Moles!

:/:

You could charge to play.....

2765541278_a18fe5606a.jpg

I would vote for the propane, blow up the tunnels type thing. A few friends and some root beer. Would make for a great evening.

A friend who grows organic field crops killed over 80 gophers in a single morning. While tilling the fields he has several people following behind the disks clubbing the gophers that the disks didn't get. It's the killing fields for sure. A spring time event every year.

Once while digging a trench for an underground conduit in an oil storage tank farm we ran a chain trencher right through a nest of hybernating ground squirrels . There they lay snoring away on top of the ground as if nothing had happened . Evidently they must have awakened later and most likely were rather surprised and hid some place else .

Well these probabley will not work but as preposterious as they seem I'll post them anyway .

One is to intersect the mole tunnel with a buried coffee can full of water and cover it up with a piece of tin over the tunnel so the light doesn't get in .The idea being the mole is stupid enough to fire down his tunnel and fall in and drown .

Now this one is a dandy .You save human urine in a jug and put a little liquid soap in it .Let it ferment in the sun for a time then pour it down the mole tunnel .I imagine the smell would drive anything away including close neighbors .

Well so much for fermented Budweiser residue .

Now I had this cat ,old Freckles with three legs that was a mouser a moler and a snaker .Where I used to live had those giant moles that looked like a rodent version of the incredable hulk .Big giant front feet .

Good old Freckles dug them up dispatched them and neatly piled them up on the front porch steps along with various snakes who just happened to be unfortuate enough to be out when the old boy was on the prowl .He never ate the moles which evidently were not too tasty nor the snakes .The mice however he was quite fond of .The only evidence of same was an occasional tail hanging out of his mouth .Dandy cat .:)

Well on that subject there was a movie once about same based on fact .They were studying the habits of northern timber wolves and could not figure what kept them alive with not much game in the northern portions of the Yukon or Northwest Territiries .The mice,millions of them .Evidently the solitary documentarian tried them himself and said they weren't bad .Now weather or not he liberally applied Louisiana hot sauce to same was never discussed .

Evidently the solitary documentarian tried them himself and said they weren't bad

That was the show, Al. That goofy looking guy played the documentarian. He noticed a big wolf was subsisting on them so he gave it a shot and started roasting/munching them down.

The movie is Never Cry Wolf, original book by Farley Mowat. I own the DVD, I watched it as a kid and when I saw it on Ebay, I couldn't help myself. Bub and I watched it a couple times near Christmas, he doesnt get it yet but he likes the scenes where the wolves howl. :)
MV5BMTkxMTA5NjEyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU3NTYyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Camping out in the woods I think the mice see it as, "my ship has come in". I set no less that half a dozen traps under the sink, the sofa and the bed, and at least one sprang every night. That added up to a heck of a lot of mice carcasses over a season.

Butch, are you serious? Never had a mouse in your kitchen make a huge mess in the pantry closet? Never had a mouse get in a clothes drawer and make nests out of your favorite T shirt?

Never heard of hantavirus?

Back