measuring tree lean over time

pantheraba

More biners!!!
There are trees that I notice periodically as I drive and note they are leaning. I'll ride by again and they seem to be leaning more...a subjective measure.

Anyone keep track of developing tree leans as a way to let a potential customer know they need to be aware a tree is becoming more of a threat over time?

Some trees lean for years...some only a few days. I have done crude estimates by tying a line to a trunk and see if the line gets tighter over time...I'd like to be able to record lean from a distance (curbside e.g.) without having to access a person's private property.

Do I need an inclinometer? Any inexpensive ones to recommend? Methods?

If it's good and healthy, I just tell them to monitor the root ball on the far side, especially after a heavy, soaking rain.

I pound two nails in the trunk in a vertical orientation. The distance doesn't much matter but I like about 2 to 3 feet of separation. I then hang a plum bob from the top nail and measure the distance between the string and the bottom nail. Record the distance and remeasure as needed. Leave the nails in place so you can measure the exact same spot every time.

Obviously he nails need to be pounded on the under side of the lean. Make sense?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If it's good and healthy, I just tell them to monitor the root ball on the far side, especially after a heavy, soaking rain.

Same here, if there are no obvious targets, stamp around a bit on the root plate, no hollow sound....should be ok.
I emphasise though, no obvious targets.

A friend in wisconsin showed me this years ago and I love it and have installed it on a few trees since then...

Hang a eye-hook up in the tree somewhere. Hang a plumb bob from it. Where it touches the ground, pound a stake in. We used a giant 12" nail. Pound it all the way in so they can still mow the lawn and stuff.

Come back later. 6 months...year? Then rehang the plumb bob and see if it still lines up.

2 good ideas. I'm going to try it on a big oak in front yard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The root ball is good but it is like "raccoon eyes" for a First Responder...if you see "raccoon eyes" it means something started going wrong much earlier and is probably too late to be effective.

The two plumb bob tricks are excellent...thanks.

Still, both require putting hands on the trees...how can you do it remotely?

I think it would be hard to do it reliably remotely. Maybe set up a camera, make sure it's level, then hang a throw line from the tree (to get a plumb reference) then measure the tree angle in the photo, then recheck later?

Find a spot at a distance from the tree, perpendicular to the lean (better accuracy but it isn't critical), easy to retrieve next time. Take a pic of the tree / trunk, including some post, fence, wall, house or other tree as a reference. Save the pic (that keeps the date) and draw or calculate the angle between the trunk and the ref. Or just compare with the new pic next time (including the same reference of course), or copy/paste it with Photoshop at 50% density...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That may be the answer...there is a house in the neighborhood that has a 70 foot oak leaning towards the house...maybe 15 feet from house. I'll try the picture method and see if I can get an angle from that.

good suggestion.

Back