MS200T falls off the throne

I thought you had one?:?

A lot of our work is "emergency" type cleanups to open the road. My guys would always reach for the 200t's cuz they are light and easy to use. I got the rear handles for them because they are safer for ground work, now I find myself using mine for everything I do, climb bucket, ground....

As for the price issue, over here they cost about the same.
Something I wonder about, have prices on imports such as saws gone up lately in the US on account of the really low exchange rate for US$??
I mean, the importers get less for their $ and that has to make each item cost more in the end, or is there so fierce market competition that the importers just suck up the loss in order to be competitive.
I parallelimport all my sawchain, lube, stumpgrinder teeth etc. from the US ( Bailey's) and because of the exchange rate I get it for less than ½ of what I'd have to pay here. Somehow I'd think it would work the opposite way for goods imported into the US.

You are exactly right Stig. Conversely it works to the advantage of any US companies which are exporting goods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After you have put some long hard tree hours on that saw let us know what you think about it. I for one would be interested to see if it holds up like a 200.

I watched the vid also it was almost a tie from what I could see. Sorry, RB just don't see what the big deal is.

8.15 seconds versus 6.4 is......20% faster.....that significant..if the test was more equal.

Put the same chain on each saw, same pro chain, no safety stuff, same bar...with the riders down a bit.....the 2139/338 will still be well in the lead...it has a lot more torque.... The 200 is in great shape...it's hours are relatively low...as a lot of my guys have their own 200T....and, until last summer, by far my favorite saw was my old 335.....reliable and fast as all get out. And it gave me three solid years of service..an was used when I got it. The saws are better built than the 200, some think....

This 2139/338 NE is a huge improvement over the early 338, which I never ran stock, but bought it from Dan Henry, power ported by him. Either he messed it up or the early ones were dogs. Even ported it was slower than a 200T.

I've been using the 200 rear handle model lately, I really like it! gives even more reach one-handed:O:/:

True dat!! I was at my chain saw guru Andy's today, getting some chain sharpened for crane day on the big (un) populars Monday. Got the 60 incher all prepped, after it wuz rocked by a groundie on last August's even larger poplars. And a 42"er is also ready to go. It'll be on a 2100, as backup to the 43" on the 3120. I think I can make the cuts just fine without having to mess with that 5 foot bar/chain..

Anyhow, I digress. Andy was going to work on someone's old Homey Super EZ Auto....which was the first saw I climbed with....10 pounds, rear handle, but a peppy little fella. I tried to hold it at arm's length...twarn't easy. After a brief spell of using the old 020's (before the Super, the saws had some issues) we switched to Echo 302's---rear handled, heavy and gutless relative to the Homey......reckon I'd really like an MS200.....!! Then the Poulan S25 was in vogue till the 200T hit the ground running.

Then the Poulan S25 was in vogue till the 200T hit the ground running.
Got two of those old classics myself,one since the mid 70's when I bought it new for 139 bucks .

I did some work on a buddies 020T a few years back and ran the two just for a test.They both weighed within ounces of each other and cut at exactly the same speed both running 14" bars . The 20 had a better balance ,the s25 oiled a lot better . I imagine though that either a 335 or a 200t would outcut both of them now days .

Throne or no throne, I like my 200T. No Jonsey dealers around here and the Husky shop always has at least a two week backlog. The Stihl shop fixes me up when I walk in the door or by the next morning at the latest.

I'm kinda torn between getting a 200 rear handle or a 260 Pro. I need a light saw for ground work and blocking stems... I hate climbing with a damn 440.

I almost got a 200 rear handle, but I dont likethe air filter. You have to have a socket with an extension to get it off. It looks like a PITA. The 192R has a diff filter that looks alot the 200T.

Swampy, I don't understand your comment. From the pictures it looks like the ms200 uses the exact same filter cover retaining knob as most other Stihls. They can be opened by hand, or you can use the scrench if your fingers are weak.

00000110507-StihlMS200chainsaw-large.jpeg

Skwerl I am talking about the air filter. On the 200R it is round and bolted to the top of the carb. If the cover is stuck I have my wife losen it for me.lol

Got two of those old classics myself,one since the mid 70's when I bought it new for 139 bucks .

I did some work on a buddies 020T a few years back and ran the two just for a test.They both weighed within ounces of each other and cut at exactly the same speed both running 14" bars . The 20 had a better balance ,the s25 oiled a lot better . I imagine though that either a 335 or a 200t would outcut both of them now days .

Hi Al, You meant 020 AV....

In its day, the S25 far outsold the 020S, I think. Prolly due to the price. And they were good saws. I didn't use them much. Used the Echo 302S and the 330....why, I think because I knew little about saws then, and never knew about the Poulans. And the old 020, pre the Super, had issues. Used them back in the mid to late '80's, after the Homey Super EZ.

I don't recall having 020 AV oiler issues.....power wise, though, most thought they were about the same as the 020T.....But, after spending over $500 for my last 020S, I waited for the Husky 335 to hit the market.....odd, as hyper as I can be, that I put up with all the early 335 problems.

They really are good saws these days...built beefier than the 200's...lower rpm might mean more longevity....

I'm kinda torn between getting a 200 rear handle or a 260 Pro. I need a light saw for ground work and blocking stems... I hate climbing with a damn 440.

Hey, Blink.....not saying you don't take care of your saws...but I try to, and rarely have major problems....

but I do own a whole slew of saws, so if one breaks, I always have a backup--or three.

You really oughta consider a 2139.....Spike60 from Arborist Site sells em cheap. But, if you don't mod that danged muffler, it will burn your hand...and have low power.

