MS260 port job

I tinkered around with the ports on the 361. Big difference in cutting performance.
I am tempted to tear it back down and leave off the base gasket to see what else I can get out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
finally replaced the o-ring on my compression tester. stock saw is 154 pounds, bombed saw is 170 psi

No need to be sorry dude, was just wondering. I just got my hands on a rough old 024 and am gonna do some surgery on it.
ive got 2 done squish, i dont wanna hear how busy you are plowing snow, get to work!

Lol, 2? I'm a slacker I suppose after a 12 to 20 hour shift it somehow doesn't seem appealing to go out and tinker with saws at -35.:D

You have to get like sotc, where you get into a deep mode of concentration, lose all thought of time and place...find yourself in another dimension, called the modifier's zone.

ha! use the force oh squishy one. i was complaining it wasnt cold enough, i love having snow, in fact me and trevin are heading up in the woods tomorow. depending on the snow conditions we might try to get back to check on my trail camera

If I spent much time in my shop right now I'd be in another time and place alright, frozen to death.:lol: I'd love to get started but right now my hands would stick to the cylinder.:O

if darin will send me his sacrifice ill get on it to:/:

I've got the bearings for the 394 on the way. Got some Dremel bits and burrs and will have at it soon. Can't wait to get this thing running again!:) Who's next?

New guy here, got to tell ya ,I've been pickin' the brains of Al S. on an 038 mag port job and have to say he's been a great help !! I'm waiting on the p & C for the mag., but in the mean time I've ported the exhaust,polished the intake,polished the squish band,and gutted the muffler of another 038S, that I "came by" recently(given to me due to seizures :cry: ) .I'm going to drop the cyl.to a squish of ~.022,I also have a piston on order for this saw (50mm.).So I'm not sure how I'm going to approach it (the squish adjustment).
I used the old scored piston to achieve the ex. port width (I went 60% bore width to stay within ~2.3mm of skirt sides).I hope the replacement is close to the old one.
I didn't raise or lower any port openings.I'm in the process of shining things up now.
Is there any point in tapering out the intake wider,when the boot is molded to a specific size and shape that can't be changed anyway?Should I widen the intake at the bore side? I only have room to move it in only one direction because it is already close enough to one side of the skirt?
When setting up the carb,I don't have a tach so what is the safest way to get started on a MILDLY MODDED saw like this ?
What does the term 4-STROKING mean and when do you set them up to this condition ?
GOOD THREAD,
Steve

New guy here, got to tell ya ,I've been pickin' the brains of Al S. on an 038 mag port job and have to say he's been a great help !! I'm waiting on the p & C for the mag., but in the mean time I've ported the exhaust,polished the intake,polished the squish band,and gutted the muffler of another 038S, that I "came by" recently(given to me due to seizures :cry: ) .I'm going to drop the cyl.to a squish of ~.022,I also have a piston on order for this saw (50mm.).So I'm not sure how I'm going to approach it (the squish adjustment).
I used the old scored piston to achieve the ex. port width (I went 60% bore width to stay within ~2.3mm of skirt sides).I hope the replacement is close to the old one.
I didn't raise or lower any port openings.I'm in the process of shining things up now.
Is there any point in tapering out the intake wider,when the boot is molded to a specific size and shape that can't be changed anyway?Should I widen the intake at the bore side? I only have room to move it in only one direction because it is already close enough to one side of the skirt?
When setting up the carb,I don't have a tach so what is the safest way to get started on a MILDLY MODDED saw like this ?
What does the term 4-STROKING mean and when do you set them up to this condition ?
GOOD THREAD,
Steve

I'd say yes on widening the intake to hope for some flow improvement, it can't hurt, even though the boot dimension is a given. Yes, widen on the bore side as well.

Adjust the low speed screw to slightly rich, then to the correct setting after warm up. Remember that the high speed setting will affect the low speed adjustment somewhat as well. You might want to go a quarter turn rich on the high speed adjustment, just take it easy when raising the rpms and don't gun the thing to oblivion. If you don't get a warbling sound, it isn't four stroking, so immediately richen it up more. From heavy rich setting, you can then adjust to lean until barely four stroking, that's where you want to be. That's safer than going from lean to rich. If you are concerned about it, run the saw at the richer setting for awhile before you dial it in, and get a better feeling for the sound coming at the higher revs. Sometimes it takes a bit before your ear adjusts to a particular saw.

A saw should always be four stroking at top end. If you are working in big wood, or especially milling, you might want a slightly richer setting. There an audio available on the web of adjusting a carb until it four strokes, maybe someone here has the link.

When dropping the jug, you might want to re-consider your approach at some point, and at least raise the exhaust back up to stock as per the new stroke timing.

Welcome to the Treehouse!

Any point in porting an 029?
I've got one I never use and it needs to be stripped anyway cuz I left gas in it for like... 2 years.

Hell yes!

Modded 029 against stock 372xp:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FuOf5O-tOH4&hl=ja&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FuOf5O-tOH4&hl=ja&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OK, that's it, I'm doing it.

I'll be back, got a cat in a tree in Clayton... the very friggin top of a half dead sweetgum. Sounds sporty, one climber has already back off of it.

Any point in porting an 029?
Sure ,you can pep them up a tad if you want to .The problem with a 29 or it's cousin the 039 is the fact they are a clam shell designed engine .As such there is no practical method of raising the compression ratio .

I've got an 039 in the shed I've been tinkering with ,just needs a clutch bearing to finish it up which I'll get the first of the week . Actually for a consumer type saw it cuts pretty good . I used various and asunder parts from an 029 to resurrect it .

My suggestion on that 029 is to widen the ex a tad ,polish it up and do something with that very restrictive muffler . Just that alone will give it a leg up .

Back