Mini Skids

I don’t mind salesmen, they’ve a job to do, i have worked in car showrooms so I’ve been around them.
But if they’re telling you untruths (that the Giant is made in the states) and slagging off the competition, it’s a bad sign.

They often don't know, and just keep talking, and it's usually bullshit. I have no use for people like that, that lack the ability to do the work but think they can out talk your intelligence. If they simply just said here's this, any questions, that would be fine. But it sounds like the dude didn't know shit and didn't know when to stfu.

I finally got the correct bucket for my loader today and still waiting on my BMG style grapple. The loader is bigger than I expected and the trailer isn't as big as I thought so it's a tight squeeze. My biggest concern is how to carry all three attachments and still be able to use the trailer. Obviously I hang the two extra attachments, but figuring out the how and where is the trick. I finally figured it out today and if I could draw I'd share. But suffice it to say I have it in my head and my welder will do a fantastic job as always.

I will hang the bucket across the front of the bed and I will hang the BMG on a rack on the side, sort of like the weedeater racks on lawn trailers. I will be able to drop the root rake and hook up the bucket from in the trailer, and I will be able to hook up the BMG from behind the trailer. Neither will be laying in the bed and there will be plenty of room for the loader.

Once I get the BMG I will get everything up to my welder and measure everything out so he can build the racks. Pictures to come! In the meantime, anybody else have any pics of how they transport multiple attachments with their minis?

Last edited:
You can hold your bucket in the root grapnel leaving the grapnel on the unit.
I could, but it doesn't fit very well and I don't plan on using the bucket very often, maybe 5% of my work. I prefer not having to deal with it every time I want to load or unload the machine just to set it aside. I would end up grabbing it 20 times for every time I actually need it. I prefer having a place to put it away where it is ready when I do need it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I rarely need more than the BMG and scoops. Some times the auger and forks for planting trees.

I rarely need more than the BMG and scoops. Some times the auger and forks for planting trees.
Those scoops look fairly heavy (at over $1000 there must be a few hundred lbs of steel). Do you have any method of storing them or do you just throw them in the trailer using the grapple?

I face my bucket toward the rear, and back the operator platform into it.

If i need to load the trailer, i lift it over the side.

I need to figure out a similar set up for my root-rake grapple. Maybe on the tongue, over the battery box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those scoops look fairly heavy (at over $1000 there must be a few hundred lbs of steel). Do you have any method of storing them or do you just throw them in the trailer using the grapple?
The scoops weigh about 50 lbs each. I think they are over priced but worth having. They get used on every job and ride attached to the grapple.
Have you priced steel lately? I just picked up a 4x8' sheet of 1/8" diamond plate with one shear cut for $434 and change. Same sheet five years ago was $120.
If you don't buy them build them they are a very useful tool. Stump grindings, raking piles, snow if you get any in Florida lol, stick piles. I brush cut an area of four foot tall grass for a custy and used the scoops for clean up, didn't even touch a rake and done.

The scoops weigh about 50 lbs each. I think they are over priced but worth having. They get used on every job and ride attached to the grapple.
Have you priced steel lately? I just picked up a 4x8' sheet of 1/8" diamond plate with one shear cut for $434 and change. Same sheet five years ago was $120.
If you don't buy them build them they are a very useful tool. Stump grindings, raking piles, snow if you get any in Florida lol, stick piles. I brush cut an area of four foot tall grass for a custy and used the scoops for clean up, didn't even touch a rake and done.
I second the value of the grapples as per Rajan's description. Heck, I've made major leaf piles disappear with them as well. Well worth the price, especially considering steel pricing continually rising. Hell, I just went to price a low-riding trailer for my mini-skid that I talked to my dealer about last year. What was $5400 then now starts at $8600, and even if I pay in full for it, the price may still change as I wait for it to be built. He's had one customer with a trailer to be built that has had the price increase by $1400 in 4 months while waiting to be built. He says it's not the only case, and other trailer dealers locally are reporting the same.

No, but extended cabs are hard to find. I bought it used 2.5 years ago. Just turned 70K miles.

Dang! I thought it was brand new.

I call them truck wanna-be's. Trucks with short beds and trucks that don't get used as trucks. Impostors, pretenders, deceivers, impersonators...don't get me started.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

My last truck was a crew cab Ram 2500 4WD with full size bed. Great truck but hard to park. This time I got the crew cab with short bed. Easier to park but I do miss having the 8 foot bed. Now that the kids are grown and moved out, the next one will be a regular cab with a long bed.

Riding loose? Took boxes? Organizer? I like everything to have a place so I built dividers to keep stuff where it goes. Don’t have a pic of the one for my F250. It’s a sheet of treated 1/2” plywood cut to fit the bed with a cutout for the goose. This is my Ram before I got the second tool box. Those wooden boxes house the Wraptor and bollard, both of which are now in a second toolbox that runs down that side. I’ve also changed this organizer for one without that little section in front of the goose box. The Boxer has to back all the way to the front box so I had to do away with that.

8AD63D9E-0AE6-4CEC-B002-234355C0B820.jpeg

Looks good, now all you need is a large dog on the bed, so your tools will stay yours.
That is my method, anyway.

I think I'd want a cover over the saws. Both to make it less obvious/more of a PITA to grab, and to keep sun off. Sun's tough on the plastic.

Back