN!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just took the burb on it's maiden voyage, the engine makes exceptional power, but it is certainly water cooled :lol: Looked like a convoy of skeeter trucks coming from the tail pipe after I got on it the first time.

I'll pull the heads and see what's what, I may luck up and find it's only a gasket and the heads mating surface doesn't look like a wave spring. When my heads cracked on my 1 ton, the motor died and refused to fire over.

Fairly well done playing with the Burb, it'll get parted/scrapped out soon. After doing some high speed passes (45-50mph through the lake, jumping it out of and into said lake, as well as drifting through stumps and taking it through some mud bogs at rediculous speeds, I got scared of puncturing the fuel tank and letting that $165 run out.

Bought a bell housing and a SM465 today for $150. Haven't seen it yet but I figure Daniel will bring it by when he gets back to town.

Fairly well done playing with the Burb, it'll get parted/scrapped out soon. After doing some high speed passes (45-50mph through the lake, jumping it out of and into said lake, as well as drifting through stumps and taking it through some mud bogs at rediculous speeds, I got scared of puncturing the fuel tank and letting that $165 run out.

camera shy is it? wheres the 'hey y'all, watch this!!!!" video and accompanying pitchures?

Ha never thought about it until I made that post.

I did cut a tire though, maybe I can get $20 for the rims :)

y'ever seen this show LJ? :D

207d1152480561-favorite-comedian-sanford-son-photo-autographed-photo-.jpg

They're a pair a Rockwell 2.5T steering axles.

Think of them as roughly twice as strong as a Dana 60 1 ton front end (both stock) can be made 2-3x as stong as a heavily modified Dana 60, but with a mohawked center section it has as much ground clearance as a stock Dana 44/GM10Bolt (1/2ton stuff).

The downsides are (depends on what you need) is the top loader box sits about 9" above the axle and can get in the way of oil pans, radiators, ect. And lastly, those two axles weigh a combined 1700lbs in stock form. Removing the drum brakes takes off 320lbs, and you can add wheel or pinon mounted disc brakes.

The stock axle is a 16 spline 1.62" shaft with a monster of a U joint. Like a Dana 60/70/80, you can get aftermarket alloy shafts that increase the strength pretty dramatically. Unlike most other (common) axles, you can also get an aftermarket 2" 42 spline alloy shaft which is fairly astronomically strong, figure 3x stronger than a stock shaft, or nearly 6x stronger than a stock Dana 60.

Now I just gotta go get them :|:

Bootyfab alert!

Overviewdriversside.jpg

The blocks are gay as hell but you can get the idea of the clean clearnace these offer.
Frontofrearaxle.jpg

These aren't my axles, but they both are like this one, 52" tires. Mohawking the center section gains another 2" of clearnace making for the lowest bit being 22" above the ground:)
Frontaxleoverblocks.jpg

Axle shaft comparison.

Dana 44, Dana 60, Rock 2.5
Danna4460Rock25axleshafts.jpg

Danna4460Rock25.jpg

Quarter vs Stock Rock vs 2" OEM
Quarter2162.jpg

Nice how the 2" OEM stub is twisted...

I am thinking of using toyota axles maybe fitting in 30 spline rears. But have not worked it all out in my head yet.

Don't want to do rock crawling just yank stuff once in a while and not have to ever think about the axles and worry. Like in the middle of the MOAB far from home

No twist in the 2"er, the smaller, shorter bit is the 1.62" stock (broken) axle shaft.

Whatchoo building Snarf?

ETA: OEM stands for Ouverson Engineering Machine

Whatchoo building Snarf?
This. It is a 70s land rover series 11a 3 door.
Gonna re-do this with a ford 302, maybe a borg t-18 maybe save the rover transfer case.
I just don't know all the details yet, still working out what will work with what.

Toyota axles, or maybe Scout axles, just don't know. 30 spline front and rear, 30 rear 24 front. what what what just don't know, or really understand yet.
Jeez, it's all still on the drawing board, and all this is new to me.

302 efi, but set up with some kind of torque low end. Custom cross flow radiator. 4 electric fans if there is not enough room in the engine compartment

Also power steering conversion, and disk brake conversion all around.

When I right this down it makes me realize what a big project this is.

Still waiting for it to be shipped from Missouri

Attachments

• SIIA109ForSale20.JPG
    SIIA109ForSale20.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 16
Where in Missery is it? My axles are in Washburn.

Normally a higher spline count is a larger axle shaft diameter. The advantage to more splines for the same diameter is the minium diameter is increased because the depth of each spline is reduced, thus increasing the strength of the shaft.

What size tire do you want to end up with? I'm thinking 53"s for starts and maybe some larger rice and cane tires if "need-be":)

Frans... go with the toys, and look for Marlin Crawler.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm

They know the ins and out of Toys, especially axles and X-fer cases. Scouts are beefy, yes, but in trying to source aftermarker parts for them, is getting to be harder and harder. Besides, you're in Cali, Yotas are a dime a dozen. The bodies will rot before the drivetrain/powertrain is ready to die.

With Toyota axles, they are relatively easy to work on. Just like working on Ford 9's you work off of a 3rd member. To beef them up, I'd look for clearincing the pumpkin housing and building a bit stronger case for it, truss the tubes and weld them up, and if you are looking to go all out, 3 or 4 link it. If you are looking beyond even this... Diamond housing. Another popular choice is to find a wrecked FZJ80 or any Toy with an E-locker... otherwise you've got the choice between a LSD, Lincoln, ARB or Auburn Ected(aftermarket E-locker).

If you need any advice on a Rover as far as electrical goes, PM me. I can put you in contact with some folks that know the ins and outs in their sleep.

I was waiting to see what size tire he wanted before I recommended an axle.

A 302 can stomp the piss out of most Toys, and he mentioned wanting the ability to pull on slick rock (Moab, super traction), which is mighty hard on axles.

Sooo I'm holding judgment on axle selections.

I was waiting to see what size tire he wanted before I recommended an axle.

A 302 can stomp the piss out of most Toys, and he mentioned wanting the ability to pull on slick rock (Moab, super traction), which is mighty hard on axles.

Sooo I'm holding judgment on axle selections.

If he keeps it to 37 or below, he should be ok. I agree that Toys may be a little weak for what his plans are. I'd reccomend a D60 and a 14bolt(or D70), if he wants to truly "get it." If he has a light foot, he could do ok, but results aren't always guarunteed. F-toys by rules are required to use Toy axles, albeit they are using 22re and their varients for power.

Back