Motorcycling.

That's some cool shit Paul man I'd love to have a local track. Closest club is a solid 5hrs one way. So no way for me to make it work. One other track slightly closer does a handful of trackdays a year for bikes but super expensive, start around $375/day plus taxes, plus plus plus. So easily turns very expensive. That coupled with living on the doorstep of one of the best motorcycling roads in BC (hwy6) the monashee/nakusp section, has made me into a bit of road warrior. For better or worse. Super cool vid, you did quite a number on that litre bike. A group so obviously you're killing it. Motorcycling is what I am mostly doing all the time, except for during the stupid ass winter. Fz1 for the highways, she's heavy but handles nice, espescially at speed, very stable bike. And I just sold my wr400 at the end of this season and bought a drz400 so I can still do some dirt riding but also some more adventure type riding. I also live right by our local off-road riding Mecca loaded with singletrack that I can actually link up and over the mountain to my work, not a bad commute.

Do you do any road or trail riding Paul or strictly track?

I’m too stupid to ride on the road. When I ride it’s red line, red line Brake. Red line brake....never got into dirt biking,road a friends CR500 one time and had a blast. Just felt lucky to go home ! I have so many friends who have had life altering injuries dirt biking.
I do have an E MTB and love that thing.
Yup track ain’t cheep, $350 a day or $600 for 2 but it’s a whole lot cheaper than loosing your license

You boyz and yer toyz...

Oh, wait...sorta forgot I have that stinkin' hot supercharged Jag in the shed, begging to be run :D.

I'm just as stupid bad...

One of my greatest joys is road riding. Having the acceleration to do whatever you want. I actually got the dual sport to help reduce my exposure to the nearly 150whp that the fz1 puts down with the standard mods. I'm geared down slightly too so top out at around 260kmph, the tradeoff being the pull to that speed being just pure adrenaline. Track is definitely the place for it but.............

Yes I am a squid! Lol. Don't hate, just send positive vibes.

I run a radar bluetoothed into my ears which helps a lot with keeping the license and keeping things in check. I literally have 150km stretch of high mountain desolate highway 20min from my doorstep. From 20km corners to 3-4km straights and everything in between. It is a well known sport riding road with tons of bikes on any given weekend. Of course it's not a track but I've never once seen enforcement out on it.

I have seen numerous accidents/carnage on it the last few years. Just this fall came upon a fellow who was just regaining consciousness in the middle of the road. First thing out of his mouth, 'did I crash?' Umm yes, first clue waking up lying in the middle of the road. Wasn't funny really but the fellow got off quite lucky, was on a cruiser bike(I didn't know him and hadn't been riding with him). If he'd been wearing a full face helmet he'd have been even luckier, broken nose and flapping cheek and road rashed face was about the worst of his injuries.

Someday I'll make it to some track days. I'm intrigued by your machine. I follow loosely road racing and listen to all kinds of podcasts that delve deep into all motorcycle subjects including racing, race bikes and so forth.

Is your son still doing it with you? That would be cool.

Reactions: DMc
It truly is. Even compared with some of the new full on crazy machines well.....it still compares. For my wants/needs my full fairing touring edition just works for me and I don't really know what I could replace it with that would tick all the same boxes.
IMG_2289.JPG

• Love
Reactions: DMc
I find it intriguing how perceptions work. I worked my way into very remedial mx, maybe small doubles and that was it before my knees said "hello, remember me?" and then got indoctrinated into forest trail riding which now feels comfortable. My friend who owned a motorcycle shop would periodically hound me to go on a track day or weekend on a sport bike, like a riding school deal as he figured I'd take to it like a fish to water. I felt I'd pancake into a barrier or road rash big time and never did it. So I'm opposite, comfortable with non-crazy mx and trail and spooked by cafe racing. That said, I duke it out with soccer mom's, cabs, pizza delivery and now the standard fare 200hp family cars on the road. I've had equal bone escapades on both road and non-road.

I test rode a friend's R1 back about 2000, 150 hp and you could dial the front end up in 1st at 90 to 100 kph with a twist. Very memorable, almost sparked the more is better gene but I thought better of it.

Unfortunately not. He decided 2 years ago that he hated me ! We were half way through a track weekend that I had invited his buddy who is an awesome motor cross rider to come to on my dime. I was hoping we could put together an endurance team till Woody decided he didn’t like the track.
Really sad day for me as I had really been looking forward to dicing with him

I had the bike out for the first time this year today.
Had to go get a pair of leather gloves for the apprentice and since it was sunny and 40 degrees Fahrenheit, I figured, why not.
Nothing like the first ride of the year. :)

You might awaken the beast. Snow and ice isn't out of the shadows till quite a bit later here. Teases you cause going there everything looks clear, roads into the forest look clear then you look in and the trail is full of chunks of ice. And frozen dirt with slime mud on top. Been a while. I should make an effort this year.

Went for a little putt this am with the fellas.

Amazing Hondas..
I haven't checked my oil in like a month... checked it this am and wasn't even on dipstick... so I gave her all I had 3/4 of a quart and didnt even check it as there was no more oil.

Anyway... we had a great ride. The oil level checked happy on the ride... Love the PCH Hwy 1.

Attachments

• 20210523_095256.jpg
    20210523_095256.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
We just cancelled our planned trip to the high mountain passes of Schweiz.
Corona messed it up.
We can get into Schweiz, but not Germany.

I came up with the idea of loading all 7 bikes on a trailer, then me and the other vaccinated guy could drive them down.
With our Corona passports we can get into germany.
Then the others could fly down.
No go, all plane tickets are sold.
There was 1 ticket open on the flight down and 4 on the return flight.

So we decided to postpone it to the last week of september and hope for a warm fall, so the passes won't be snowed in.

We had all been looking so much forward to this, but we can't keep holding a 10 day opening in our work scedules, on the very slim chance that Germany will open.
In september the vaccination programme will be so far ahead, that we'll all have Corona passports.

Back