Martial Arts

Absolutely, Jay. That is why I say it is all about timing.
If you try a high kick just like that, you'll most likely get punched in the face or swept.
Move in with a couple of hard punches to the face and when the opponent is occupied with those, whack him on the ear with a kick.
I could show that a lot easier than I can explain it.
Next gettogether, perhaps.

I was thinking about Gary.
I don't beat up on ( other) old men;)

Just saw a picture on Facebook, one of my school chums has a son that just got his black belt in Karate. at 12.......

10-12 year old kids with black belts are the reason, I'd prefer not to wear mine.
It has lost all meaning and been turned into a bad joke.

It has lost all meaning and been turned into a bad joke.
I'm not a student of the arts but my ex supposidely was a first degree black belt in what,less than year ???I think it had more to do with her instructer trying to get in her knickers than her skills .

Butch, I have been pondering getting him into a martial art, was thinking to wait till he is 5. Not sure what variation or discipline would be best. I don't want him in something overly aggressive but also I dont want the other side of the spectrum either. I want him to gain self confidence from it and if he HAS to defend himself, I want him to have the tools to solve the problem and get out of trouble.

Where I'm going no one can become a black belt in less than 6 years. At least that is my understanding. It will take some much longer.

Most of you like to talk about the contact type of stuff .My son was in Judo for a few years starting at 6 years old . Although he only did it for a couple years he ended up being a fine jr high and high school wrestler as a result of his former training which of course had to be modified somewhat .

Where I'm going no one can become a black belt in less than 6 years. At least that is my understanding. It will take some much longer.

It sure took me a lot longer.

I had trained karate fanatically for a little over 20 years before I became a blackbelt.
Partly because I didn't care for getting one and partly because I refused to do all the bullshit one was subjected to in order to get permission to try out for it.

Finally I swithed to another style with less bullshit and my sensei asked me to test for it because it was getting awkward to have a brown belt teach the advanced classes.

So I became a black belt. Didn't notice that my karate got any better because of that.

It sure took me a lot longer.

I had trained karate fanatically for a little over 20 years before I became a blackbelt.
Partly because I didn't care for getting one and partly because I refused to do all the bullshit one was subjected to in order to get permission to try out for it.

Finally I swithed to another style with less bullshit and my sensei asked me to test for it because it was getting awkward to have a brown belt teach the advanced classes.

So I became a black belt. Didn't notice that my karate got any better because of that.

That actually sounds similar to the story of my instructor. He didn't go into details but said he didn't like the politics of it. I'm getting in over my head in this discussion though because I really don't know much about it.

I have been getting my lad Haakon into Muay Thai. Well I am a bit biased there.

He is 4 years old in the picture, but he complained that the gloves smelt too bad. So we popped down to the gym and grabbed him a pair of 6 oz kiddies gloves. The shorts were a gift from the guy I lived and trained with in Thailand. Obviously too small for me. I would love Haakon to start Muay Thai on a regular basis for the discipline and self defense but reckon he is still too young. We have a mess about on a weekend with the hand pads and do a few exercises and a bit of sparring. BUT, everything is done with fun in mind. He loves it!

I will take him to the childrens class next year at my MT Gym. I would also love him to get into BJJ but again that is for later in life.

At the moment he is loving gymnastics and swimming... :)

Attachments

• hmt.jpg
    hmt.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8
Most of you like to talk about the contact type of stuff .My son was in Judo for a few years starting at 6 years old . Although he only did it for a couple years he ended up being a fine jr high and high school wrestler as a result of his former training which of course had to be modified somewhat .

Judo definetly translate well to wrestling.

I think biggun has the right idea...the basics for almost ANY sport is gymnastics...learning how to efficiently use your own body. It teaches kinesthetics (awareness of where you are) and you have to understand where you are and what is possible before you can decide what to do...be it karate, wrestling, soccer, dancing, running, tree climbing, etc. When in doubt study gymnastics...the base will be in place to study a specific martial art later.

Ok, at 3:25 in this video, how much is power and how much is pancake effect?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/16X_kkoj9-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back