Locust = Killer tree

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
60ton crane J??

50/70 ton. We did not put the counterweight s on so technically, 50. You can run the fulll 130' of power boom with out weights. This crane will get into very tight spots and has great capacity:)

I'll bet you were skeered... nice, high pucker factor being on the tree during the first few picks. After my recent incident, I don't know if I'd have done it.

We don't see locust fail that way aroune here either. We do have the borers. I have one in the back yard that was hit by lightening 50 years ago and split 3 ways straight down the trunk to the ground. Still solid. You must have a fungus would be my guess.

Great pictures, John...well done. That sort of job SHOULD give anyone the willies.

I'm gonna have to throw out an old man's warning...don't let success with that pair make you feel like the envelope can bear to be pushed a little more on the next hazardous tree, eh? Peapod needs you around for a good long time.

You really do great work, sorry to be a crumudgeon.

Them was some dead ass trees John, glad everything went well.

They were both alive but very decayed....Don't worry Burnham, I listened to the little voice inside, thats why I insisted on a crane. Someday maybe a spider lift will be a tag team to be ultra safe..........I would not have even considered roping anything outta those mofos'

I know you are a thinking man, John. I'm not really too concerned about you getting carried away with yourself.

I appreciate you letting me worry out loud at you without telling me to mind my own business.

I bring it up only because I have seen a cutter or two decide that since they got away with falling a nasty one without incident, they began to feel competant, even complacent about taking on anything...and then get bit. I suppose it's human nature, and we all need to watch out for the tendency, me included.

Great shots.... of a scary job. You did good. Someday you will lay awake at night and flash back on it. I still do from a few scary old rotten trees I took on many years ago.

Some people let there trees go too long after dying. I like to get right on them. With the bug kill happening on the coast there's so many dead pines right now it's scary just thinking about all the ones that are too far gone to climb. But someone will and I'll read about it in the paper. It's just a matter of time.

Locust is rather odd.You can make fence posts that last for decades but when they die on the vine,the rot gets to them .

Thanks for telling the story, Biv. Hope you made money; you earned it.

I did OK....it was for friends:/: Thier kids have been playing under them for years, and they were about to build an addition which would have eliminated crane access........so I said now or never for me.

tight squeeze
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2iw2tVwNPSI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2iw2tVwNPSI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

the all wheel steer is awesome!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V-NebIsqDfg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V-NebIsqDfg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Question.

When you do a crane job, who chooses the best crane for the scenario? Does the company come out and look at the job with you, or do you just say "I want XX ton crane"?

I've never used one but would like to consider it someday!

Question.

When you do a crane job, who chooses the best crane for the scenario? Does the company come out and look at the job with you, or do you just say "I want XX ton crane"?

I've never used one but would like to consider it someday!

I decide what size crane to use. I'll sometimes meet with the crane guy or have him go check out a job if it's really hairy.

I decide crane...have them look next. Super tight = AT crane. Sometimes truck crane access is no biggie. This rig has 130' power boom, jibbed out with counterweights to 180':\:....with great capacity.

When I schedule for a crane they give me the option of what size crane. I usually don't care what size crane they send out to me. I am usually more concerned with who they send out. Because the smallest crane they have is a 23 ton.

If they send me someone new, the next thing I say after greeting the guys is this; "Have you ever worked with a tree guy before?":?

Back