Loop Runners

Anyone use locking carabiners for speed lining? I found these for cheap, but am not sure on the brand. Other option I was thinking is this

At $8 apiece, I'd use the screw-locks in a minute. You can always leave them UN-locked if you don't want them locked. I probably wouldn't trust the others you linked. The screw-locks would shine when ziplining in heavy cover, where the sliding limbs might slam into other limbs and whatnot, which could either hang and/or damage the gates on weaker carabiners.

I actually used several of these, along with a piece of 3/8" cord (around 1200# rating) for my first zipline clips. I've sent many a limb down with them, and have had no problems.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 54
I think I'm going to make up 10 to start with...glad I saw this thread, I have been wanting to get together zip line stuff and was about to buy some webbing to make loops but I like the Maxim cord idea better.

Nick, I found these on Ebay and love them. Rated at 50kn. (11000#). Price is right. Brian had turned me on to some at WesSpur that are rated the same just a tad more expensive. Nice gate opening as well.. Not to mention they will handle your larger rigging needs....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290509808924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$(KGrHqQOKiQE4TYI2PcPBOHIqdlvBw~~_3.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stephen those look pretty small eh? I have been looking for a really small locker...

TopNotch, Maxim = way better than webbing.

Jack? We know it is stiff, how did it work for you today? Get a chance to try it out?

Did you configure any with the fixed biner and the loop? I really like the ability to basket choke or have a longer single line choker.

Yeah, Nick ... I used them today when deadwooding a black oak - not speed lining, just loop & chuck. They worked great ... no snagging like with the tube-runners. I used a triple-overhand (aka triple-fisherman) and a figure-nine-loop - tide-dressed-set with about 300lbs - taped the tails - about 5' long with a Black Diamond Positron bent key gate. Makes for a lighter more compact runner.

THANKS, :D ;)

Attachments

• Maxim Loop Runners.jpg
    Maxim Loop Runners.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Maxim Loop Runner.jpg
    Maxim Loop Runner.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 38
Sorry, I posted "about 5' long" in the earlier post. Both the F9 and the TFL are very rope hungry. I should also add: I made the loop big enough so it easily fit around a winter gloved hand - maybe 12-14". I did measure the 7' but the other measurements are just estimates.

:)

Sorry, I posted "about 5' long" in the earlier post. Both the F9 and the TFL are very rope hungry. I should also add: I made the loop a big enough so to easily fit around a winter gloved hand - maybe 12-14". I did measure the 7' but the other measurements are just estimates.

:)

My bad, I realized that after I asked....:|:

I made up one today that only measures about 3' long, but it's just a trial runner. I can tie a bowline big enough for the snap to pass through and still girth a 5"-6" piece, which is bigger than anything I'd be ziplining out of a tree.

I love the Black Diamond Positron carabiners. I only wish they had a triple lock version approved for climbing.

Anyone tried the Sterling Accessory Cord. It has a similar breaking strength and its only .50 a foot. Its at the bottom of the page here. I'm wondering if its particularly stiff or supple.

I'm trying the Samson Poly Cord three up from the Sterling on that page. 5000# and .75/foot, or $13.50/20', which is what I got. Pretty pliable, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I have always found sterling products to be of the highest quality... I imagine that is similar to if not the same as the accessory cord in their rock climbing line off products, all of which are kernmantle and very soft and supple..

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

When I started in the business we roped ever single limb out of the trees, individually. Loop runners, snap on gear and speed-lines were not in our vocabulary, let alone in our practice.

It wasn't until the mid 80's I started figuring these things out. Making my own gear and making it work.

today these simple rigging methods are common place. And more is being learned all the time.

It's so cool to see.

Gerry I just want to say that coming from climbing trees in relative isolation your book was the most inspiring of all the books ( along with the tree climber's companion ) I read when starting out 5 years ago at 40. It surely taught me a lot, then came the dvds. Thanks for making those resources readily available to me. It has surely kept me safe and gave me the confidence to go out there and just get on with it. Paul in Barbados. PS, I have come so far in such a short space of time due to those references and I have always run my own business, doing all the climbing and have a fair amount of work considering the size of this island.

Back