Mt St Helens Photo Trip

May 18th 1980......I remember it like it was yesterday. Amazing what mother nature can repair in such a short time.

There's some dust in your camera Roger. Beautiful picts. You gotta love Photoshop for getting rid of those annoying dust specks.

Very nice, I like the lenticular cloud... we don't get those on our puny little hills back east. But what I want to know is, where are the chick shots? ...and the red umbrella/dress thing (while cool), doesn't count.

There is a spec in a lot of those shots but it doesn't look like your typical dust on the sensor.

Nice pics, it made me sigh.

I stole one for a desktop background, except it's not full size unfortunately.

Your talented for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very nice, I like the lenticular cloud... we don't get those on our puny little hills back east. But what I want to know is, where are the chick shots? ...and the red umbrella/dress thing (while cool), doesn't count.

There is a spec in a lot of those shots but it doesn't look like your typical dust on the sensor.

I used my big blower brush to clean the sensor a bit, got thatone out, but there's more..perhaps some spray stained the sensor at the waterfall. didn't think i changed lenses when there was spray.

I have to purchase a sensor cleaning kit...there are a couple that supposedly work quite well...and under $75..

I can clean defects in ACDSee...but that takes time, which I haven't had...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

didn't ya see the elk shot? maybe one of them was a doe....

go back to the waterfall shots for your fix.....

Working in a studio I was constantly battling dust and I researched sensor cleaning quite a bit. Here's the deal...
Copperhill Images Cleaning Kit

Alternatively you can just buy the Pec-pads and Eclipse and make your own swipe but for $30 it's easier to just buy the kit. It will last you a few years at least. MAke sure you get the bigger swipe for your 1D, smaller for cropped sensor cameras... like stupid Nikons.

The ticket is to mount the body on a tripod, lock the shutter open (with a fresh battery), turn off the lights and use a headlamp while you clean. Once you do it the first time it's easy. The sensor IS delicate but it has an IR filter over it and as long as you use a fresh clean pad for each swipe, there's not real risk. What you don't want to do is drag a pad with dirt, oil or grit already on it over the sensor. Pads are cheap. :)

Back