MS200T falls off the throne

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wrote a thread on Treebuzz about the companies being one and the same, and apparently this is news to the americans.
Well, now you know!

Say what, stig? I think everyone has known that for years...

bbb..but Roger, didn't you know that Americans are stupid? :? Next thing they'll be telling me that Chevrolet and GMC trucks are the same, with different badges. :O

OK, I ran another test...this time with a 14 inch well sharpened chain on the 200T....with the cutters about 40% gone...should be a fair bit faster than the new safety chain on the 2139, which may well not even be broken in yet.
And the 200T is still on its first sprocket I think, so is relatively low hours.

Results were very close, 6.65 for the 200t and 6.72 for the 2139...what amazed me was a time of 10.1 seconds for my stock 192T......and that was with that .043 bar and chain..Oregon's version. It cuts nice! but prolly isn't that good for bore cutting or back chaining....

Unfortunately, I failed to use the camera right, and didn't record the ported 192T's time...but it felt like about 7.5 seconds....and the new stock 335 Cali, which felt like 9 or so.....

something must be wrong with the muffler ported 335 cali, as it pulled a 12.3---

I've never much liked those cali's....

So, my conclusion, so far, is that the 2139 is nice...but perhaps notquite as fast as that old 335 that I got for $40, in a box in pieces....

Nest time, I'll have a better test, as we've split nearly all the wood at my house. And with the same chains.....and with the 2139 tuned to the right rpm, though it sounds just right as is....

Good one, skwerly one.....

what say, stiggy???

PICS Dude!:)

This is where Walker's put their port...they close up the stock port. I've added a same size port on the lower outside corner of the muffler--can't find my pics of that ....

Attachments

• PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 5
bbb..but Roger, didn't you know that Americans are stupid? :? Next thing they'll be telling me that Chevrolet and GMC trucks are the same, with different badges. :O

By no means was I trying to insult american intelligence, nothing would be further from my mind.
Really, some of my best friends are american.

Jokes aside, when I posted at treebuzz, my impression was that not many knew about the whole Elektrolux deal. I guess treehousers are simply better informed.

You're dang right we're better informed. Just ask Jasper:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYF2WR7DNuw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYF2WR7DNuw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jokes aside, when I posted at treebuzz, my impression was that not many knew about the whole Elektrolux deal. I guess treehousers are simply better informed.
It's a slightly different crowd here .;)--then again ,over the years often times one model of saw brand may in fact be of another manufacturers design and custom build for the prior to market .The examples are many .

By no means was I trying to insult american intelligence, nothing would be further from my mind.
Really, some of my best friends are american.

The Buzzers just aren't into saws as much as we are over here at the TreeHouse.

I don't know if the chainsaw section over there has much if any new posts or threads in last 6 months. When I do go over to the Buzz I hardly bother to scroll down that far. When I do it seems they still have the same threads that have been there for ever.

The TreeHouse crowd is much better informed and know their chainsaws. Many of the guys here are probaly better at working on saws than some of the tech's that do.

The TreeHouse crowd is much better informed and know their chainsaws. Many of the guys here are probaly better at working on saws than some of the tech's that do.
Shh,you'll get some "builders " up in arms .;)

Why don't you know you have to go for years years at a factory school just to change a spark plug and heaven forbid you have the audacity to ever soup one up . It's almost blasphemy to even suggest that in some circles .:lol:

Jesting of course but as a group ,we do allright .:thumbup:

Say what, stig? I think everyone has known that for years...

It is not that easy to understand for all.
You can't belive how many times I said this on the USA trip just a couple weeks ago.
McCulluch for one is many that think still is a USA product.

Investor/Elux has at the very least finger in evrything that is not German...

Models rotate parts within Elux. If you find it in one saw you will find it in another too. They still produce Mac's in Italy for Pro's, but I don't know if they are sold in US, I know they are not sold in northern Europe.

Husqvarna as it was is a memory, so is Jonsered.
They think quite diffrently now than before.

Another update.

As I've said, I've never liked the earlier 335 Cali that I have. but I had still bought another one several years ago. It probably isn't even broken in, dunno how many tanks through it, 5 or so?

Anyhow, I put the ported muffler on it, and compared it to the 2139. Time was about the same. Then I switched bar/chains. The 2139 now has a 16 inch bar with new Stihl pro chain, filed sharp. The 335 Cali has the 14 inch with filed Oregon safety chain..both with the depth gauges down a bit. The cali cut a 15.5, the 2139 a 17.0!!! Hurray, another 200T killer saw! I'll have to wait to test the 200T on the same wood, as it is on the truck which I rented to a fella who works for someone else, and me rarely.

(the 14 inch bar is only 1.5 inches shorter than the 16, fwiw.....tells ya that safety chain isn't all that slow!!