As well, the Husky 346NE or Dolmar 5100S both embarrass a 260

That Jonsey is nothing more than a red Husky.

Both junk.

Ill keep my real saw thanks.

Shows you know little about the current product....which can be understandable if you had bad experiences as did many with the early editions. Husky really shot themselves in the foot in bringing out that early shoddy product.

Even when they were unreliable, I got tons of service out of all mine. Besides running erratically, two of the early saws would out cut 200t's--or close..

Blink, go for the rear handle, I have two of them now and reccomend it for a climbing arborist and as a light ground saw. You won't regret it.

Swampy, Brian is right you don't need any tools other than your hands to take the top off and a screw driver to undo the clips on the side of the filter that is attached to the intake manifold. Very similar to an 025 only in a different position. Look closely at it and you will see what I am talking about. I almost made that same mistake:lol: but knew better as it just couldn't be that difficult to change one.

Those filters also break down futher once you get them off the saw.

Might mention this when climbing with the 200 R. You have to watch the air filter cover, branches and what not up in a tree can knock the cover loose. I put a litlle duct tape over the knob when I climb with mine.

What did they do to fix it .I had three of those little screamers sitting on the bench at one time recently .On one I replaced the pump shaft,which cleared up the problem .One I rebuilt the carb and the third one doesn't oil at all .Too bad because the little rascals do scoot although they do try to roast your hand .

I don't think the guy wants it back so I might soup this little rascal up too if I can get it to oil .;)

I don't know what's come over me lately .For some reason I just love to make little saws into screamers .:?

Al, there's nothing much that can be done to the innards of a 338 or 192T that makes any appreciable difference. can't deck the cyl. Porting doesn't work.

But was that 40% cut reduction time not amazing--just from switching mufflers?

Husky altered th oiler design years ago...problem solved. works as intended to. Call greg at Bailey's. Besides retrofitting the new oiler, you might need to do something else...as in assure that the oiler lines are not restricted in any way...I'm fuzzy on the details of the old problem.

Luckily Roger, its not to far for the POS 200 to fall. Damn overpriced, OLD design crap fro those moneygrubbing bastids at Stihl USA.

Luckily Roger, its not to far for the POS 200 to fall. Damn overpriced, OLD design crap fro those moneygrubbing bastids at Stihl USA.

Awwwight...sumbuddy agrees wid me.....and that fella has run a saw or thirty in his day.....

I'll stop short of calling it a POS though...my friend Andy says they've solved the carb issues with the latest renditions...

Andy sharpened my 60 inch chain....pretty sure I can easily make the cuts with shorter bars tomorrow.....( I left you a phone message wanting a .404 chain. He also sharpened that 42" loop you sold me and delivered at that other poplar job...the one with the occasional hard cutter....)

Gotta check the rings/piston on the 3120..comp is down to 140 or lower..maybe 120? noticable fall off in power. Dang.

Rog, I have a few 335's, being a big husky fan. Some were superb, some were junk.
is the muffler change an off the shelf item?

Al, there's nothing much that can be done to the innards of a 338 or 192T that makes any appreciable difference. can't deck the cyl. Porting doesn't work.
I can't argue aye or nay to that because I've never tried it yet .How-some-ever I have pepped out a few engines of the clam shell design by a little port work and slightly shifting the ignition timing . They didn't turn out to be barn burners but still pretty snappy little 3 cubers .

Even the Mini Mac I piped responded to some work with the Dremel and file .Enough so that I had to retune the pipe .

The biggest problem I see on the 335's is the fact the ex goes out the bottom and makes a hard turn towards the right . That expanding ex gas acts most likely as it would be hitting a brick wall with that design .

Walker's quit doing the li'l husky's cause they weren't seeing any gains, beyond muffler modding.....

I'm not a saw builder, so don't know exactly what they did, but for $120 or whatever they charged it wouldn't have been much. I do recall that it's possible they might have somehow changed the timing...something on the flywheel looked a bit funny....

And Dan might have messed up that 338, cause it was slowwww...for $200.

I am partial to the 2139. But who would have guessed??

Rog, I have a few 335's, being a big husky fan. Some were superb, some were junk.
is the muffler change an off the shelf item?

nope. I add a 1/2 inch tube facing down halfway. Weakens the plastic cover a bit, as you have to create a hole.

The new Dolmar top handle is supposed to run alright as well, but stupid switch placement kills that saw.

I think some small gains should be made with the 192 by widdening the ports. I don't know that raising or lowering will help much though. But I've never wanted to spend the two days to do it.
I know muffler modding them helps a bunch!
Never run the Husky TH's, just heard too many problems with the carbs. I guess a little work on the 338 Cali. saws and they will SCREAM, but it's a bear to find them now.

Sorry Rog,right now, I still have to go with the 200t, and I'm a tight ass!! I even just bought a new one a couple months ago to replace my carb issue ridden 192t.

I almost hate to say this to those of you who rave about Jonsered being better than Husqvarna or vice versa, but there is no difference.
Both companies where bought up by the Elektrolux company, along with Partner and Poulan.
If you visit the factory in Jönköping, Sweden, you'll see a long assembly line of engines that split up into one line being fitted as Jonsereds and the other as Huskies.
The intestines are the same in those saws, only the skin is different.
Since the merger they stopped competing against each other,and as a result the quality has gone way down, in my opinion.
I wrote a thread on Treebuzz about the companies being one and the same, and apparently this is news to the americans.
Well, now you know!

Back