Lets see your fleet..

Here are some shots of our fleet (a small portion :lol: )

1_davey.png

hurricane-ohiotrucks.jpg

daveytreevw-jetta-2011.jpg

Dennis, there doesn't appear to be any windows on that bus. Don't you feel a little isolated inside with the cheerleaders that way?

Jay, the windows are still there. They have a slightly different wrap on them. The top strip, 2 to 3 feet tall for the length of the bus is window.

And what's wrong with isolation? Although I haven't driven them this year. I've mainly been with the football team so far. This was the first year I missed "cheer camp". One week spent out of state with about 15 different universities squads. Oh well, there's always next year. :)

Nick, is a bucket part of your crew every day?

We have 3 buckets and 2 line trucks. We generally only run two crews. Since the one line truck (two ton chip truck) is out of service we usually run 1 bucket/1 2ton and one bucket. The other bucket generally stays home as we only have two 'real' chippers.

Last week or two, with the storm we had we started running a third crew, but that was a big debacle.

No, lol. The surprised look on the bosses faces when they split 2 crews into three. You send two guys out with nothing but a truck and work orders. No saws, poles, ropes, rigging equipment, pruners, ladders, rakes, shovels, nothing.

Then when I let the boss know they needed a portawrap he snapped at me that they HAD a porty. "Yeah, my personal one I loaned them so they didnt candy stripe your customers trees" He scoffed at me and walked away. Needless to say I took my porta wrap back. Forget about saying "yeah, we really stretched with getting this crew on the road, I appreciate you covering the gap, I will order one." NONONO, he scoffed at me and walked away.

He actually looked surprised when he came out and saw me fill my truck up emptying all my personal tools off the trucks later last week.

Um, How do you send guys out w/ no saws?

If I could go to a job without saws and still get paid, why complain? Would they deduct gas and oil usage?

Um, How do you send guys out w/ no saws?

Look, when I made that log couch, The saw I got sent with wouldnt run, so I found one of the crews and traded them for a dif saw, when the sprocket exploded I got asked how I broke the sprocket.... ya know, by holding the throttle and cutting wood. Defintely outside the operating parameters of a chain saw, I know...

So I called the big boss and told him, he started screaming that IF I dont tell him its gonna break, he cant fix it... I was supposed to predict a broken sprocket? Who knows. Anyway I tell him that I have a 460 in my pickup (my saw) he says fine use that. Well I tell him its gonna take me a non-billable hour to come back and get it, so he tells me the he will STOP what he is doing to bring it to me. So I tell him its locked up in my truck, like any sensible person would keep it. He goes ballistic asking me why i would lock my chainsaw up in my truck, and how its not his fault and its all my fault.

I know, locking MY $1000 tool up, CRAZY. Offering to loan it to the largest residential tree tree service in the goddam world and getting screamed at for it? Even crazier.

Hell of a story, Nick. When you guys go out on jobs, do you take just enough saws for each person that will use one, without backups? You must have mentioned it earlier, but only company saws can be used?

I'm surprised you're still working there Nick, Davey is typically a short stop for many along their career path. I've heard good things about the residential side of the business however.

Brendon, nice chipper how do you like it compared to the woodsman? Where did you get the tent setup you park under?

jp:D

How do they make the big bucks if so poorly run?

Back in the day (early 80s) I worked for a similar sounding outfit. Most everybody was drug addled on pot and coke and booze (not that that is the case at davy), everybody beat the living shit out of the trucks and gear, so all the gear they bought was always the smallest and cheapest, I used all my own gear except for climbing saw. Guess what? They got bought out by The Care of Trees but they were basically insolvent and went out of business. Probably 10% of their people were productive tree men.

From many of your posts, Nick, you guys sound very productive, but this thread makes me wonder how!

Hell of a story, Nick. When you guys go out on jobs, do you take just enough saws for each person that will use one, without backups? You must have mentioned it earlier, but only company saws can be used?

We are supposed to only use company stuff, but of course they are more than willing to let you use your own stuff. My boss complains that he spent $4k on saws last year, ummm yeah, you run a tree service bro. Generally speaking a 2 or 3 man crew will run with either two 460s and two trim saws or one 460 and a 660, with two trim saws.

The 'new' crew we started last week has a 362 and a 192.

Back