Mini Skids

I have an Avant 420 with the Branch Manager Grapple. I bought it new 5 years ago and it's a game changer. No issues, totally reliable, and it lifts 1,000 pounds. Still looks and runs like new.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time to spark up this thread again. I'm in the market for a mini, I rented one for a big job recently and realized that I simply MUST have one on hand at all times. I used the new kubota scl 1000 and the dingo tx1000, both with a "skidder grapple" that I was not familiar with (Ryan's I think, or something like that). The grapple had a power rotator, with an extra switch magnet attached to the machine to switch between clamp and rotate operations.
So, I'm looking for a machine, I like the lifting capacity of that size machine (1k lb rated operating capacity, ~2.8k tipping) but i would appreciate input about the specifics from the folks with day to day experience with a mini.
Also, they seem to be super hard to find right now, kubota dealer is about 3 months out, and they're about 35k. But they have adjustable auxiliary hydraulic flow, aux controls on the loader joystick, wide tracks WITH a 36" width etc, and my nearest kubota dealer is within 20 min, so I'm leaning that way but I want to see all my options before pulling that trigger. Used Mt 85s seem to listing pretty close to 30k. Any dealers around with new or used machines available? I'm about an hour NW of Philadelphia, and willing to drive pretty far for the right machine.
And then, after the machine is figured out, which grapple do you guys recommend? Which features should I look for? I haven't used one with lockable pivots, how does that work?
As far as machine recommendations, I'm transporting it in a 12' 5 ton dump trailer, or possibly making a set of ramps to put it in my old f450 chip truck (which has a lift gate, so with a little tilt it should load pretty easily)
Thank you in advance for suggestions /recommendations
Well I'm still rocking the s800tx with BMG and it's attachments. BEST money I have ever spent no doubt in my mind. 15-1600 hours. Most all service issues are undercarriage bearings but I have never babied them, hard living stumps curbs driveway edges rocks bigger sticks. Full bore and damn the torpedoes.

I have an Avant 420 with the Branch Manager Grapple. I bought it new 5 years ago and it's a game changer. No issues, totally reliable, and it lifts 1,000 pounds. Still looks and runs like new.

How is the cab for getting in /out repeatedly. My 3 concerns for Articulated loader vs mini skid are overall footprint for jobsite maneuvering and trailer space, stability on slopes (easier to jump off a mini skid), and hassle of getting on /off frequently. Ease of on /off really struck me when I had the mini skid vs my compact tractor

100% agree, Mick. But your last picture would be reason for a severe ass chewing on my jobsite. Of all the places you could leave a saw on a jobsite, in the middle of the loader path is definitely not one of them.

Looks like I have to check out the AL option as well, lucky for me the kubota dealer also sells Avant. Has anyone used the new bobcat AL?

Around me, the choices for mini-skid were Bobcat and Toro. I went with the Dingo TX-1000 narrow track, specifically cause it could get through 36" gates (only 33" wide), and it's 1000 lb operating capacity (which I've easily exceeded multiple times; make sure you get the counter balance weights or fat brush monkeys to compensate). I added the standard BMG 1001 knockaround grapple, and it easily loads over the sides of my 14' dump trailer (which it also rides in). Pic below is shortly after I picked it up in the trailer w/the pallet forks and the Toro stump grinder attachment.

IMG_20200613_133558431_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
We did an ash like that the other day. Not because of access though. Just distance.
Used the mini to load a loader bucket. He had way better gearing to move large volumes out 600 feet into a field. His bucket held more, but not a clamshell. Mini only moves at 3mph max forward. More like 2. Case bucket held more than a couple grapple loads too. Thats why small articulated loaders excell in material handling if you have a long drag or haul. Much faster.

How is the tractive effort of those two brands? The Gehl is awesome 99% of the time, but struggles with grade. If it's steeper than 25°, it really has a hard time.

Never had an issue, it has low and high speed, in low speed I cannot say I’ve ever felt it lacks power to the wheels, in high it doesn’t like slopes, but high speed is really used to cross flat spaces empty handed if you know what I mean, but I’ve nothing to compare them to.

Does the Gehl have two speeds?

I've been searching locally for used machines in my area. There is absolutely NOTHING available for sale. Even nationwide searches bring back only a couple overpriced options. :(

Back