Lombardy poplar, what to expect?

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
Ok, saw some comments on the video thread on Lombardi poplar...I have a large (for me) removal coming up on my return to Tasmania...what are the timber characteristics...is it snappy or flexible or what? Never been in one before.
The tree is probably 3' diameter and maybe 50' tall if that, been reduced sometime previously.

have a pic somewhere, just need to find the SD card...

The wood is typical populus, Bermy...soft, flexible, small stuff is brittle, but it will hinge and hold well.
One that size will be a walk in the park for ya!

The wood is typical populus, Bermy...soft, flexible, small stuff is brittle, but it will hinge and hold well.
One that size will be a walk in the park for ya!

Roger is on point. Brittle nasty crappy messy twiggy ugly but the bigger stuff behaves okay.

Like these gentlemen said, Fiona: soft populous. Can you fall it? If so, knock a biggish gap into the face with a sizweal? sizwill? German cut underneath it, and watch it hit the lay.

Do you have to rope-out the top/tops? If so (provided there are multiple tops) use two blocks. Trust me, it will cut the scary-sway factor way, way down. ;)

Topped more like, you will be able to see where it has been cut on the way up, just have a good look and make sure you are happy with it. Most of them are fine to climb, but if I ever pass on a tree it will probably be a lombardy. If it has multiple stems high up and you need to climb high then I often tie in to two or more.

Brittle and snappy, but the spear cut is your friend!

They are really simple trees to remove, just poles really, but do remember when you take the top out that a 3" diameter stem can have 20' of height still, its easy to get caught out!

They don't do well in these parts and are lucky to make much over 18" in diameter if that , maybe 40 feet tall . You're lucky to get twenty years out of them before they die .

Not seen much any more but at one time planted for wind breaks with pines inside of them .By the time the poplar died off the pines had a little size to them .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Excellent comments and advice all around thank you.
It will be hollow, and probably a few gallons on honey in it.
A few pictures of the intended victim...its on a heritage property, old schoolhouse. They had to get permission to remove it.

Attachments

• IMGP7141.JPG
    IMGP7141.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMGP7142.JPG
    IMGP7142.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGP7143.JPG
    IMGP7143.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 11
I remember when I started climbing I was relieved to remove them. They were so wobbly, but it was easy to cut large limbs with a hand saw, so when I got to the top I'd do just that and it made it a bit easier for me to prep for the impending ride.

Honey, you say? I want some!

love
nick

I'm thinking to break out a crane of some sort for it...there will be rather big pieces when it comes out.
To paraphrase a famous movie line:

"I think we're gonna need a bigger saw"

Can you guess the movie?

Ha! Canadian got it!

Good ole Jaws.

It probably is hollow, and full of honey, got a 460 I can borrow...thanks again for the great tips everyone.

Back