The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

Sorry @cory I just refound this thread. As you know I just started BJJ a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I took myself out of class for two weeks by getting snipped. I’m going to drill tomorrow but not going to roll for another week at least. I’ve been going and observing though. Picking up a lot and seeing a lot of translation from when I took judo and aikido 25 years ago. We’ve been basically working on escapes from guard or passing guard. Wednesday they tossed in some judo take downs which I enjoyed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice, Rich. Funny I was just going to ask you how your bjj journey is going when you mentioned it in another thread. Keep us posted!

Sean, it's april 13, biggest n best card in ufc history

Nice one Rich. Keep at it mate.

Today was a good day. Haakon and a few team mates competed at the Ippon Cup BJJ comp. The Ippon cup is o e of the oldest Judo competition in Norway and few years ago they introduced BJJ.

Great tournament and setup. Haakon had 5 in his group so they did a round Robin style setup. Fight everyone and most wins takes the gold.

Haakon had 4 fights. 1st fight won by submission from guard. Second fight was 2-2 at the end and Haakon won by advantage. 3rd was 0-0 but Haakon took it on judges decision based on activity and searching for subs. 4th fight the same, 0-0 and took the judges decision as he was more active in searching for subs.

He was a bit pissed he did t get the subs in the last 2 matches but watched them back and was happy with the wins and his decisions during the matches. He now has something work on the coming weeks.

Most importantly, his knee was fine and held up well with no pain after 4 pretty tough matches.

IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8405.jpeg

I'm good with a Bo, but this lady.....................Wow!

I missed that Bo vid, I'll check it out.

So ftr, at UFC 300, Max Holloway vs Justin Gaetche was one of the prime match ups of the night. They both have deep fight resumes, Max is former 145 champ. They were fighting for the so called BMF belt in a scheduled 5 rounder. In closing moments of rd1 Max likely broke Justin's nose with a spinning back kick/heel to the face. They fought on into the 5th round with Max up on the scorecards, the fight was in the bag for him. But instead of coasting and winning by decision, with 10 seconds left in the fight he risked everything and signaled to Justin and pointed to the ground meaning 'lets stand and trade right here right now. He's done that twice before leading to epic finishes. Here's the clip of what happened last night, it left the mma world dumbfounded.

Max is a legend

Back