Mini mounted firewood splitters

I do not have one but The Atom Splitter works well if you have an auger drive. I Atom split the logs then switch to the BMG pick up the pieces and saw them into firewood.

I've never seen one for a mini before. I don't think they can quite handle the weight or have enough hydraulic flow to run one. I could be wrong.

Ya really make a mess of the area working around positioning then just perfect. Spend 500 more for. Tow behind. Or 1000 and get a super splitter.

I ran one off my Thomas. It was stupid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some lady near me has big, upto 5', doug-fir logs. I wonder what the capacity on the Atom Splitter is like. I suppose you could cut to length, or double-length of firewood and split most things.

I have a h/v 22ton Huskee splitter. It went through 40" fir rounds, but frequently blew out the sides, rather than cracking across the round, until I could get enough wood into it. 2"+ bark made for problems with a 6" splitter wedge. In the future, I'll cut off a piece of bark before loading onto the splitter. The atom splitter wouldn't be affected by bark. Seems like about $1500-2000 for a wedge splitter, and about $2500 for the Atom splitter and auger. Auger can be used for fence posts (when will I do that often) and starting planting holes (don't plant many trees, but look to do more.

Brendon, what about working on plywood or a mat. As I mentioned above, this is for when I can't move the rounds effectively.

I am pretty sure they will split with the A.S. if you cut them into rounds first. With the A.S. auger combo you can make split rail fence and install them. Before I bought my auger drive I called every contractor buddy I know letting them know what I was buying.

Ya id go atom splitter. Can split anything. Compact. More useful. I just broke down a bunch of 30" plus 6-10' long hardwood last week. I stacked it and left long for reserve firewood if this winter totally sucks.

ahhh...the ability to dry firewood before its cut to length.

An interesting concept. Some homeowners want to split their own wood. Maybe some would rather pull a saw trigger on a pile of rails, instead of splitting green rounds.

How does this work out for you guys for leave wood onsite jobs? I don't want to bring more wood home, really. I'm hoping to get a dump trailer in the future to facilitate moving wood off of jobs directly to buyers. Now I have my Southco chip body, and 2 single axle flatbed trailers, and my friend with the kboom dumpbed.

boxer has 3000 psi, 14.5 gpm. What kind of auger does anyone recommend? Brendon, Rajan, what kind do you have? Where did you get it? Hex outlet or round outlet?

Bought a "Stickler" log screw a few years ago from an old guy for $100. Would like to mount it on an auger drive for my SK650 (13.5 gpm @ 3000PSI
I'm thinking that acquiring the auger mount for it is gonna be spendy. Low speed high torque hydraulic motor?

Mines from Dave. Low speed hog torque. I think my bro paid under 2k. He bought it as he thought he was gong to rent my old machine for his fence company. Used it once

I got mine from my Vermeer dealer as part of a package deal pallet forks, 12" bit, 36"bit, 2' extension, and the auger drive for I wanna say $4500. The drive is a McMillian low speed high torque 2 9/16" round drive.
With the atom splitter you can break down and chip the entire job if you wanted, or split the big wood down to a size that a mini can handle and not have to cut it into rounds .

Mines from Dave. Low speed hog torque. I think my bro paid under 2k. He bought it as he thought he was gong to rent my old machine for his fence company. Used it once

I have the same one. I've split a tonne of wood with it though. Slow but works.

I think the atom splitter would be fine. When I checked the original post the inverted log splitter came up they are just so long and heavy that I wouldn't think a mini skid could handle them. Now I need to look up more info on the atom splitter. I got access to an auger, just need the log screw

I am pretty sure the minis we are talking about would have no trouble at all handling a splitter attachment. My whole tow behind V/H splitter weighs 650lbs and my mini has a tipping capacity of 2500lbs so weight is not an issue just maneuverability.

treehousefurumt;682831]I am pretty sure they will split with the A.S. if you cut them into rounds first. With the A.S. auger combo you can make split rail fence and install them. Before I bought my auger drive I called every contractor buddy I know letting them know what I was buying it.[/QUOTE]

oh, cool didn't think about fence idea(custom fences):thumbup:

The S185 tips at 3900lbs according to published specs.... I would have guessed 3700 based on the model number.

Talking with my welder, he and I looked at surpluscenter.com at hydraulic motors. Add a mini mounting plate, a mounting plate for the motor welded to the Mini mounting plate, shaft, hoses, and atom splitter, I could come in under $1200-1400 out the door. Even $1500 would be $1000 less than through the manufacturer.

I'm thinking that a person could lift the mini mounting plate with motor, and the cone/ shaft seperately, and put them in and out of a truck/ trailer. The wedge splitter attachment, no way.

As I think about it, I wonder if I/ he could modify my h/v splitter onto a mini-mount and the appropriate cylinder shielding and hoses. Use the controls and hydraulics on the mini, still. Be able to put it back on the H/V log splitter. Something to think about.

I haven't come across anything that stopped that splitter yet. Biggest were the recent 40" diameter rounds x 21" lengths. A higher tonnage would maybe be faster.

There is a manufactured mini-mount splitter with quick-connect hoses and a swivel base mechanism that allow upside down splitting by the machine, and a typical horizontal right side up configuration for a person standing and operating, probably for smaller rounds.

I can load the auger drive by myself but it's heavy somewhere around 150lbs, and you will want a one or two foot extension maybe even a three footer if you are drilling thru large logs. Another thing I would suggest is using a bolt instead of the snap ring and pin. I welded the pin on the A.S. but just tacked it so taking it apart with a cutoff disc is a quick minute.

I try to make system require as few people as possible. Erik was sick last week, and Will was out of town. I figure a box would protect the cone. I have a rigging point on my truck bed, with which I can hoist the set up into the bed for transport, after rolling it on a hand truck or arbor trolley to the truck. I need weight on the front of the mini to load/ unload. I don't know if the auger would do it. Doubt it.

Rajan and Brendon, can you post a close up of your augers? Do they dangle, or are they rigidly mounted?

I wonder if I could take add quick-connects, take off the control valve, shield the cylinder, and put four heavy duty bolts through the base plate, and put on a removable mini-mounting plate, possibly weld studs onto the plate. Some up front cost, but it would be able to be picked up and put down by the mini, and still used Horizontal and Vertical. Cheaper than the auger or a dedicated mini-mounted splitter.

Back