Mentors/mentoring

I want to be sure and mention that Willie and Frans were both hellacious good mentors when it came to converting an old flat lander DdRT climber to an SRT climber ready to tackle the redwoods. I had seen the videos, even tried to show my students the basics of the techniques, but until I was rigged up with the proper gear and shown how to use it properly, it just hadn't clicked. Since then I have modified several of my older techniques to incorporate part of what I learned on a sunny day in northern California to make it easier to climb trees on equally sunny days, although somewhat cooler, on the plains of North Dakota. The education put it in my head, the mentoring got it out to my extremities and made it work.

Thanks fellows.

We've got a fine assembly of arborists here. The wealth of knowledge flowing through this place constantly blows me away and I'm humbled but proud to be a part of it.

Really, what Brian just posted is so true...what we have here in fact, is superb mentoring going on every day. It's flowing in all directions as particular expertise or advice in need by one member is drawn from our collective knowlege base.

I've been told that one of the reasons people enjoy my workshops is because I keep it light, for the most part. Humor is a great way to do that, and sure makes the whole process more fun for both the student and the instructor.

I miss Frans! He had a subtle way of explaining things in a good way. Then when that didn't work he'd beat it into my thick head!

We've got a fine assembly of arborists here. The wealth of knowledge flowing through this place constantly blows me away and I'm humbled but proud to be a part of it.

I always knew we were full of something, just didn't know it was knowledge!

A teacher is what we get at college to achieve qualifications.

The one and only saw mentor I had, taught me to roll a fatty one handed, how to chill out in the heat of summer and press on in the cold of winter. He taught me how to skin a rabbit, and how to catch a pheasant with my bare hands. How to light a fire in 2 feet of snow with only a lighter in your pocket.

He was also a top saw man. That was not the be all and end all.

A mentor gives you a learning in "life".

RIP Col Simpson.

Reading what people advise at the treehouse about work related things, it generally comes across as clearer here than at the other forums, is my impression.

I agree Jay. There are so many things about The Tree House that separate it from the other tree forums... one thing that I think that enables us to have the bond and unity that we have is, quite simply, it's not a pissing contest here. Nobody gives a shit if you are a bad ass climber or not.... you don't have up-teen years experience doing tree work to participate in the forums... hell, you don't even have to have any involvement in the tree industry whatsoever and you'll still be accepted here.

About the only thing that isn't tolerated is being a jackass who thinks their shit don't stink.... they get chewed up and spit out quick!!;)

There are a bunch of Canadians here but nothing in life is perfect... eh, hosers!:P:P

Hehe, bad Branch Doctor.:D

My computer was down so I missed this thread. it's a good one.

I am a strong advocate for mentorship in tree work. It is so easy to teach somebody something like a timber hitch, but it takes so long for them to understand when, where or how it should be used.

I was extremely lucky to get hooked up with Ed Hobbs. This relationship turned into a long and productive mentorship for me. I have tried to return what I was taught to all and anyone who was willing to learn. I have never worried about competition.

Ed contacted me the other day and said he has written a book about the early days and the B & H crew. Sent a couple of chapters to read. Kind of nostalgic, easy to forget the stupid things we used to do when we were young and didn't know any better. I still do stupid things... but at least now I know better.

Dave

Attachments

• Cadre of the Mews.JPG
    Cadre of the Mews.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 31
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good post Dave, seems like Mr. Hobbs is a natural mentor.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to an oldtimer at the Mass Tree Wardens annual holiday lunch yesterday. The guy was in his mid 80's and sharp as a tack, had all kinds of stories. He asked me three times if I have ever taken down a tree using only cross cut saws...

It seems like a lot of us got pretty lucky when it came to finding a good mentor, which is probably why we're all still in the business and members of the TH. But has anybody here ever had a teacher who refused to teach them something out of fear of competition? I've heard about guys who wouldn't show their groundies how to tie a tautline hitch because once they knew it, they could go out and start their own tree service business.

Back