Local Climbing Rescue by S.O.R.T., Life-flighted to Harborview Trauma

SeanKroll

Treehouser

Happy to hear that there is a good team nearby.

Had lunch yesterday with a retired firefighter/ currently small-scale logger who used to be on the team. Told me a local, experienced arborist worked with the Special Operations Rescue Team a few years back on some training.

Bigleaf maples are notoriously dangerous.

This was in an reasonably intact section of forest, where a lot of the parcels are 5 acres/ primary residence. Forest trees will hold up to storms that more open-grown residential trees never would, as the wind stays over the top more. Wood can be more decayed, but remain.
Trees can break in storms, and regrow a canopy, with hidden damage or decay, whereas they would more typically be removed after a storm if near a house. A lot of this area is being developed, and people cut a space for a house out of the woods, often keeping questionable trees, and damaging them with excavation/ trenching/ filling, leading to slow decline, with things beneath, such as gardens, septic systems, outdoor lighting, etc.

I have no details, aside from what I read here...
https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article238003504.html same article I posted in another thread.

oof, I hate reading close to home stories like that! Lucky that the fd had aerial rescue training, not super common

Back