Mud Truck Thread!

Yes, that's called live rock and it IS pretty cool. The unfortunate thing is parasites can also be hitching a ride, which was what happened to me. Aiptasia did me in.

I had it for about five years, it was amazingly awesome, but I had to pay for it. Now I have one huge Oscar.

Now I got a empty tank! Been thinking about firing up some freshwater though for the kiddo. Much more simpler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
*Edited to remove some of the chafe*

I got to thinking today that a truggy would be better suited for what I want, and with a lot less effort I could also have my 1/2 ton back up and going.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/car/763713916.html

The engine may be rebuild-able, cracked head, water in the oil. According to him the head gasket blew, they let it cool, added water, and he drove it home the 3 miles back to the house. That's all I know about the internals of that engine. He said it happened all at once, which to me means the engine over heated, and cracked a head(s). Those more knowledgeable than I feel free to give me some input regarding the rebuild-ability.

The engine is TBI, which would be a nice addition to the brown truck, even better if I had a rebuilt 350 under it. The tranny should be able to work in my 1/2 ton without me having to buy much of anything. I'll have to swap tail housings and maybe output shafts, but otherwise it should bolt right up between my 305 and my 208, thus making the truck drivable in 2wd again :). Swap out the front axle to match the rear, and I'm back to having a 1/2 ton, 4wd truck :).

He offered $400 without us talking price. I told him I might could swing by Friday on the way to St Louis, but it would be a minimum of 2 Monday weeks before I could actually get it out of his yard.

Here's what I'm thinking.
1:The shell of the truck, minus the engine and the tranny would bring at least $300 from the local scrap yard.

2:If the engine's block is rebuildable (within reason, no tig'ing up huge cracks and hours of milling) that'd be great, as I've always had an inferiority complex over the 305 in my 1/2 ton. If the engine doesn't work, I could pull all the TBI stuff out, and shelve it for future use.

3: Assuming the tranny is like he says it is, I could replace it with my tranny, saving $800-1k rebuilding the tranny that's already in there and making my truck streetable again.

That puts me out $300 ($600 minus $300 from scrap) for a potential at $1600 worth of parts/scrap ($800 tranny, $300 Scrap, $200 short block, $200 TBI system, $100 rear axle).

Thoughts? Especially about the engine's rebuildability regarding the head gasket. It's about a 30 minute detour 1 way from the intended path to St Louis.

From my experience it's much more likely to be a cracked head than a head gasket. Assuming the block is good, two new/rebuilt heads. I believe about $250 each on the internet. I believe that these heads are inexpensive enough to make welding of them usually not cost effective. If the cylinders are worn then you of course are in for a couple of K but will have a new motor. Have you thought about a high performance motor? Also when my heads were rebuilt on my 1994 chevy 350 they put in stainless steel exhaust valve seats and I think there was some upgrade for the exhaust valves also because I would be towing my dump trailer.

My experience also says cracked head.

I figure with a quarter million miles on the engine, the cylinders will have the typical ridge and taper to go along with it, meaning the "best" thing to do would be a complete rebuild. I figure it'll be a 2 bolt, but a splayed 4 bolt main caps could be added for minimal expense.

Whatcha mean by "Have you thought about a high performance motor?" You mean buying one, or rebuilding that block into one? If you mean the rebuilding it, that's what I was figuring I'd do, probably a 383.

I figure the heads will be toast, just hope the block is rebuildable. In theory I believe I could reuse the heads/intake off the 305 that's already in my truck. Long skinny runners is what I'd need for torque, and I'm not sure the TBI would be upgradable to feed a 383.

My experience also says cracked head.

Whatcha mean by "Have you thought about a high performance motor?" You mean buying one, or rebuilding that block into one? If you mean the rebuilding it, that's what I was figuring I'd do, probably a 383.

I QUOTE]

I meant buying a complete one. I didn't know you had the skills to rebuild that engine into one.

Yeah, if you look higher up you can see where I was pricing crate motors. The second was the HT383 for $4100, the first was a vanilla 350.

Oh yeah, I gots the skillz.
:shoot:

As an update, the dude in Iowa fell through, never sent me his contact info then sent me an email on the 2nd asking where I was. In earlier emails he knew I would either be back home or headed to CT on the 2nd.

Anywho, I'm picking up an 88 Suburban this weekend. It's got the same tranny as my truck, although I'll have to swap output shafts. Also it has a 350TBI that should be rebuildable.

I should be able to come out even if not a couple hundred dollars ahead on the price of the Burb plus the fuel I'll burn going to get it by parting it out and scrapping the rest.

I've also got a lead on a Dana 60/14bolt axle set for a decent price that would should have my brown truck back to near streetable form.

I figure if I still want to, in the future I'll make a buggy instead of cutting up an otherwise fine truck to bits and replace nearly everything but the cab.

Back home with the Suburban. If I drained the fuel and hauled it to the scrape yard I'd be out about $60
from the purchase price and fuel to get it.

One thing that made some money was finding gas at $3.38 a gallon, I took a 5 gallon can with me (more like it was already on the truck) and the 'burb has a 45 gallon tank. I found it already had 15-16 gallons in the tank, so I topped it and the 5 gallon can off and hauled it back ($.28 cheaper per gallon than the cheapest here).

So you spent $120 buying 35 gallons of gas and saved almost $10? Awesome! :lol:

Before Carl is done with this project he will soon be sick of every penny he's spent on it. But I have an appreciation for his gung ho get er done attitude:)
This is one of those life's lessons unfolding before our very own eyes. That fathers have all ready learned & feel the need to tell their sons about.
While wise grandfathers sit in perfect silence with a smirk, watching it all unfold :)

Between the 2.5T of scrap, the 15 gallons of included gas, and the $15 I saved hauling the fuel back (which I'll have burned this week) the total is within $60 of what I have in the truck and the expense of getting it.

Jeff, I fail to see what the hell you're talking about, and my grandfather is dead, so that would explain his silence.

Its all in jest Carl. Sort of:lol:

My Grandpa didn't smirk. Not at the beginning anyways.
He encouraged & helped, while smiling. After I had rejected his explanation of why what I was doing might not be the best thing:D
Then after he had helped enough to get me set on my wrong-full way he would sit down...quietly... watching... & smirk.

I beg to differ Riverrat. I would be proud of my son if he were to take on a project like this, and I would help in whatever way I could. His Grandfather would too. I have a nephew in Florida that is building some kind of swamp buggy and my Dad thinks the experience my nephew is getting is priceless.

Nothing wrong with building/having toys. What the hell are we working for anyways? I love me a monster mud truck, hell it ain't cheap but what is nowadays?

I beg to differ Riverrat. I would be proud of my son if he were to take on a project like this, and I would help in whatever way I could. His Grandfather would too. I have a nephew in Florida that is building some kind of swamp buggy and my Dad thinks the experience my nephew is getting is priceless.
Its all how you go about it. I was just funnen a bit with Carl.
Doesnt matter how it comes out. I am sure Carl will learn a great deal out of this project.

Its all how you go about it. I was just funnen a bit with Carl.
Doesnt matter how it comes out. I am sure Carl will learn a great deal out of this project.

That's what my dad figures. Even if it fails he (my nephew) will learn from it.

I was wondering what was going on.

The current plan is to mildly build this truck, then build a buggy/truggy out of another, non complete truck.

I did find a pair of Duece and a halves that I might can pick up on the cheap, I've got to talk to the owner, but from what I understand one might be for sale for less than it would bring at the scrap yard.

Going to get the owners number in the morning, it's possible I buy one (or two) snag the axles, scrap the rest, sell the axles, and make a some moooney. We'll see.

Back