MS260 port job

I wouldn't mind it being a bit less because the saw gets very moderate use. But im afraid its still going to be in the ,02+...Couldn't find right paper, everything is about 0.02 :D

If its gonna be too much i'll keep an eye out for appropriate material, i can get the thing apart and back together in no time now. I just hope it works for now and i'll take it from there. Im fairly new to this stuff.

It doesn't have to be genuine gasket material .I've used magazine covers ,the packaging from beverage containers, brown paper bags .

For example the beverage carton paper is 19 thou,the cover of National Geographic around 5 thou .Printer paper can be from 2.5 to 4 thou depending .You just have to get creative .;)

Yeah, but like you said, the thicker packing paper is mostly in the 20thou range, and the thin stuff is in the sub 5 :D

I didn't take any more pictures because its a greasy job and taking my smartphone out seemed like a bad idea. I grinded on the intake and just removed a bit on the bottom of the side ports. Made 3 slices on the muffler and opened them. Tried it out today. The compression is higher by feel but i haven't measured squish yet. Retuned it andd it screams like a mad man, with the muff mod its almost as loud as my MMed 046. I need to take them both to the woods one day now and give them a proper work out.

This is what i've done for the muffler... I like the look of it, its goes well with the original holes :D
MM.jpg

Edit: checked squish and its right there at about 20 thou, depends on which side i measure 8)

lol

Like seen here on a port work by mastermind on arboristsite... the picture belongs to him:

026 portwork.jpg

If you have the width there, I might be inclined to open up the transfer all the way to the base. I know some do, and some don't.

Pros and cons on opening all the way down and it depends on how you look at things . In my opinion you're best off to run all the transfer though the windows in the piston rather than displacement through the crankcase .

My reasoning is the transfer though the windows would have a tendency to cool the piston better .In addition to that it's my feeling it mixes the incoming charge better .Of course like every thing opinions vary on that .

Personal preferences do seem pretty big in saw building, as you say, Al. How many actual studies within carefully controlled specifics have been done on modified saws? Perhaps one could find more things along those lines when looking at motorcycles, and still it might require a lot of digging.

That I can't answer ,have no idea .I know some like TW would drill holes in the pistons sometimes just for cooling flow but I can't say which make and model he did so on .

Then you get to dealing with different designs .Stihl uses one big enclosed transfer tunnel ,Husqvarna some models use two .Mac ten series used three semi closed with a windowed piston .The famous 200T Stihl uses two large open tunnels with a windowed piston .Who's right ???

Back