MS260 port job

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hmmmm, i tached the other one and it gets up to 15k also. only thing done to it is i opened the muffler up a bit.
al it pulled real well in a black oak log the other day.
im planning to do the side by side test tomorow.
.093 jay :dur:

I have my 260 and recently modded 361 set very rich. In fact I pulled the plug on the 361 yesterday and it was closer to black.

The 260 is about right. A mild fourstroke sound when running.

I still believe the 361 has more power running a tad rich. But I don't want to foul plugs constantly.

O sorry just the muffler, I removed the cage on the inside.

Don't know how well porting it would do I've heard different opinions.

No need to be sorry dude, was just wondering. I just got my hands on a rough old 024 and am gonna do some surgery on it.

O sorry just the muffler, I removed the cage on the inside.

Don't know how well porting it would do I've heard different opinions.

Didn't see the last part of your post the first time. I have two 361's one muffler modded and one done with a woods mod by Ed Heard and no offence to Gasoline71 Gary who muffler modded the one that's still stock but the EHP one is definetly faster. I don't time cuts but I've run them side by side in the woodpile.

Yup and my experience has been that it really transformed the saw. Almost as decent as a stock 46 imo.

No not exactly. I had a hard time communicating with Ed he was mostly unresponsive to my inquiries and I haven't pulled it apart at all. Mostly any contact we had revolved around when my saws were coming back.

I have learned more in this thread than I have ever known about modding saws. When my 361 and 660 got sent to Ed all I knew was I wanted more power for the same weight without sacrificing reliability and how much would it cost was mostly what I was interested in. He seems to have done a damn good job on my two saws.

I wish I had taken pictures of everything. I would get to working on it and when I was half done I would remember that I needed to take pictures.

Yeah when the jug bolts are all thats left to be done, kind of late.

I jumped in blind but with a pretty good understanding of what was going on.

I started with my oldest cheapest saw, figuring if I messed it up too bad that I was still coming out cheaper than sending it to a shop.

This is all I have been trying to say Squish!!! It isn't rocket science!!! The best port job I have done I was three or four sheets to the wind and having a good night!!
Have some fun with it, I know you might be out a cylinder, but on a saw you DO NOT have to have running, what's it matter?
A little this time, a little more the next, but you pay for an education, this is free!!

If you just stick to the basics,widening the ex port ,raising the comp etc ,you won't have any problems .

If you try and push the limits like shortening the blow down time you might have some problems .

Sounds good on having a go on the 024. Small bore cylinders are harder to work on if you want to modify the transfers. You'll need a dremel tool with a right angle head on it.

You guys who are starting to do mods should get a compression gauge, see what your saw is stock and what your gains are by lowering the jug. Some gauges can be misleading if you get the wrong kind, and some others read incorrectly, better to get a fairly good one imo.

I think it's not bad too run a bit rich for a few tanks of gas after modifying, especially if it's a new ring(s). Getting familiar with the different running saw for a spell before dialing it in, has some practcality, again imo.

Revs are great for smaller diameter cutting, but big wood is where torque pays off, combined with the rpms. Having a saw that doesn't drop in rpms when you're cutting is a fine thing. Listen to a modded saw in the cut, a good one may drop a bit as you start to bear down, but then it will pick itself up and gain rpms as you progress.. A saw that does that is what it's all about.

my comp gauge needs a new oring i beleive.
i decided not to mess with the transfers as i wanted to get the thing in wood. what tip are you using to cut the hard sleeve? a stone?

I got a compression tester and tach coming from Bailey's as I type.:) Along with a few other goodies.

just did a vid with a buddy in some small wood. ill do another in bigger wood later. end of the video you see my feet fly up in the air as i bust my tail:lol:

Not a chance Brian, I'm saving them for you. :P

Husky schmusky, after I tinker with the 024 I'm gonna build a husky destroying 046.8)

Even though I don't have the money, I'm real tempted to call Bailey's and order one as a Christmas present to myself. If I put it on the credit card then I won't have to pay for it for months! :lol:

Ya know ya better, before they're all gone. :lol: I mean I really think you need one of them in your line-up.:D

Actually old B needs to get a hold of a saw and port the damned thing .I have all the confidence in the world he could do it and with good results too .:)

Back