Madrone - Crane - Removal

My sentiments, exactly..... except my lower back hurts so no genuflecting..

Reg, I've met Dan at one of the many climbing comp's I've shot. I posted this on FB, where he and I are friends..
10339265_10203987863509683_6542200836062870755_o.jpg

Belayed speed climb event. Basically free climb to the top, fastest time wins, free climb style but on belay with a two man belay team.

What a beautiful balancing act, Reg. Those pics were so smooth. Pure engineering and rigging experience at work. Thank you for being you.

On another note I love the way madrone cuts such a clean curf. A sharp saw will never bind up in it. Even a handsaw. Though madrone is notorious for slabing out if you're not on top of things.

Thanks for sharing!

Great job. It's always nice when more than enough crane for the job shows up. I'm always impressed with how you've mastered the rigging and balancing of the tree. Some of those cuts just seemed to not move a bit until you told him it was all his. Keep the videos coming and stay safe.

Just move.

Not that it matters to anyone but my internet was ok until recently, it seems that as more and more people in my rural community go online my connection weakens and drops out regularly.
Irritating, and yes Cory, sometimes I feel like moving because of it. Won't happen though.

Hi Reg, thank you for taking the time and sharing this video with us. I (like others) really like the way that you narrate the before and after description of the job.

Couple of questions; did you have the crane lift you into the tallest leader and start your work from there, keeping that main TIP throughout the job, or did you end up using several different TIPs? Did you have to climb around a lot in between picks, or did the crane bring you to different points to set the rigging? Did you consider SRT for this job, once you were tied in, or did the tree lend itself more for conventional DbdRT climbing?

Thanks, look forward to the next one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Reg, thank you for taking the time and sharing this video with us. I (like others) really like the way that you narrate the before and after description of the job.

Couple of questions; did you have the crane lift you into the tallest leader and start your work from there, keeping that main TIP throughout the job, or did you end up using several different TIPs? Did you have to climb around a lot in between picks, or did the crane bring you to different points to set the rigging? Did you consider SRT for this job, once you were tied in, or did the tree lend itself more for conventional DbdRT climbing?

Thanks, look forward to the next one.

Thanks Chris, and good to hear from you.

The crane didnt lift me anywhere, I just spurred up it. I used 3 TIPs throughout the job....high points I mean. A couple times I set a redirect for my climb line on some of the longer and more upright limbs when I was setting multiple slings.....It made it easier and somewhat safer. No I didnt really consider SRT....with spurs and a big open crown like that, there wasnt much if any benefit. The bark is almost slippy even when dry on those trees, so very little rope friction wherever I was tied in. Thanks.

Are you not allowed to ride the ball? I'll take a free ride anytime I can get it, unless it's faster to just climb.

Attachments

• sore butt.JPG
    sore butt.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice pic.

Depends on the company. In this instance I couldnt even be bothered having the conversation for what it was. Had it been a messy or super tall tree to climb I might have, but as it was I was up there in a couple of minutes.

Back