Moles!

Hey Brian, how about we make some m-80's and bury them in your yard and wire them into on fuse so they go of simultaneously?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bill, see the video in post #16. :/:

I did find a couple videos confirming the mothball idea. It certainly can't hurt to make my yard as undesirable to moles as possible.

Shoot man. Cats are lowwwww maintenance and they're clean. Unless you're allergic I'd get a good mouser. Ime short haired cats with the kind of color pattern that makes them look sorta like a raccoon are your best bet for a sure fire top killer. My cat rips their heads off and leaves them by the door, not to sure what he does with the rest, occassionally he leaves an entire carcass.

Erik, maybe while you're down here you could engineer some sort of electric fence guillotine trap for me. Would love to be able to pull their fried carcasses out of the hole. :evil:

But Brian... explosives would be much more fun. :/:

Or thermal imaging and a .50 cal. ;)

If destroying my yard was the objective then I wouldn't have any problem accomplishing that goal. I could use a Ditch Witch, a backhoe or a skid steer loader and have the whole lot scraped clean in a day. But I live here and prefer not destroying my property. I kinda sorta want to kill the moles in order to protect my property and what's left of my landscaping.

I'm going to go buy as many mothballs as I can find, dig a narrow trench around my house foundation and lay down a barrier. I already tried using oil ($6 per gallon bar oil) as a perimeter barrier to no avail.

I usually recommend wearing old leather garden gloves when installing a trap, moles have a keen sense of smell and if they smell person stink on the trap, they wont get caught. We also have 'mole bombs' , they come in a pack of four and disperse sulphur dioxide gas into the tunnels. Their food source is grubs and insects, they wont eat carrion and they arent vegetarians. Castor beans have a reputation but they are also one o fhte most toxic plants in the world, as Al mentioned, its what they make Ricin gas from (Ricinus communis is the scientific name for them). If you cant kill them, contain them, 16 inches of galvanized sheet metal as a barrier from under the house to the rest of the yard would be a formidable blocker I would think.

Pocket gophers and moles are different critters...different tunnelling habits, food sources, biology in general. What works for contol of one doesn't neccessarily translate to the other. Plus the moles Brian is dealin with in FL are no doubt a diff species than those turning my yard and fields into what looks like war zones :(.

I had woodchucks last year ruining the yard at the cabin until I got rid of them.

But I don't think spraying a few clips of .45 out the crapper window at them would endear Brian to his neighbors.

I'll flatten them out here in the next couple weeks .I have a small Case asphalt roller I go over my yard with .That slows them down but the activity doesn't slow down until about mid June .This time of the year they are overly active .

Back