Moles!

When I used to live on my uncle's farm in north Florida,we had big ass rats that were always getting into feed barrels. a .22 took care of them.

Since I've lived here ('86), I've seen one mouse. I caught him with a glue trap. I've a bunch of garter snakes all the time: I think they keep the rodents in check.

That's great! I have plenty of those around too, but mice are a constant low-grade problem for getting into my sheds/workshop, and especially vehicles. The house is pretty mouse proofed, took extra care during construction and after to seal it as tight as possible.

I went to WalMart one night, bought a box of De-Con, a box of 12gauge shells and a box of fire starters. The clerk looked at me real funny and made some smart quip about it. I replied "I've got a mouse problem, it the De-con doesn't work I'm going to start shooting them, it that doesn't work, I'm just going to burn the place down!"
He checked me out rather quickly after that!

Hey hey hey ,Google : There is also the method of leaving a bottle sticking out of the hole, the wind blows across the top making a whistling noise which repels the mole due to the irritating sound.

Well now that rain brings up a subject .Evidently the damned things are smart enough to make tracks if they get flooded out .Fact I've seen where their tunnels were burrowed out after a rain storm .

When it gets extremely dry I don't see the tunnels in the lawn but do out in the woods where the soil is still moist .

Supposedly, field mice are tasty. I saw a documentary about that, once.

I remember my father telling me he used to catch field mice during the Depression years when he was a kid and his mother would make pies with them.

Found a receipe for it. Gerry might like to try it next time he's camping.:D

FIELD MICE PIE (OLD-TIME)

12 nice plump field mice, cooked & deboned
1 qt. mixed vegetables
1 med. onion
1 qt. potatoes, cubed
1 lg. pinch salt

Cook all ingredients together and place in a casserole lined with pie dough. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 375 degrees.

I remember my father telling me he used to catch field mice during the Depression years when he was a kid and his mother would make pies with them.

Found a receipe for it. Gerry might like to try it next time he's camping.:D

FIELD MICE PIE (OLD-TIME)

12 nice plump field mice, cooked & deboned
1 qt. mixed vegetables
1 med. onion
1 qt. potatoes, cubed
1 lg. pinch salt

Cook all ingredients together and place in a casserole lined with pie dough. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 375 degrees.

Yummy,are you gonna bring some to the next gtg?

Skwerl, we had a huge mole problem on our property here in Oregon. Basically, the NYC subway system of mole tunnels in the yard. I have tried most everything. Victor snap traps are the only thing I've found to work and they take constant diligence. Our cat gets the babies and brings them to us, which are too small for the traps, and I get the adults. I've never caught a baby and he has never caught an adult.

Making a "perimeter" of anything does not work. They simply run across the ground and burrow in wherever they want. I have seen them do this while up in a tree. Road flares don't work. They simply kick dirt into the tunnel to close it off when they sense the fumes coming. Throwing poison or oil at the ground just pollutes the food chain and doesn't work.

UC Cal Davis has some great info on dealing with moles. If you want, feel free to call me on the phone or PM me for more info on what I do here. I've caught over 60 moles in the last 6 years, and our cat, about the same. Once, I pulled up a trap that had caught a mole, reset it, went in the house for a drink of water, came back out and the trap had caught the mate.

Back