Speaking of 335 ,I have a wild idea to tweek one of them also just to see what I can come up with .That is after I redo a 200t which would be after I finish up on 2100 Husky .

Somewhere in the midst of all this I have to finish my log splitter and some how get old Tom the tree guys chip hauler out of my shop .This of course would lead to me finishing my bandsaw mill .It seems I have a few too many irons in the fire at one time .:lol:

I think he likes to get us Sthil guys up in arms.

I see where Jonsy is offering a 2135 model. Kind of like Sthils version of the 200's and the 192's (019). Hope I got that number right.

He does have my attention on this saw. I basically liked the 335 I had as a climbing saw. If it wasn't for the starting and running problems I would have liked it even better.

What've you got against 200Ts Roger?

Mainly just price. I like the shape of the 335/338/2139 a bit better---more reach, shaped better to slide through brush, better lanyard attachment, and a tad lighter. And it now has a side access chain tightener. Muffller gases directed at right hand is ridiculously stupid, but a non-issue, as a muffler mod takes care of that...and makes the saws run like they were built to.

It is a bit nose heavy compard to the nearly perfectly balanced 200T, which has more rpm, but less torque. But lower rpm, and better built bottom end means the Huskys can outlast the Stihls.

Seems the reliability issue is solved. Still have to choke the Huskys after a couple minutes of being off, which is a minor aggravation.especially compared to the way the first--and second-gen saws ran.
Stihl's complicated levers, switches are a pain to fix...carb harder to get at. Huky gas caps are bomb proof...hate the new fangled garbage caps.....which came about because Stihl caps were junk...

I think he likes to get us Sthil guys up in arms.

I see where Jonsy is offering a 2135 model. Kind of like Sthils version of the 200's and the 192's (019). Hope I got that number right.

He does have my attention on this saw. I basically liked the 335 I had as a climbing saw. If it wasn't for the starting and running problems I would have liked it even better.

not quite right....the 2135/334 is simply a smaller displacement 2139/338, and is the same size as the old 335 perhaps, but rated at 2 hp instead of the old 2.2---EPA garbage, prolly.....the 38 cc 338 is only rated 2.3.....

The 192T is not as solidly or professionally built, and won't provide the same long service life as the 200T. But I really love mine, one woods ported, one muffler modded.

Mainly just price.

I cannot comprehend the issue with price. The 200T is a tool that can generate hundreds of dollars per day of use with a lifetime expectancy of several years. One could easily earn $100,000 or more with one 200T. To complain that the price is $100 too high is insanity. If they sold for $2000 I would pay it in order to have the best tool available for my livelihood. Yeah, the new caps suck and the lanyard clip is a pita, but the saw runs great and has the best reliable power available in a top handle. I'll buy a Husky top handle when the Husky top handle is better than the 200T. $100 difference in price will NOT be a deciding factor.

Speaking of 335 ,I have a wild idea to tweek one of them also just to see what I can come up with .That is after I redo a 200t which would be after I finish up on 2100 Husky .

Somewhere in the midst of all this I have to finish my log splitter and some how get old Tom the tree guys chip hauler out of my shop .This of course would lead to me finishing my bandsaw mill .It seems I have a few too many irons in the fire at one time .:lol:

Go for it, Al... I'd love to see if you can squeeze any gains out of the saw. beyond muffler porting.....Consensus is, it isn't worth it..and may not be possible. Seems it might be, maybe with a bit of a timing change and larger carb jets? and porting and piston work. But for real world use, there's no reason to pay someone to do all that. The 200T's that Ed did for Craig Jabs, were reportedly wicked fast...but that's overkill in a climb saw...just like that that old 335 I had that was an anomoly...it was so fast it took some getting used to...had to really watch it or the cut would be done before it started...hah! As well, the modded 200T's were capable of ruinnign 16k or more, and run too hot---that would ffect longevity, prolly.

I cannot comprehend the issue with price. The 200T is a tool that can generate hundreds of dollars per day of use with a lifetime expectancy of several years. One could easily earn $100,000 or more with one 200T. To complain that the price is $100 too high is insanity. If they sold for $2000 I would pay it in order to have the best tool available for my livelihood. Yeah, the new caps suck and the lanyard clip is a pita, but the saw runs great and has the best reliable power available in a top handle. I'll buy a Husky top handle when the Husky top handle is better than the 200T. $100 difference in price will NOT be a deciding factor.

The difference is $200..if you can get a 200T for $550.....that's significant. And the saws are no longer dogs...but becoming proven performers.

Because of the oiling issues on the 335's plus the fact there is no dealer support locally ,you couldn't hardly give those things away in this area .

Of the trimmers I know that ran them,they liked them but with those issues would never own another .

I mean it's pretty sad when a dealer 40 miles away cannot fix an oiler and a back yard hack such as myself can .:what:

Soo ,all that said the 200T is still king of the climb saws in this area .

Back