MS660, sleeper, or dud?

They are all tuned down at the factory so the warranty has some teeth. And modding them isn't going to shorten their life, so long as you run them right. A few little tweeks can make such a world of difference in performance.

Modded saws rule. If you don't like the noise wear a set of plugs under your muffs. I'll never run stock saws ever again. Never, it's like wasting your life in the cut.

And you weren't lying. Anyone out there who's kidding themselves that there's not that much difference. Well you're wrong, it's night and day.

Why are you guys dropping the big bucks to get saws modded? My stable of stock saws run just fine!

I dropped a few bucks on an 036 piston and cylinder to stick on an 034 case, plus the time modding it. It is about the only saw that I have ever used that can scare me. It can kick back ferociously if you don't mind the tip.. I guess that is why I consider it such a successful job. :D

Al,

I still think that it's a big waste of money! Better that money spent on beer or cars.

I'd love to have one, even though I barely use the ones I already have. I outta send my 066 off... are older saws worth modding?

Sure, if the piston and cylinder are in good shape. Probably a new set of rings would be good too, depending on the mileage.

Stop wasting your money guys! Trust me, it's a giant waste. Use that money to get your teeth cleaned or a theraputic massage instead.

If you're doing treework properly you'll still have money left for beer, cars, and the other mamby pamby stuff that Craig mentioned. Also you'll have more time to partake in those kinds of things.

Oh hell beer isn't that much .

On that 66 ,yes it'll take a mod real well . It really doesn't take much .Drop the cylinder to raise the comp ,do some port work and stick it back together .A little Dremel work on the muffler and you're back in business .

Another option is a big bore kit which is a bolt on .Good old Fred from southern Ohio had one on either an 064 or 066 he had over at C4 Funs one day .It was impressive to say the least .Damned cheap too .

I think modded saws are a cool idea, but I feel it's more of a hobby/ interest kind of thing. I'm more interested in the other equipment, my saws are like a screw driver to me, just another tool if kept sharp work great. I have to say I've never ran a modded saw though, and I also like to do as little as cutting as I can. Make as little cuts to get it in the chipper, and cut the biggest log the mini and log loader can haul.

I've run Carl's 660 a few times, and I'm impressed. I have Huskys....365, 372, 281, 288. Yep, I used to like Huskys for big saws, but if/when I buy a new one, it'll be a Stihl most likely. I'm leaning toward a 460, as I don't need a big saw that often and my 281 and 288 should handle anything I'll run across.

Ive always kinda wanted to have a saw or two tweaked up but I havent been able to justify it. I saw a good saw, and know that on any given day, they can be crushed, stolen, dropped out of a tree, etc.... I have some saws that haven never been harmed over the years, and in other cases, Ive bought saws that have ruined before 10 tanks of gas went through them. Dont take me the wrong way, my saws get treated well. But, a rookie mistake on someone's end on one of my jobs can lead to a pile of junk instantly. I guess it would be worth it to mod up one or two of the saws that are strictly forbidden from the guys that work with me. I have 2 or 3 saws that are off limits to everyone. That way when i call for my scalpels while Im up in a tree, I know they are coming up razor sharp and ready to rock.

Back